Lee Reloading Die Sets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bizy, Oct 4, 2009.

1. bizy

bizy New Member

There is a yellow scoop that comes with most Lee Die Sets. Is there a suggested powder that goes with it. My question is what do you guys use it for? Or do you even use it?
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I leave mine in the Lee set, it keeps the shell holder from falling out! That is about all I use it for, since I load by weight of the powder and not by volume.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  3. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Ditto to gd, never understoof the scoop thingy but hey its free!
  4. olehippy

olehippy New Member

Thanks GD, I have always wondered what that stupid thing was for!
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Moody. You weigh every charge? Wow. I weigh maybe 2 out of 50. All the others are volume loaded.
  6. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

All manual powder dispensers measure powder by volume. There is nothing wrong with the little yellow scoops. They work in exactly the same manner, by volume. As far as not knowing what they are for, how about reading the instructions that come with the dies? :rolleyes:
  7. olehippy

olehippy New Member

I understand what your are saying GMF, but different powders occupy different amount of volume for a given mass (weight). Powder manufacturers as well as reloading data is in grains, a measurement of mass. I like most others use our scales to adjust the volume dispensed in each dump correct for the needed powder charge for the type of powder being used. Considering this, the little yellow scoop is best used to hold the shell holder in place!

Interesting point or possibly a question for discussion Alpo, I weigh every 10th charge out of my powder measure – just something drilled into me when I was getting started in handloading (a young hippie?:D). I wonder what loaders do here.

Miles
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

When I first started, I charged a case, put a bullet on it and seated it. Then charged the next case. Every tenth round got dumped on the scale, and while the scale was settling I charged that case again and seated a bullet.

Then I discovered loading blocks. I put fifty rounds in a block and charge all of them. I pick out one or two out of the fifty, at random, and weigh them. I hold a flashlight over the block and look in every case, making sure the powder level is the same.

That's with straight-wall pistol cases. It's been so long since I did a massive loading on bottleneck rifle cases I don't remember what I did. Usually, when I do bottleneck rifle lately, I'm only doing 20 or 30 rounds, and that's not worth setting up the powder measure, so I weigh every charge.
  9. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I use the yellow powder dipper to get powder out of the can on onto the scale. I'm still pretty new to reloading so I weigh every charge. I have only reloaded rifle ammo and only in small batches so it isn't a big deal to measure each charge. I think if you use the powder on the Lee chart that comes with the die set then the dipper is pretty accurate. I use a different powder and if I used the dipper then I would be low on the powder charge that is listed in the manual.
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

When I am doing progressive, I weigh a few charges to make sure the "drop" is set right then I only weigh every 20 - 30 throws. When I use my single stage press and I am loading rifle cartridges with something like Varget powder, I weigh every charge. Just enjoy the time I spend reloading, if it takes longer to weigh each charge, that is OK!
  11. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I admit that I don't use the dipper when reloading my rifle cartridges, but I do use em for pistol rounds occasionally. I've got a full set of the Lee dippers that I carry in my portable reloading kit but when I'm at my reloading bench I usually use a regular powder measure.

In the die set, the instruction sheet should have a little cross reference chart with what some powders will measure at what weight for the dipper that comes with the set. (at least they used to...)
  12. olehippy

olehippy New Member

Weighing every 10th charge is just something I’ve done since I started helping my dad load – even after he trusted me alone for a min or so charging brass he could count powder dumps from across the house (I used to think across the county!) Dad was a little strict and I was a bull-headed brat, but it didn’t take me long to learn handloading is much more fun if your backside don’t burn when you sit down!:eek:).

Considering the accuracy of modern powder measures probably overkill, but I am a committed subscriber to ‘zero error’ in handloading and other activities when I don’t want to screw up. If my powder measure has some powder clump in it, or one of the million other things Murphy can insert into this operation happens, I much prefer to only have to go back 10 rounds or so ago to correct the problem. Much easier and safer than having a bullet stuck in a barrel from an undercharge, or damaging a valuable weapon from an overcharge.

Like GD I do weigh every powder charge sometimes, mostly when I’m loading match ammo, or other handloads when I’m striving for accuracy. I agree with him too, doing so is very rewarding and relaxing. But, when I do I use a powder trickler to refine charges, that silly little yellow scoop is still stuck holding down extra shell holders!

Miles
  13. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Well, you still have to weigh the charge coming out of your dispenser just the same for the same reason,the reason being that different powders take up different volumes. All volume based dispensers and scoops need to be verified for weight by a scale.
  14. bizy

bizy New Member

FYI... I did test with Bullseye powder. Very powerful stuff. The scoop (45ACP) when level weighs 4.5 grains. I use the L'n'L hornady and still measure every 4 or 5 loads.

I Appreciate The Response...
  15. Kestral

Kestral Member

A fellow club member who checked every 10th round, and has been reloading for over 3 years now,had his Colt rev come apart in his hand some weeks ago,he now uses the yellow scoop to drop powder into the scales & top it up to correct weight with light finger tip tapping for each indiviual load.As he now says,it takes a hell of a lot longer,but he knows each round is perfect,and its a lot cheaper than having to buy a new gun.
  16. zb338

zb338 New Member

I think ALPO has the right idea. I do exactly as he does with both
    rifle and pistol ammo.
    Zeke
  17. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

Those LEE scoops work great. I have the set as well. In the set comes a nice heavy duty cardboard data card that tells you what each scoop will hold in grains for each particular powder. Now granted the scoops wont get you an exact load every time. But if you are loading on a powder scale you just get the scoop, put the powder on it and then trickle the rest of what you need. Way easier than trying to guess at how much to put on with a spoon or somethign similar. I have loaded at least 2000 Rifle Cartridges just using the scoop and everything turned out fine.
  18. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

I don't use the scoop for anything more than taking a few kernels out of the scales pan when I overcharge a bit. But I know other people that use the scoops and absolutely love them. It's all a matter of preference really.