The Firearms Forum banner

Lee Turret Press - Accuracy

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  slimboy 
#1 ·
Hi I am new to reloading and have just purchased the Lee Turret Press Kit.
Problem is i am using the auto disk powder charger that was included in the kit and i cannot get it to load consistent powder charges. I am loading Hogdon Varget Powder and get up to a 1 grain difference on the lee beam scales.
Can anybody offer any advice? BTW I am loading 30 grain loads

#2 ·
A common problem with throwing charges from a powder measure is consistency. It is helped immensely by powder choice. If you use a powder with smaller grains it often ends up metering better. Varget has pretty small grains but there are powders with smaller grains.

All Lee equipment is usually innovative (almost to a fault like their string pull trim tool!!!!) but flawed in their materials selection (plastic?). Dump the Lee autodisk powder measure.

Buy anyone of the nicely made powder measures from RCBS or Hornady or Lyman or Redding. Most can be set up to deliver the powder accurately measured through the die at one of the stations of the turret press or on the edge of the bench for block powder delivery (a batch of cartridges setupright in a block and moved under the powder measure one at a time).

Lee stuff is inexpensive but often flawed. Graduate to better choice of powder measure. You won't be sorry. You might also consider a digital scale, as well, as it increases the speed of powder measurement by a large factor.

LDBennett

#4 ·
I also think powder selection has a lot to do with it. I have been loading on a Lee classic turret for two years and use ball powders without a problem. I don't have any experience with the powder you are using. I can load Titegroup all day long and never be off more than .1. I also load 223 using W748 and H335 with the same results. If you want to use a different powder measure on your turret you can use a CAPD with a RCBS Uniflow fairly easy. This link should explain it very good. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=248967

Rusty

#5 ·
I love my Lee Turret press. Used to have an auto-disk powder measure (USED TO) That stupid thing kept sticking on me ! I'd end up with cases that didn't even get a charge ! Threw it in the trash, got a Redding BR-3 and never looked back !! Adds a step to my process, but I'll take that over an unreliable powder charge any day.

#6 ·
I have used the Lee auto-disk powder measure for years. The one and true thing I've found is that regardless of powder type, the chart that Lee gives you is always OVER the real charge.

If Lee says hole .66 is 5.5 grs, it will really be 5.1 grains. I've never found a consistancy problem - the measure throws the same 5.1 grs over and over.

I use a powder scale to weigh the powder and adjust accordingly. No problem.

#8 ·
Thank you everyone.
I wondered if the powder could be a problem but I have come to the conclusion that the lee autodisk measure is the real problem.
I have viewed the article referred to by Rusty FN and i think this is a good solution.
All I have to do now is locate these bits in the UK!
Thanks again. I am so pleased I found this helpful forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.