Lefever Arms co. side by side 12 gauge

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Feetiesiz, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Feetiesiz

Feetiesiz New Member

I'm trying to sell a Lefever 12 gauge side by side. The condition is average. It was found in an attic back in the early 70's and was in quite bad shape. It has been restored. The steel has some pitting but small pits like the head of a pin small and not deep. if you run your hand over the barrels you cannot feel them. Wood is in good to excellent shape. There are no decortive designs on the steel. THe wood has some cross hatching on it. I have a guy interested in buying it but have no idea on price. I understand if it is pre 1917 it could be worth some money but if it is post 1917 it could be worthliess. There is a serial number 20426 on it behind the triggers. Any ideas of what it is worth. I'm just looking for ballpark numbers. Maybe someone has an idea if it was in bad, average, or good shape. I think it's average. it is a grade G
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  2. durk

durk Active Member

I am surprised know-one has offered up any info.:confused:
  3. Mark

Mark New Member

There's just not enough information.

I'm familiar with 2 entirely different Lefever guns. One is made by "Uncle Dan", and is a high end sidelock gun made in various grades. The other is a boxlock gun, and although of good quality, is a hardware store gun.

Feet is just going to have to get his gun professionally appraised.

Couple the description with the word "restored" and who knows what this is?

Mark
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Feetiesiz & durk.....welcome to TFF.

Feetiesiz.....serial #20426 was manufactured in 1893.

A few questions:

What makes you think it's a G Grade? Is it so marked?

Does it have Damascus or Fluid Steel barrels?

Was it refinished or restored?

It's virtually impossible to accurately evaluate a Lefever shotgun over the internet. Lefevers were made from 1885 to 1948 with two different actions, by three different companies, in 33 different models & grades, in 5 different guages, with various barrel lengths.......and add in the conditions these shotguns are found in, from 100% down to 10%, and you can see that it's an impossible job. Values can range from $200 to $20,000+

As Mark says, it's best to have this gun appraised "hands on" by a professional.
  5. Feetiesiz

Feetiesiz New Member

:eek: Thanks for the input everyone. I am ignorant when it comes to fire arms. I am taking it to a gun smith this weekend. I was wrong in saying it is a grade G. It has a G marked in the Breach (I think that is what it is called). Restored or refinished I couldn’t tell you. I was about 7 years old when this was done and my Dad (also ignorant about fire arms) said a neighbor took it to someone and had it re-done (what ever that means). I really have no use for this shotgun I don't hunt (fishing is more my style) and I do not collect them. I don't want to sell it for to little and I don't want to ask for a ridiculous amount either. Once I receive an appraisal I'll post it along with some pictures then maybe I can get some more input to be sure the appraisal is on the up and up. The more I research this the more I realize I have no clue. I will to leave it up to the pros. Thanks again Mark and Xracer.