Lee "Warranty"

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by olehippy, Sep 5, 2009.

1. olehippy

olehippy New Member

I have always been pleased with Lee products, high quality and reasonable price has always been a good value for me. Well, until I called them ref a warranty part for one of my dies.

I somehow broke the Decapper pin on my 9mm resizer die. Its supposed to be a collet design that slides into the die before breaking, but I have to admit I am known for my ability to screw up anvils, sledge hammers and other delicate equipment.

Called Lee, they quickly offered to send me a replacement pin at no charge. As an afterthought after the order had been placed but was still on the phone on the clerk, I ask if I could get a spare at the same time, just in case it happened again.

Not a problem, was a $ 2.00 charge for the second part. Gave her some magic numbers of my plastic, and thanked her.

Earlier today, the parts arrived in snailmail in a small padded envelope. Inside were the pins, packaged in a single plastic bag, and an invoice charging my credit card $ 2.00 for the second pin, and $ 6.00 for shipping!

I probably sound like a cheapskate about $ 6.00, but these pins weigh 0.4 oz each, USPS charges by the full ounce, and at $ 0.37/oz not a bad profit on a ‘warranty item’! Considering the 2 parts werent even individually packaged, extra handling labor cant cost that much,

BTW a couple weeks ago RCBS sent me some warranty parts on my RCBS press. No charges for shipping, anything, they just fed it to the snail and he dumped it in front of my house. Worst of all, Lee didnt even kiss me when they finished. You can use your imagination to finish the phrase. . .

Thought I’d pass this along, it will definitely effect my choices next time I shop for reloading tools.

Miles
  2. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

Yea, if I have the money when I need somthing, I will go with RCBS every time, however if I don't have the extra cash I settle for lee, warranty or not they are fair priced and they get the job done.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I have gotten stuff replaced under Lee's warranty. No charge, for the part or the shipping. But you didn't just get something done under warranty. You ordered a part. That cost money. Someone had to get the part, put it in the packaging, and mail it out. That all costs Lee money, and someone has to pay for it. If you had just got your broken part replaced, it would have been free, and they would have eaten the cost of getting it to you. But they won't eat the cost of sending you a new part you ordered.

Right on Lee's webpage it says (my emphasis) >Shipping costs
    Regardless of the quantity or size of the order, Lee Precision charges a $4.00 processing fee on all orders. If the order is under two pounds, it will usually be shipped by U.S.P.S., if over, it is usually shipped by U.P.S. Domestic orders can expect delivery with in two weeks.<
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I don't think that they didn't do anything unethical, but nitpicky, yes. I do think they have every right to charge for a part that somebody has ordered, but if they've already agreed to ship the other part under warranty; then shouldn't you have have either got two packages or just one without paying shipping fees?? My one and only warranty service with any reloading equipment was with RCBS; when i got my Trim Pro trimmer, i couldn't find the 1/8" set screw anywhere, I called them up and they had 3 of them shipped to me, had them within 3 days of calling. Granted a set screw is a bit less than 2.00, but the point is that there was NO hassle whatsoever, A++ all around to make the customer satisfied. ( as you know also :cool:)

My only question would be, did Lee mention to you about the shipping charges? If they did, then fair within reason. If not, then shame on them for not keeping their customers informed; nothing will turn me away faster than not keeping me informed.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  5. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I forgot to mention, last time I broke a decapping pin on my RCBS dies I called them and less than a week later I had a package in the mail that contianed a replacement and 5 extras free of charge.
  6. olehippy

olehippy New Member

I probably am being nitpicking, but no Willieworm Lee did NOT say anything about any S&H charges.

FTK’s post reminded me – a while ago I called RCBS regarding a timing with the primer feeder on my press. RCBS sent me the upgrade parts, and 2 packages of primer strips without my even asking! Guess in the long run, you get what you pay for.

Miles
  7. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Bear with me; No disrespect to any poster here.

Thirty years ago a USA knife maker built a 5 oz. folder with a stainless steel pivot pin called the "Bear Paw" to compete with the 4 oz. Buck #110 folder. Each one had a serial number and a warranty card. If you lost your knife, you sent them the warranty card, and the maker sent you a new knife for free.

Well as one might guess, it was a big money loser. Too many dishonest people in the USA then and now.

Lee and other companies are likely experiencing similar problems today.
  8. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Then I will have stick with my thinking that :

"shame on them for not keeping their customers informed; nothing will turn me away faster than not keeping me informed."

I do not think I would shun Lee entirely over this matter however, it doesn't give me any reason to chose them over anyone else.
  9. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

well it might not be lee's fault, it might be the fault of the person taking the order. maybe they are new, or for some other reason didnt mention the shipping. and also if there is more than one person doing the customer service part you might have gotten several extras free if you had gotten the right person.
  10. olehippy

olehippy New Member

Good point, yesterday I decided to write Robert Lee and let him know how I feel. I’ll let everyone know if I get response. Now I’m out $ 6.44, oh well!

Miles
  11. dammitman

dammitman Member

just send me all your lee equipment and i will pay the shipping.
  12. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

They charged you shipping on your ordered part not the warranty part. I bought a Lee 20 pound bottom pour pot for casting bullets. When it arrived it was missing the handle. I called and she said they would send me one. While I had them on the phone I told her that my classic turret press was two years old and I never got the spare ratchet but didn't know it was supposed to come with one until recently. She said she would send me one of those also. I was never charged for either part or shipping.
  13. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

My experience with Lee has always been good. I got a replacement handle for a press which was over 20 years old at the time. I tried to order one, but they wouldn't let me do that. They sent the replacement free of all charges. The check I had sent them with the order was in the package with the handle.

Pops
  14. Oohrah

Oohrah New Member

Yep, felt the same way with a recent dealing with Midway, and ordered three items with one being back ordered. Almost one third ended up being postage. On top of that, a powder dipper was broken due to a lack of a piece of tape on the Lee Delux Collet dies. Think I will go to Graf & Sons.
    Prices may be slightly high in some stuff, but postage is $4.95 on line and $6.95 by phone order. Volume buys is definately a savings.
  15. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I'll agree with what others have said about the S&H charge being for the extra $2 part that you added to the order. that changed your transaction from a warranty transaction to a purchase transaction and different rules apply.
    I've warrantied some Lee stuff before and it's always been free of charge.

Now that's not to say that the rep you talked to shouldn't have forgotten to mention the S&H charge, but those things happen. JL4C is probably right in that you might've had a new person on the phone...or maybe it was just a brainfart on the phone rep's part. A mildly expensive one but one that you'll likely remember too. :)
    Due to some local idiocy around my area, I always prefer to have stuff shipped to me via anybody besides the USPS so I usually inquire about the shipping method when I'm ordering...this usually leads to discussing the S&H cost too.

Glad ya got your warranty part. Kinda stinks that they forgot to mention the extra S&H when you made the call though!