Lefever

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mikebd, May 2, 2006.

1. mikebd

mikebd New Member

I have a Lefever side by side grade E. Serial number 24786. Its been used, but in great condition and very tight. No wood damage, and no apparent damage to any of the metal. I was just wondering about its value. I also have been afraid to shoot it, but have thought many times it would make a gread bird gun with low base shells????????????? OH, by the way, its a 12 guage!!
    Thanks for your time. Mike
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Mike.....welcome to TFF. :)

If your shotgun is an original Lefever made by D.M. Lefever & Sons in Bowling Green, OH, it has a bit of value. These guns were made from 1901 to 1906 and were made for blackpowder only.

According to the Blue Book:

E Grade, No. 8:

70% - $3,350
    60% - $2,875
    50% - $2,300
    40% - $2,075

If it was made by Lefever Arms in Syracuse, NY, it still has some value, but not as much as the D.M. Lefever & Sons guns.

E Grade:

95% - $2,700
    90% - $2,300
    80% - $2,100
    70% - $1,900
    60% - $1,800

These guns were made between 1885-1919 and most (if not all) were made for blackpowder and are not safe with modern smokeless powder.

In 1916, Lefever was acquired by Ithaca who continued to manufacture them until 1948. Most of the later Ithaca-made "Lefevers" were made for smokeless powder.....but are less valuable than the earlier guns.

If you really want to shoot it, I'd suggest you take it to a gunsmith and perhaps he can tell you whether you have a blackpowder or smokeless powder gun.
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I agree with XRACER on the prices and the powder. That is a nice gun you sittin on.