Lee Loader?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by hunterfisher, Mar 3, 2010.

1. hunterfisher

hunterfisher New Member

I just paid, $72.00 for two boxes of, Federal 85gr. Sierra Game Kings ammo. These prices are rediculous. I'm thinking of buying a, Lee Loader. I had a major stroke in 1985 and I sometimes have trouble understanding directions. I'm seeking advice on the mechanics of this product. Besides, powder - primers - and bullets, what else would I have to purchase? I shoot a .243 and being disabled, D.A.V, I have plenty of time to shoot, but like I said, can't afford buying ammo over the counter. Any and all help, would be much appriciated. Thanks.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

First, a Lee Loader only neck-sizes the brass. If your 243 is a bolt or a single shot, that is fine, but if it is a pump, lever or automatic, a Lee Loader won't reload your brass satisfactorily.

You will need, to reload, brass, primers, bullets, powder and some way to accurately measure it, and a loading manual. If using a Lee Loader you will also need a hammer and something you can pound on. That's pretty much it.
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Back in the old days when reloading presses were massive and expensive, the Lee Loader made sense. Today things are different.

The price of a single-stage Lee press is quite reasonable nowadays. I recommend getting a press rather than the Lee Loader. As Alpo said, bottleneck rifle rounds can be difficult to reload with the Lee Loader. With a Lee bench press the process is much easier.

You can find some useful videos on using a Lee reloading press on youtube.

Welcome to TFF.
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    PLEASE UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM ABOUT TO SAY IS IN NO WAY DOUBTING YOUR ABILITIES.YOU SAID THAT YOU HAVE TROUBLES UNDERSTANDING INSTRUCTIONS AT TIMES.YES ,RELOADING IS DIF A COST SAVER,BUT YOU MUST BE VERY CAREFUL AND METHODICAL IN RELOADING.YOU MAY CONSIDER SELLING THE 243 AND PURCHASING A 223 CALIBER.THE AMMO IS A LOT LESS AND EASILY PURCHASED IN BULK AT K MARTS AND WALLY WORLD.THE RECOIL IS ALSO A LOT LESS TO ME.ONCE AGAIN NO INSULT MEANT I JUST WANTED TO GIVE YOU ANOTHER WAY TO STILL ENJOY SHOOTING OLD SEMPERFI
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    hunterfisher, reloading is not rocket science. That said, the first thing you should do is buy a reloading manual, and then read it. There you will find the information that you need to reload your 243 ammo, or any other caliber. KISS Lee loaders will do the job, if you buy the right one for your particular needs. Reloading is fun, calming, and a great way to construct ammo that is much cheaper than what you can buy over the counter.
  6. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I got the Lee Anniversary kit for Christmas, and at $100 bucks, I don't think you can beat it. I have added a couple hundred more in accessories since then, but could have gotten by without most of it. I am also loading .243, and am doing it for $8 per box vs. $28 at the store. At that rate, i will pay for my equipment pretty quickly.
  7. hunterfisher

hunterfisher New Member

Thanks for all the help fella's. I've got everything I need to start reloading except, Rem. large rifle primers. Is it necessary to use the same brand primers in a recipe a friend gave me, or can I use any large rifle primers?
    Kenny
  8. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Mainly you just want to use the same type, (large rifle; Federal 210, Remington 9 1/2, Winchester WLR, CCI 200 or BR-2, or what have you,) especially nowadays; I can't get the primers I first started reloading with so I have to make due with what ever they have. Luckily I don't notice a change in accuracy.

But many people load their cartridges hot, you might want to make sure your friends recipe isn't too hot. The only way to know that for sure is to buy a reloading handbook, read it until you understand everything. Then work-up your own loads as the manual suggests.

That is the best way to insure safely. I might add that it is the only way you can find an accurate load specifically for your rifle.

Another way to find if it may be too hot is to post what the recipe is, and someone that loads for that cartridge may be able to tell you how hot it is.

Stay safe!
  9. RandyP

RandyP Member

definitely check out a manual or two (or at least an online resource like from the powder company you are using). A friends recipe may or may not actually be sound or safe.

Stay midrange and whatever primer make you use should pose no issue.
  10. hunterfisher

hunterfisher New Member

I'm shooting a .243. The recipe I was given is; 40gr. IMR and large Rem. rifle primers. The bullet is; Sierra Game King 85gr. BTHP.
    I called, Hodgdon and they said 40.5 gr. would be Max. Have any you fellers tried this load before?
    I sure appriciate all the help. Thanks again. It's hard being a rookie.
    Kenny