Lefaucheaux Pin Fire, my first firearm!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by 45Auto, Sep 7, 2009.

1. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

[​IMG]

As a boy I wanted my own revolver. But then I was also a little desctructive as a kid. However, my mom checked around and got this little magnum from a history teacher. Because it was not possible to get 7mm pinfire ammo, I was permitted to own my own handgun. As you can see I took care of it. WELL, it took me close to 40 years, but at last I have a box of shells!!!!!:D

But it's way too expensive to shoot these and I'd never find another box!:eek:
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

45, I saw an article in one of my monthly magazines within the past few months describing exactly how to make pin-fire ammunition. If interested, I will try to find it for you.

EDIT: 9/11/09 - I just re-read the article and it does not tell how to MAKE the ammo but how to RELOAD it.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  3. lefaucheux 54

lefaucheux 54 Member

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

well what are you going to do, be buried with them? i say shoot a few, save a few
  5. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Thank you for your comments. The statements about shooting or not shooting the antique ammo was my usual poor attempt at humor:rolleyes: Thankfully, I have .22's and other pistols for shooting.

It is rather hard to find boxes of pinfire ammo in the U.S. prior to this UMC box all I had was a mixed pile of individual rounds of 7mm.
  6. 56/50

56/50 New Member

45AUTO: I've been collecting pinfires for years now and have 5mm-11mm cartridges. A great book to get is SYSTEME LEFAUCHEAUX, Continuing the study of pinfire Cartridge Arms Including Their Role in the American Civil War. by Chris C. Curtis. This is a great book and can be picked up at Graphic Publishers, 1-800-496-8726 or jmillet@sbcglobal.net or www.ArmslorePress.com $44.95, my total was $48.95 including S&H
  7. lefaucheux 54

lefaucheux 54 Member

Very good book , got them both ....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    LF
  8. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Thanx & correct pronunciation of Lefaucheux?

Thank you. I will look into buying these books.

By the way lefaucheux 54, you are clearly the best person to answer this question,: What is the correct pronunciation of the name, Lefaucheux? :confused:
  9. lefaucheux 54

lefaucheux 54 Member

I would say " LE FO SEU" .....

LF
  10. Win_88

Win_88 New Member

For my 1st post..:D

You dont need to use those antique reloadable shells...;)

I recently purchased a kit of 5-7mm Pinfired rounds from:

http://hlebooks.com/pinfire/prices.htm#7mm%20PINFIRE

These cannot be sent state side with the #11 primers. Who cares they are cheap. But I am still trying to find out how much black powder to use.

Research before loading them..

[​IMG]

Also here is my pepperbox with links to sites with tons of information..

[​IMG]

I'm still trying to ID the manufacturer DAF..

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=287155

www.littlegun.be
    Markings on your gun are very important. I recomend that you photograph all of them. Make sure that you get the ones on the back side of the grips and the frame..

I bought the System Lafaucheaux book for $44.95 from AbeBooks:

http://www.abebooks.com/products/is... Arms & Their Role in the American Civil War/

You can also get it from Track of the Wolf for $39.95:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(5l...x?catId=4&subId=24&styleId=71&partNum=BOOK-SL

Warning..

Do not let Idiots dry fire the Gun.. Unscrew the folding trigger and make sure that the hole on the trigger arm is not stretching and about to crack.. You dont want to break it off.

I found a lot of guns online with the missing trigger because it broken off..

BTW.. Any notches on your gun? Same amount on every parts?

Andre
  11. lefaucheux 54

lefaucheux 54 Member

On the cylindre you got English proofmarks ..... Birmingham ....

You're looking for a good site about Lefaucheux ....I've got one but in french

http://lefaucheux.net

LF
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  12. Win_88

Win_88 New Member