Lefacheux revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by furiousC, Jul 17, 2011.

1. furiousC

furiousC New Member

I'm having a hard time identifying this one. It was my father's and he passed away a few years ago. He left this pistol, among others, but never really said much to me about this one so I don't know where he picked it up. I have done some research off and on but have never been able to tell the exact year or model of this old revolver. I read in an American Rifleman magazine article recently that the Lefacheux revolvers were imported and used around the civil war.

Anyhow, here is a link to the pictures.
    Only identifiers are the manufacturer engraved on the top of the barrel and the '10' on the cylinder. Of course I could be overlooking something.

Thank you in advance!
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

That one's in the nicest condition I've seen, with little or no black powder errosion evident. The pic of barrel marking isn't clear, but appears to read SYS. LEFACHEUX? That may indicate a copy by another manufacturer, as it appears Lefacheux himself marked his guns E. Lefacheux Paris and with a pistol(?) over LF trademark: http://www.littlegun.info/arme francaise/artisans k l/a lefaucheux 1854 gb.htm

But lefacheux 54 should be along shortly to comment.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  3. furiousC

furiousC New Member

Thanks for the link! Not sure if I had spied that one yet. I looked it over and still no matches. However, being a closed frame i am thinking it is closer to the end of the 1800s rather than the middle.

It does indeed read sys. Lefacheux on the barrel. Really, besides the 10 on the cylinder and the engraving border, that is the only marking. It is in good condition for it's age I suppose.

Any tips on cleaning it up further? I would like to get rid of some rust but am afraid of devaluing it in the process. I have only wiped it down with an oily rag at this point.
  4. furiousC

furiousC New Member

Still no identification on this pistol.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

A very nice gun, but IMHO too late to have any Civil War connections. I think that gun dates from around 1875-1880, probably one of the later pinfires. While most pinfires have little value beyond novelty, I would WAG than one at $400 or so.

Jim