Lee Perfect Powder Measure test report

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Alpo, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

My bench is set up with a Rockchucker and a Uniflo. But I have other equipment set back as a "just in case". Recently I decided to try the new stuff out, and make sure it really works. Plus, I didn't want to take the Unique out of the Uniflo so I could use AA#2.

I have read where you can take a powder measure and, holding it in your hands, move it over the cases in your loading block, charging each case. Instead of having the measure mounted, and moving the loading block underneath it, charging each case. This is what I did with the Lee. It sucks at this.

The adjustment rod/thimble/whatever sticks out so far that, when charging short cases anyway, (I was doing 32 ACP) it hits the loading block. My blocks are set up in five rows of ten. Row one - no problem. Row two - it touches the block, tilting the case slightly, but still doable. Row three - you can't charge row three. Row's four and five - turn the block around so they become one and two, and you can charge them. So, using the Lee with a 50-round block, I can only charge 40 rounds.

The force required to turn the drum is too high. Maybe, if the measure was bench-mounted, this would not be noticeable, but the way I was doing it, I didn't like it. There is an adjustment screw, where you can increase or decrease the force required. The instructions tell you that, with the factory tension setting, "Extremely fine powders may leak very slightly at this setting. This causes no harm. Should you find this objectionable you may tighten the adjusting screw slightly." With the factory setting there was a few granules laying on my loading block. I thought I was being sloppy, and wondered how I was spilling so much powder. Then I loosened the screw to a point where it was easy to turn the drum. Now it looked like I was shaking pepper on my eggs. Every time I turned the drum there was this little "powder cloud" in the air. I tightened the drum back up.

Now, to be fair, AA#2 is about as fine a powder as they make, so if any powder will leak out the edges, this one will.

The working parts are made of nylon, and should, with use, smooth onto each other and become easier to work.

I think that I will bench-mount this thing, and use it for IMR powders. I currently weigh each charge with them, and that gets really old.

Ending thoughts: I'm not real happy with this. If it were all I could afford, I'd probably use it and live with it. Make my powder choices based on what it likes, rather than what I want to use. If I could afford something better, though, I'd get it.

Lee measure, comes with stand - 24 dollars. RCBS Uniflo - 78 dollars + stand 22 dollars = 100 dollars.

Funny, how every Lee die I've used has worked great. Every Lee bullet mould I've used has worked great. But once it starts to get complicated, with moving parts, I'm not real impressed.
  2. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I have & love a Hornady bench mounted powder measure that I can put 50 cases in a loading block & move the block under the fixed measure. That works great. Havn't tried the Lee safety measure used in-hand. I thought it sucked as a measure & threw mine away. I have the other Lee measure that throws powder thru the dies on the turret press & has the disk with the different holes. I have liked that one used as you describe-holding it & moving it around the block while squeezing in the plastic disc to drop the powder. It works great for that. Has a little metal tube that makes it work well that way.
  3. Freebore

Freebore New Member

I agree, the Lee Perfect Powder Measure is not so perfect. I use a Uniflow for most rifle loads and the RCBS Little Dandy Pistol Measure for the small stuff, the Little Dandy was designed for exactly what you were trying to do with the Lee

About $35.00 bucks at Midway (plus rotor)
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have an older Lee powder measure, its all steel, bench mounted and has always worked well. I re check the throw on a scale every 25/ 30th or so anyway. I always figured as you work the jarring would settle the powder, resulting in more in the throw. But once set, its always correct.

Also I only half fill the hopper, to reduce the downward weight, but I am not sure if it has any effect.

Incidentally, I also have the nozzle hitting the loading block with 9mm. Never been a problem as the powder shoots down in a tight jet. In any case I check in the block for stray grains anyway, which would signal a problem. Also a quick Mk1 eyeball check along the rows to ensure they all look to be about the same is a good idea.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2009
  5. gadsden

gadsden New Member

I've used the Lee Perfect Powder Measure for a couple of years and found it to be much more accurate than my RCBS powder measure which I retired. I use it with H110, H4831, Varget, Benchmark, VVn160, and VVn540 and once I set it for the grains I want for any load it is very consistent and requires very little trickling. The most consistent drops come from H110 which is a fairly fine powder but I have had good results even with VVn540 which is a fairly long extruded powder.

When I first got my Lee perfect powder measure I thought it was rather cheaply made compared to the heavy RCBS powder measure but like most Lee products it is better engineered than the more expensive and heavier competition.
  6. techoca

techoca New Member

I like it. I always check several throws with my scale. I only use it this way for handgun loads.

Attached Files:

7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Techoca, what is your powder measure mounted on? It looks like it is attached to the powder through die in some way!
  8. techoca

techoca New Member

gdmoody,
    the press is a LEE Classic Cast press. The measure is mounted using the 2 pre drilled and tapped holes that are supplied with the press. I used 1/4 aluminum bar stock and added a pivot so the measure could be moved into and out of place.

Attached Files: