Lefever Double SxS Serial No. 1283

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by syryoda, Oct 14, 2006.

1. syryoda

syryoda New Member

Greetings,

My boss was cleaning out his gun safe and came across the following rifle:

Lefever double barrel side by side, hammerless, sidelock (no ejectors).

Near the breach the plate is marked D.M.LEFEVER-SONS&CO

On the bottom of the rifle near the trigger guard the following markings/stamps are found:

PAT'D 1902 NOT CONNECTED WITH LEFEVER-ARMS CO

In the after portion of the trigger guard is a number after the final screw:

This number is also found when you open the sidelock and adjust the barrel to loading position it is stamped on the inside.

I was curious about how much it is worth.

Kind Regards,
    Greg
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Greg......welcome to TFF! :)

Tell your boss to hang onto this shotgun. The potential value ranges from about $750 up to about $7,700......depending on grade and condition.

"Uncle Dan" Lefever was the founder of Lefever Arms and he designed and manufactured the first breech loading double hammmerless shotgun made in the U.S. in 1872. Later he sold his interest in the company, moved to Ohio and started aother factory under the name of D.M. Lefever & Son.

The total production on D.M. Lefever & Son shotguns between 1901-1904 was less than 1,200.

In order to value this shotgun, we need to know it's condition (approximate % of original finish left) and it's grade (hopefully marked somewhere on the gun).

If it's pretty plain (0 Excelsior Grade), we need to know whether or not it has ejectors.

If it's engraved, there should be some markings, from "AA Grade, No.4" thru "F Grade, No.9" somewhere on the gun.....

Let us know what you find......
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

4. syryoda

syryoda New Member

Hi Xracer,

Thanks for being here!

We aren't sure about the condition. It isn't worn and appears (not field tester) to be in fine working order. We looked at the 22nd Edition of the Gun Trader's Guide, but the description is lacking. From what I can make out there are no ejectors. The shells must be removed by hand. In addition there does not appear to be any engraving on the plate work around/near the breach and trigger. I would be happy to send you some pictures if you would like to take a look.

BTW thank you for your help. The web is a little tangled these days.

Syryoda
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

OK.....the lack of engraving and no auto ejectors pretty much nails it down to "O Excelsior Grade".

One more thing I need to know.....is it a 12, 16, or 20 guage?