legal noise suppressors?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by dexterblack, Feb 20, 2012.

1. dexterblack

dexterblack New Member

Near the People's Republic of Boulder, CO
    Hi:

After a hiatus of many decades, I have been lured back into the shooting hobby by a fanatical brother -- and I truly enjoy it. I joined an indoor club last year, and try to get there whenever possible.

Recently, I noticed a guy shooting a very business-like .338 without hearing protection. Indeed, he clearly did not need it. The device on the muzzle was a suppressor. He worked in a tac/police based manufacturing & wholesale outfit, but he said that civilians CAN own suppressors, on the condition that they are serialized (ser. #) by the manufacturer, and that those numbers have been certified as recorded by the ATF -- i.e., you send it in, and they inspect it and send it back with a certification.

Is this correct? If so, how about antique examples? Can they be legally owned (if serialized)? I had the impression that civilian suppressors were a definite no-no.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It is legal in some states to own CANs. You have to pass a background check and pay a 1 time 200 dollar tax stamp. Many of the gunshops around me stock them right there in the display case. and by far the most popular is the integrated Ruger Mk supressed upper. Its really the only true Silenced firearm. Shoot it with any subsonic ammo and all you will hear is the action cycle and the bullet hit the target.
  3. dexterblack

dexterblack New Member

Near the People's Republic of Boulder, CO
    Thanks, JLA. BTW, I have a .22 cb cap Warnant trap-door, ca. 1895. It was my Grandmother's early in her life. You can hear the the hammer "ring" through your cheek bone, and the bullet hit the target -- much later. 'No suppressor needed!
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You don't have it quite right. You don't send in the can. You send in a form. Serial number (and all kinds of other info) is on the form. You also send in your 200 dollar check. They do a background check on you, and if they decide you can have it, they send the form back with a tax stamp on it. Now it is registered with the ATF, and you are allowed to have it. If you ever want to sell it to someone, they have to get it RE-registered in THEIR name, and out of yours. And they, also, have to pay a 200 dollar tax.
  5. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

It's pretty well known that the boulder county sheriff signs off on the cans no problem.
  6. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I can pay the tax and get a suppressor.

I can put it on my firearm. It's all legal.

If I attach it and pull the trigger, I'm a felon. :mad:

So what's the point?

Do yer research. Owning one don't mean ya can use it. :(
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

So - you're in Washington?

I think, and I certainly could be wrong, that the rational behind that is for newcomers.

Let's say I move to Illinois. I have to either sell my toys, or find some other place, out of state, to store them, until I get smart and move away from Illinois. Same for California or New York.

But if I move to Washington, at least I can bring it with me. I can't shoot it, but I can still own it. I don't have to sell it at a loss, or store it on the other side of the country.

Again, just my theory.

Another theory is that the lawmakers in that state are just total flippin' morons.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

But how would they know Bob? Its not like the gun goes 'BANG' with a can installed. You could step out your back door and pop a few in the dirt just for giggles and theyd never know.
  9. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Get a muzzle break to keep on the gun for stowing
  10. yetiman

yetiman New Member

ROFLMAO!!!!:D
  11. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

This whole issue of suppressor legality gets my scivvies all in a bunch. If you think about it, what logical reason is there to require any special permit? It's as stupid as a total gun ban. If the bad guys want to take someone out they are going to do it, and if they want to use a suppressor they will, regardless of the law.

So why do people want suppressors??? TO SAVE THEIR FREAKING EARS and not disturb the peace. Clearly, law abiding citizens would benefit more than criminals by the lifting of restrictions on suppressors. In fact a person should be allowed to use any device he makes at home at least on his own property, without any special stamp or permit. It all goes to a number of fundamental constitutional issues.
  12. 883n

883n Former Guest

If you are in WA then silencer use has been legal since July 2011. There is a silencer shoot open to the public with suppressed firearms available for use by the public at the KRRC in Bremerton. It is open free to those who bring their own suppressed firearm, the rest of the public pays $15. I will be there with my few suppressed guns. I know the guy who is running the shoot, he has a bunch of homemade cans that he is letting people use.