Left Handed Bolt Action Rifles?

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by xxxxxxl, Oct 13, 2006.

1. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

During the WWI - WW2 eras did any manufacturer produce a left handed military bolt action rifle?
  2. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

I cant give you a definitive ansur but in my life I never seen one.
  3. xxxxxxl, when I was in the service I do remember a sergeant who sent me looking for a left-handed monkey wrench once, does that count? :D ;)

Seriously, I am virtually certain no army of that era produced a left-hand bolt action battle rifle, certainly not any of the major participants such as the U.S., Britain, Germany, Japan, or the Soviet Union. You must remember that a battle rifle is a mass-produced weapon and intended for use by all military personnel. The vast majority of soldiers (and people in general) are right-handed, thus producing a left-hand action would severely complicate supply and repair problems. A left-handed shooter can use a right-hand bolt action fairly easily with a bit of practice, so the emphasis was on building right-hand actions.
  4. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

I seem to remember in the cobwebs of my mind a picture where the negative was printed backwards inverted.And the 03A3 in the soldiers hands was a lefty that sent people thinking.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  5. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

You know Red, you might be on to something,,,,I saw a poster once for "Enemy at the Gate" that had a SWEET looking LEFT HAND MN 91/30 snayperskaya:p leaning against a wall....I thought at the time it MUST have been the "artist's rendition" of a reversed negative...

Uncle Joe wouldn't make ANYTHING "non-standard...."

Heck, my Father-in-law was a "left handed Marine" in during the Korean War, and even HE was forced to shoot "cross eyed...."
  6. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Believe it or not I write left handed and swing a hammer either hand but if you give me a left hand gun I won't use it for nothin other than a crutch unless it's a bolt
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  7. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

Over the weekend I found a Swiss K31 that I think will fit my needs. The gunsmith at the shop I was at was reworking one for himself. I really liked the way the action worked. I am going to order one today.:D
  8. You won't regret that choice, xxxxxxl. I have two of the Swiss K31s and I've never encountered a battle rifle that is better made or more accurate. For someone who is left-handed, these rifles would be an especially good choice.
  9. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

xxxxxxl, check out www.swissrifles.com and look through their forums. There's a gadget that you can buy that actually allows a left-hander to cycle the bolt from the left side. I forget the German word for the thing, but it translates roughly into "left-handed link" or something similar.
  10. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

JohnK3, thanks for the info. I am definitely going to try and source one of the left hand conversions.
  11. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Isn't a "Left Handed Swiss" another name for a French Gigolo?:cool:

You know speaking of the FRENCH, if ANYBODY made a left handed battle rifle it PROBABLY would have been them....

And HEY, while the Mosin Nagant safety SUCKS, at least they HAD one not like the MAS 36!:p
  12. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

Well, if the French had a left handed rifle I would buy it. Cause you know it was never fired and only dropped once.:D :D
  13. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

I ordered my K31 today!:D :D :D :D :D :)
  14. Enzo_Guy

Enzo_Guy New Member

I've never seen a leftie military bolt-action rifle. Myself being slightly left-handed (can shoot completely ambidextrously) I can say it is actually kind of fun to shoot regular bolt-action rifles left-handed like the sniper from Saving Private Ryan. As for being ambidextrous, it comes in handy when shooting larger calibers because I can do it twice as long.
  15. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

With me being right handed. I love shooting left handed bolt actions right handedly
  16. You made a great choice 6xl. You will love the K31. Check out the bore when you get it. I'll bet you will find it is clean, bright and sharp, and the rifle will function like a Swiss watch. Did you get a walnut stock?
  17. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 New Member

as many of you may be aware...

the Romanov Dynasty / family was almost entirely left handed...

the House Gaurd was made up of left handed troops and officers...

occasionaly a Left handed Nagant revolver rig will show up...

i hear rumors of left handed rifles being built in small quantities for the above referenced group...

i have never encountered a single example...

it is said that all left handed guns were destroyed after the revolution, when 95% of double eagle dynasty crests were defaced or removed...

pre-mosin nagant family of rifles the BERDAN II series were used, but i am unaware of left handed examples...

pre-Mosin Nagant issue the house troops / royal gaurd have been observed to use Rem. rolling blocks, Winchester 1895 lever actions, and a small quantity of LEBEL 1886 rifles...

generaly speaking, in anthropological terms, around 90% of the worlds poulation are right handed...

a few cultures a small fraction more or less...

exept for the Yamamani tribe who are 90% left handed...

in terms of general issue mass production officialy adopted martial arms i think we can safely say that there were no left handed long arms...

but there are a few small exceptions.

any thoughts???

best regards, mike.
  18. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

Pistolenschutze,

Yes, I ordered the walnut stock. I can't wait for its arrival.
  19. That's great 6xl! If you choose to do a refinish on the stock, trust me, it will turn out beautifully. The walnut they used is of excellent quality and mine at least has beautiful graining.
  20. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

The gun shop called yesterday and said it was on its way.:) :D