Left-Handed Newbie Needs Handgun Help

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by GlockAndBalls, Nov 14, 2007.

1. GlockAndBalls

GlockAndBalls New Member

As a new-comer to this site, I would like to say hello to all that read this post. I live in FL and I am looking for a pistol that will be comfortable for a left handed person like myself. I may apply to carry the piece, so I have considered sub-compact models for this reason. Here are some of the choices I have considered so far:

-HK P2000 V3
    -Springfield XD
    -Ruger P94
    -CZ 75

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

-Steve
  2. Go with the H&K if you can afford it, GAB. No finer pistol is made and few are as good.

By the way, welcome to TFF! :)
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Any of those pistols will serve you well. You should buy the one that fits you best. A handgun that "feels good" is more important than any particular brand.

The CZ 75 would be my choice.
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I am not familiar with "left handed" shooting.
    Are any of these models made for a left handed person?

Want to add.........

Steve,
    Welcome to The Firearms Forum.
  5. ky_shaymus

ky_shaymus New Member

I'm a lefty myself. I couldn't tell you anything about the H&K,the P94 or the CZ. I have shot the Springfield XD in the 9mm and the .40S&W. Both are fine for a lefty. I just wouldn't buy one myself. Reason being, I don't like the lack of safety on the gun.
    I have shoot my cousins Ruger P Series, P89 to be exact. The Ruger P89 (9mm). His gun is outfitted with a Hogue rubber grip with finger grooves. I love the feel of this gun in my hands.
    I own two handguns. A Ruger "Old Model" Single Six 22lr/22mag convert. revolver and a Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle .40S&W. Both are fine for lefty's too.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  6. obxned

obxned New Member

I'm a lefty. I recently bought a Ruger P345 because it was the most comfortable new gun for me to operate all the controls. It has a safety or decocker on the right side of the slide, dependng on model. Slide release and mag release are well located (though on the left side of the gun) for a lefty to operate.
  7. GlockAndBalls

GlockAndBalls New Member

Fellas.... Thanks alot for your responses!! The 4 handguns that I listed are ones that I found to have good reviews for leftys. I am in the process of finding local ranges that have them available for use and trying them out. Nevertheless I would like to learn more from this site and see what people have to say. Thanks Again!! :cool:
  8. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Leftys sure are hard to please...aren't we? :p

I kinda like the CZ75 family. The CZ85 is the version with ambidextrous controls. It feels like a good handling pistol to me even though I've got small hands and don't really care for most of the double-stack designs. The mag release is easy to operate with the trigger finger too. It's out of the way far enough that you shouldn't hit it with your trigger finger while shooting but is easy to reach without shifting your grip too much.
    The XD grip is too big for my paws. The P94 would be a good choice too. Couldn't tell ya anything about the HK other than it's gotta be a quality machine.

You're on the right path with looking for someplace that's got samples to try out.

Me? I've got a Springfield 1911 fitted with an ambi safety.
  9. Rene440

Rene440 New Member

I have tried each of the pistols you listed. Since you've allowed that you have perhaps considered other choices, may I suggest you consider a Glock 19 or 36? The 19 is in line with your listed potentials, the 36 is a favorite carry piece of mine. I too, am a lefty. I also like - and carry - the Sig P232.
  10. GlockAndBalls

GlockAndBalls New Member

I must sat that I really like the price of the Ruger. It's around $375 brand new.
  11. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Welcome Steve,
    Not sure about the pistols you listed, but most of the sub -1911 type pistols can be converted to left hand mag release & safety. Never saw a pistol with a left hand slidelock, tho..
  12. GlockAndBalls

GlockAndBalls New Member

Hmmm.... I am a novice so I do need some help with this.. Would a Colt Defender fall into the 1911 category? It looks like it to me and I like the size!! Could it be converted?
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  13. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, that would be considered a 1911 pattern...a compact one. Would be no problem to have a ambidextrous safety fitted to it. Personally, I'd leave the mag release alone...I've learned to operate a right-handed mag release with my trigger finger just as cleanly as I can operate it with my thumb (as designed) when shooting right-handed.

I remember seeing an ambidextrous slide release on a 1911 in one of the gun magazines quite a few years ago...don't remember if a shop production part or if it was a custom piece. The left-hand lever was keyed and attached to the regular right-hand release with a screw...similar to how most ambi safeties are built except the keyed section was on the end of the shaft, outside of the frame, instead of in the middle of the shaft. This eliminated field-stripping the gun without a screwdriver but would get the job done.
    BTW, you can also do a decent job of running the right-handed slide release on a 1911 with your trigger finger too. It's a bit clumsier than the mag release operation though.

Another option for left-handed slide release on a 1911 might be to find a lever for an old lefty Randall 1911 and have it fitted to the gun. (now this would be a rare find I admit).

I always lusted after the Randall leftys when I was a kid, but when I got old enough to start shopping for one they were nowhere to be found. :(
  14. nsfdfiremed

nsfdfiremed New Member

Hi, Being a left handed shooter I have tried dozens of guns for comfort and accuracy. I would offer that you consider a Walther P-5. It's a single stack 9mm which may be limiting for some based on your needs but the cool thing is it is also left hand ejecting. I have participated in 1911 matches and suffered the head burns from ejecting shells. I love my P-5, light, accurate and quick to gain a sight picture. Southern Ohio Gun still has used German police trade ins with a holster (even left handed ones if you ask) two mags and the factory box all for under $400. At least find someone in your area or local shooting range that has one to give it a try. I have shown several of my left handed partners who now swear by them as well. A couple even carry them as off duty weapons. I hope this helps.
  15. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I shot competively for years with a .22, .45 wad gun (didn't like a .38 for centerfire matches), and a .45 hardball gun for the US Army and never had a problem with brass hitting me in the head with any of them. The only gun I've ever had a problem with was the M-16, but they have a brass deflector for it.