Lee pro 1000 is up for sale

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jboo37, Mar 9, 2011.

1. jboo37

jboo37 New Member

Well after 3 hours today and 3 times pulling it apart, I loaded 35 rounds of 40 S&W. I just can't seem to get it to function right. I know it works and it is (was) clean. I was pretty happy at first, then the dreaded primer feed problems. Anyway I posted it here on the buy, sell and trade forum, so if you Lee lovers want to pick up a good used machine let me know. Tax time is here and I think I might turn Blue.....JB.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Another satisfied LEE owner!

jboo37, whatever you do don't offer it for free or the trouble will begin.

LDBennett
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I loaded about 600 45s with mine and there it sits. The quality of the ammo it produces stinks. The primer feed is always not feeding and you charge a round and the powder goes out on the machine. I just quit loading since what I was loading wasnt worth the trouble. Its suppose to be enjoyable. I know this has been discussed many times before but for those of you who are looking to reload, dont start with a lee progressive. Oh yea I know, there are some of you out there that love yours. Thats nice. You keep loving yours. Im done with mine.
  4. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

And don't offer to pay me to take it either.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I dont care much for progressives period. No matter the color
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

It took me about 3 hours to load 50 rounds of .223 on my Dillon 550 yesterday. That is why there is a 223 caliber conversion kit for sale in the buy/sale/trade forum! They all have their problems, even though Lee's problems are worse.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  7. LDBennett

gdmoody:

If you do it my way with the Dillon RL550B it takes about 15 minutes to set it up and another 30 to 45 minutes gets you 100 rounds or more assuming you don't have to trim the brass.

You setup the dies on the die plate and leave them on the die plate forever (you need a die plate, or whatever Dillon calls it, for every set of dies). I have only one powder measure that takes a few minutes to set for the correct powder delivery but that includes bolting the measure together,and selecting the right powder bar (the powder measure is disassembled at the end of the session for storage and to clear out ALL the powder). As the powder die stays on the die plate no adjustments are necessary after the first time the dies are set up. The shell plate and buttons bolt onto the press as does the primer system. It too is taken apart at the end of every session so you have to pick the correct primer assembly (large or small primer) and bolt it to the press.

I have a chart of what every cartridge takes for shell plate, powder funnel and buttons. I cross reference them and buy only the pieces I don't already have. It is amazing how many of these parts interchange (use the same parts). The instruction manual use to have that info in it in the back.

If it took you 3 hours to do 50 rounds you must have been really confused. It is not that hard if your do as I do and leave the dies all pre-setup.

I do this with all 30+ cartridges so changing between them is easy.

LDBennett
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I am not confused. I have been trying for three weeks off and on to get the powder regulated with the new .223 caliber conversion that I bought. It will not throw a consistent charge. I have been using the Dillon to load pistol cartridges for over a year and have never, repeat never had a problem with it. The minute I buy a NEW rifle kit, the problems started.

I had three toolheads so I don't remove the dies from them. The only exception is two weeks ago when I bought this NEW .223 kit, I removed the .45 ACP dies from it and put the .223 dies in their place. I adjusted everything and all dies are working correctly except the powder die. I went as far as going out last week and buying a NEW quick exchange kit to put the NEW caliber conversion kit in and no matter what I did, I still could not get a consistent throw.

It takes three hours when you have to take every powder charge you throw and weigh it individually. Each time I did, I would dump the powder back in the "hopper" and throw another one. I was trying to get 24.6 grains of Win 748, some times the thing would throw 24.6, then something like 25.2, 23.3, 24.2. 24.6, 25.1, and so on, never the same twice in a row.

I'm here to tell you that I stayed in my reloading building for close to 6 hours yesterday, with about half of it screwing around with this thing. I did manage to get a couple of hundred .380s loaded with the LEE press, during that time.

I took the set up apart at least twice to make sure everything was right, I even turned the powder funnel (the thing in the conversion kit that drops the powder) upside down and tried it that way and nothing changed. Therefore I have given up on .223 in the Dillon and from now on I will reload them on my LEE single stage that I have been using for 30+ years. It has never failed me!!

I truly find that reloading is very relaxing. Yesterday was a different story, I was ready to pull out what little hair I have. It was enough to make a preacher cuss!!:D I was not happy with spending close to $150 and not being able to do what I wanted to do with the blue press. It wasn't a total loss since I now have another toolhead with powder measure so I can set up another caliber (PISTOL, that is).

LD, you know any body who wants a .223 conversion kit? I have one for sale.
  9. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Ld & GD you boys musin fight over Big Blue and that Ole Red Lee thing. Remember you guy's are friends. I thought everyone here knew all the other presses are better than Lee. Good thing you had your Lee's though Moody, or you wouldn't have gotten any ammo loaded. As I said before, I have 3 Lees and load lots all the time. Don't understand all the fuss!
  10. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

I traded a LEE 1000 for 75 lbs of Linotype. Damn I was glad to get rid of that nightmare.

RC
  11. raysmithson1

raysmithson1 Member

Oh how I love my new LNL hornady,,, had a 1000, primers sucks, love my new hornady
  12. LDBennett

gdmoody:

So it is the powder measure that is the problem, not the press in general. Sounds like setting up your press is not the problem but getting the powder measure to work to your expectation is the problem. You were not specific enough for me to know that.

My Dillon measure will get to within a few tenths each way with spherical (ball) powders. For better than that I use the Dillon adapter and a manual Redding BR30, mostly for extruded powders on a very few cartridges.

Call Dillon. That's what they want you to do. Just ask for technical help.

As 748 is a ball powder it should be metering better than that, I would think. No powder measure will get the loads exactly the same every time and it is not necessary anyway. The latest thinking is that several tenths either way makes little difference on the target. Other variables swamp out any small difference in the powder charge. John Barsness of Handloader magazine has put the myth to rest that you have to get every load to a tenth even for target accuracy. You do know that few bench rest shooters who load during the competition weigh their loads. They measure by volume which is not very different than using the Dillon powder measure. Maybe your expectation are too high when they really don't need to be.

LDBennett