Lee slug mold loads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by thumbs1, Nov 30, 2010.

1. thumbs1

thumbs1 New Member

I bought a lee slug mold about a week ago. I poured some slugs and loaded them according to the load sheet that came with the mold. I must say I am very happy with the outcome save one thing. Man this think kicks like a mule. No, it's worse than a mule. I am using max load. Can't remember right now if it's 38gr or 36gr loads. All the components are to spec.
    They shoot great out of my Deerslayerll. No problem there. Now my Mossberg 500 is brutal. If I back the powder off 10% is that goin to make much difference in kick? I have no instruments to get accurate measurements but there seems to be a ton of power.

Oh I forgot I am using Accurate #5 powder

I am very pleased with the Lee mold just want to get the recoil down a bit.

thanks for the help
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

what are you loading? what's the lee mold number? ( I'm assuming 12ga, 3", but as you know, reloading advice should never be given under assumptions )

Welcome to TFF and hope you enjoy and get your questions answered.

Semper Fi !!
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  3. thumbs1

thumbs1 New Member

Oh yeah I did leave a little out. LOL

Yep 12 gauge 1oz Lee slug, 2 3/4 Winchester AA 12sl hulls(crimped), Winchester 209 primers, 38.5gr Accurate #5 powder.

This is one of the loads Lee had on the sheet. I just made a few this evening using the same but cuttin the powder to 35gr.

With just a little testing the load, and slug, was pretty accurate. I was very pleased. I would just like to the the recoil down. I was wondering if goin to 35 gr rather than the 38.5 will feel a bit better. It's pretty stout in both guns. The deerslayer11 is better but the Mossberg 500 12ga is torture. In fact most of the time it ejects the hull by itself.