Left Handed Bolt Action Rifles?

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by xxxxxxl, Oct 13, 2006.

1. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

During the WWI - WW2 eras did any manufacturer produce a left handed military bolt action rifle?
  2. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

I cant give you a definitive ansur but in my life I never seen one.
  3. xxxxxxl, when I was in the service I do remember a sergeant who sent me looking for a left-handed monkey wrench once, does that count? :D ;)

Seriously, I am virtually certain no army of that era produced a left-hand bolt action battle rifle, certainly not any of the major participants such as the U.S., Britain, Germany, Japan, or the Soviet Union. You must remember that a battle rifle is a mass-produced weapon and intended for use by all military personnel. The vast majority of soldiers (and people in general) are right-handed, thus producing a left-hand action would severely complicate supply and repair problems. A left-handed shooter can use a right-hand bolt action fairly easily with a bit of practice, so the emphasis was on building right-hand actions.
  4. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

I seem to remember in the cobwebs of my mind a picture where the negative was printed backwards inverted.And the 03A3 in the soldiers hands was a lefty that sent people thinking.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  5. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

You know Red, you might be on to something,,,,I saw a poster once for "Enemy at the Gate" that had a SWEET looking LEFT HAND MN 91/30 snayperskaya:p leaning against a wall....I thought at the time it MUST have been the "artist's rendition" of a reversed negative...

Uncle Joe wouldn't make ANYTHING "non-standard...."

Heck, my Father-in-law was a "left handed Marine" in during the Korean War, and even HE was forced to shoot "cross eyed...."
  6. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Believe it or not I write left handed and swing a hammer either hand but if you give me a left hand gun I won't use it for nothin other than a crutch unless it's a bolt
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  7. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

Over the weekend I found a Swiss K31 that I think will fit my needs. The gunsmith at the shop I was at was reworking one for himself. I really liked the way the action worked. I am going to order one today.:D
  8. You won't regret that choice, xxxxxxl. I have two of the Swiss K31s and I've never encountered a battle rifle that is better made or more accurate. For someone who is left-handed, these rifles would be an especially good choice.
  9. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

xxxxxxl, check out www.swissrifles.com and look through their forums. There's a gadget that you can buy that actually allows a left-hander to cycle the bolt from the left side. I forget the German word for the thing, but it translates roughly into "left-handed link" or something similar.
  10. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

JohnK3, thanks for the info. I am definitely going to try and source one of the left hand conversions.
  11. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Isn't a "Left Handed Swiss" another name for a French Gigolo?:cool:

You know speaking of the FRENCH, if ANYBODY made a left handed battle rifle it PROBABLY would have been them....

And HEY, while the Mosin Nagant safety SUCKS, at least they HAD one not like the MAS 36!:p
  12. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

Well, if the French had a left handed rifle I would buy it. Cause you know it was never fired and only dropped once.:D :D
  13. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

I ordered my K31 today!:D :D :D :D :D :)
  14. Enzo_Guy

Enzo_Guy New Member

I've never seen a leftie military bolt-action rifle. Myself being slightly left-handed (can shoot completely ambidextrously) I can say it is actually kind of fun to shoot regular bolt-action rifles left-handed like the sniper from Saving Private Ryan. As for being ambidextrous, it comes in handy when shooting larger calibers because I can do it twice as long.
  15. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

With me being right handed. I love shooting left handed bolt actions right handedly