Lee Reloader die setup

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by hawkeyeonme, Dec 29, 2009.

1. hawkeyeonme

hawkeyeonme New Member

I have a new lee reloader setup that my buddie came over and setup last night, he brought over some kind of collar calliper and a few other things but is all that stuff critical the directions never said anything about all the technical stuff. The book almost said put a die in and get started.
    Post anything that would be helpful, I want to learn everything.
  2. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Need the caliper to check oal, yes you need it. Too long or short changes the powder burn rate. Can cause you to damage your weapon or even yourself. Reloading is not for the faint of heart and you need to check, check and check again. Do you have any reloading manuals? Read them first, understand what they are telling you. If you get stumped come by and give a holler someone here will be able to help you I am sure.
  3. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

if i am reading your post right the "collar caliper thing is a quick release bushing for the quick release of the die. i have it to but do not like it. Ge4t reloading books and rcbs makes a video that is helpful. i also watched some movies on lee's website that was helpful.
  4. RandyP

RandyP Member

5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

One thing you need is some reloading manuals. Reloading is kind of serious business, and two reloading manuals with data is more important than your press, dies or anything else associated with this hobby. I suggest the Lyman 49th for a beginner and also a manual from speer, hornady etc. Get through the Lymans "how to" portion. This will help all of us get you started because you will at least know some reloading terms besides obscure adjectives when referencing items and procedures. Welcome to the reloading world, be safe!
  6. RandyP

RandyP Member

Not sure what "book" you are referring to, none of my manuals suggest just putting in a die and starting?

Pics would help identify any "mystery" items as would your mentioning which Lee equipment you actually have.

I have their breech lock bushing single stage press and Classic turret, neither has a "collar calliper"? A caliper is a measuring tool. A breech lock bushing holds the individual die and allows for a quick release to switch dies without having to reset them each time. I bought bushings for each caliber and type die I have. Not used on the turret press. Very handy thing doing single stage batch loading though..
  7. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Overall length is important both for safety and to ensure the round will chamber in the gun. Too long and it won't fit into the magazine. Too short and the pressure can spike.

Lacking measuring calipers, you could compare your reloading round with a factory round that uses the same bullet.
  8. hawkeyeonme

hawkeyeonme New Member

thanks guys understandinf the different aspects helps alot!