Lefever Wells Farge coach gun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dan-aa, Jun 19, 2011.

1. dan-aa

dan-aa New Member

Hi all,
    I have a friend with an interesting old Lefever shotgun he is thinking about selling but we don't know what its worth. It's a Wells Fargo 12g shotgun. We haven't been able to find out much about it. The patent date says 1872-78-80 serial number 9155. The barrel is 21 1/2". The overall length is 37 1/2". It has a damascus barrel. Its sealed in a case (and the owner doesn't want to open it) so I can't see the opposite side. There is nice engraving and the blueing is mostly gone. There are old Wells Fargo checks etc. in the case too. I have more and higher res photos posted on the following webpage. http://www.antique-antics.com/aa/scott/wellsfargo.htm
    Any informantion is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Dan Clements

Attached Files:

2. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Most Wells Fargo items are fake.
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

That's a good way to get some use out of an old damascus barrelled shotgun!
    As already said, it's not a Wells Fargo gun. But the display is nicely done.
  5. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Agree with the above. Decor & conversation piece value maybe $250.
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Uncut the shotgun would be worth much more. But I'm sure that there is someone who will give good money for it, then post with a question on how to authenticate it, and get very angry with the answer and refuse to believe it.
  7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

All of which adds up to that shotgun being a fake so far as any connection with Wells, Fargo is concerned. Unfortunately, in cutting the gun down to make a "coach gun", the faker ruined a rather nice Lefever shotgun. One hopes Dan's friend didn't pay a lot for it, but I suspect he did.

Jim
  9. dan-aa

dan-aa New Member

Thank you all for the information!
    Unfortunately he did pay a lot for it. He isn't going to be happy when I tell him, but it is what it is.
    Dan
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  10. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

dan,
    Remind him of the old axiom : BUY THE GUN - NOT THE STORY.
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

As in many cases, the fakers go beyond the story, with fake engraving, stock markings, plates, even counterfeit "letters of authenticity."

In the field of Colt's (where fakery has been rampant as prices ascend to the heavens) some fakers managed to use absolutely genuine Colt letters to further their schemes.

The faker learns in one way or another, that SAA number, say, 123456, was shipped to, again say, Wyatt Earp. So they get hold of a junker SAA and make it number 123456. They then write Colt and got a genuine factory letter saying that 123456 had been shipped to Wyatt Earp. So they sell the gun to some sucker. If he suspects anything, he can write Colt and get the same response. So everyone is happy, and the faker finds a couple of more junker SAA's and gets out his welder and number stamps.

Jim