Lee Loadmaster-What else do I need?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by The_Vigilante, Dec 5, 2008.

1. The_Vigilante

The_Vigilante New Member

I am contemplating the purchase of the basic Lee Loadmaster for loading 9mm-I already have the 9mm dies on my Lee Classic Turret. In addition to the Case Collator, what else do I need to purchase to get set up right the first time and not have to make additional buying trips? Thanks in advance
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The_Vigilante:

I don't want to throw water on your fire but you probably should look at the Dillon RL550B and the RL650 as well as the Hornady progressive press. They all cost more than the Lee but you get what you pay for.

With the Dillon you get the best warrantee in the business. They will up date your press for free forever, rebuild it when it wears out forever, replace broken parts, all at no cost to you. Mine is over 20 years old, gets used regularly and I, and many other like me, think Dillon to be the best progressive in the business and large part of that is the service.

Hornady makes a comparable press to the RL650 but I have not had the success with their customer service that I have had with Dillon's. Presses break parts because of the sometimes high forces required to do some of the process on them. It really helps when promt and free service comes with the press for replacement parts. Hornady's customer service is no match to Dillon's.

Lee is one of the big innovators in reloading. Some of their designs of products are really good. Where they fall down is in their choice of material to make the designs for sale. My one and only Lee press literally broke every time I used it. Their dies rusted when stored right along side RCBS and others dies when the others did not rust. Their collet style dies have galled on me and I have had to fix them on occasion. Its all about the wrong materials choices for the job with Lee. But that is just my opinion and yours may vary.

LDBennett
  3. The_Vigilante

The_Vigilante New Member

LD.
    Thanks for your input. If you could help me financially I would be more than happy to buy the Dillon 550-B. Do you have one that you will sell me cheap? Unfortunately I don't have that kind of money lying around right now to pick up a new Dillon or Hornady. There is a forum and videos available for the set-up and operation of the Loadmaster and according to many owners, it is reliable once it is set up the correct way. Of course, YMMV.
  4. LDBennett

The_Vigilante:

I understand the cost issues. You have to buy what you can afford at the time. I don't know when posters have cost issues unless they say so. My attitude with reloading equipment is I buy the best I can afford so I don't have to replace it latter. Getting 20 years service out of my Dillon RL550B with it recently being rebuilt and another 10 years before it will require rebuilding again is my idea of value. But you have to do what you have to do. I didn't want you to miss the opportunity to at least consider better presses.

Here's to lots of fun reloading!

LDBennett
  5. bfox

bfox New Member

I found your post doing a search .
    So I registered to give you my opinion .
    Got two Loadmasters and they both run fine .
    At First had some problems but they were not set up right .

I would buy a couple extra primer sliders in case you smash one .
    But if you watch the videos you should be okay .

I am sure 550's are Great .
    Almost ordered one from Grafs tonight .
    But think I will wait for the Hornady LNL
    to be in stock .
    Can never have enough toys .
    Got a SDB but it hardly gets used .
    In fact after Dillon refurbed it this Summer I
    have not used it .
    Don't think that I'd be comfortable with manual indexing .

Look Here http://loadmastervideos.com/

Good Luck in your choice , Bill
  6. LDBennett

Manual Indexing and the Dillon RL550B:

As I said earlier manual indexing makes fixing press screwups a lot easier, in my experience.

My use of the RL550B is fluid motions. As I move to place a empty cartridge on the table I grab the table protrusion (there are four to choose from) with the left hand, rotate the table, slip the case in with the right hand, and pull the handle with the right hand. I can do it in my sleep. The only extra motion is turning the table with my left hand that would be doing nothing if the table had auto advance. The time I save fixing press screwup with the manual indexing is huge. And I believe the press operates no slower than if I had auto indexing, at least the way I do it, since I am moving the table as I start the motions of putting the empty case on the table. I have had case feeders (Lee press) and by the time you load them up you have saved little time overall. Now, with the huge expensive ones that sort and position the case for you using a motor operated mechanism, you would be saving time. But look at all the conmplicated mechanism you have added, all prone to one day fail.

I advocate manual indexing, based on my experiences. Auto indexing, I believe, gives no time advantage, adds cost, and increase down time to fix press screw-ups.

But that's just my opinion and your's may differ.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  7. bfox

bfox New Member

If you use the case collator you save time .
    If loading the tubes by hand into the tubes you do
    not .

Well what did you decide to buy ?

Bill
  8. The_Vigilante

The_Vigilante New Member

bfox,

I was able to buy a used Lee Loadmaster from a shooter on the BE forum at a good price. It is in-transit and will be here on 12/17. I just purchased a new reloading bench to mount it. Here is a link to the description of the bench: :http://www.ufpi.com/product/keystonebench/about.htm. It is narrower than I would like but figure I can bolt a wider top to the top of it.
  9. bfox

bfox New Member

The bench looks very nice .
    Soon it will be loaded up with stuff .
    No matter how big the bench if you are anything like me you
    can clutter it up .

Good Luck with your new Loadmaster .
    I saw you were at the Loadmaster site .
    With the help of the videos you should have no problem .
    If you have any troubles post there .
    Its a slow site but people try to help out those with problems .
    You got to let us know how it goes when you got it setup .

Bill
  10. The_Vigilante

The_Vigilante New Member

Here are some photos of my new reloading bench. I was able to secure it to the wall with 4" screws and it is solid as a rock. Only took like 5 minutes to put the bench together.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  11. tEN wOLVES

tEN wOLVES New Member

Howdy Pard

Your loading bench and loading area is very nicely done, now the fun begins.:cool:

MERRY CHRISTMAS

tEN wOLVES :D