Legal question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RunningOnMT, Feb 23, 2009.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I have a question regarding background investigation procedures to obtain a concealed carry permit. I wont go into specifics of the case. The application for a CC permit where I live requires you to provide a list of all places of residence since the age of 18. They do a background investigation before granting the permit. What I'm wondering is how likely is it that outstanding traffic warrants in a former state of residence would show up in this background check?
  2. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Well, I’m not attorney, but I played the part once in Inherit the Wind. Hmm . . . . . you might actually want to seek the advice of a real-live, practicing attorney in your state. He might suggest that you take care of those little details from your past, ere a flock of chickens come home to roost. Sometimes even misdemeanors can fester into something ugly.
  3. If bench warrants were issued, it is very likely they would show up on the background check, ROMT. Technically, the person involved is a fugitive if an arrest warrant has been issued. For minor traffic offenses, like running a stop sign or the like, most states will seldom pursue the issue beyond state borders, but it remains on the books and may well show up in a background check.
  4. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Hmm, I wonder. Could that be the reason that Dad would NEVER drive through ANY part of Indiana?
  5. kingnothingugm

kingnothingugm Member

You may have solved your own little mystery!:D
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I know it would be easier to just pay my fine and be done with it but so much time has passed and I didn't do anything wrong (honest:D), plus what I owe in fines could buy me a nice gun. What happened was, I was living in Texas. Anyone around the Ft Worth area knows about a little speed trap named Westworth. So one night I got a speeding ticket. Was also cited for no proof of insurance and defective exhaust. Went to court and paid the fine for speeding but argued that I did in fact have insurance coverage, I just didn't have a card showing that car listed as i had just purchased it. The judge wanted to see proof from the insurance company. The exhaust wasn't defective but the car had sat for years and water had accumulated in the crank case....it steamed when it got hot but I had the oil changed and it was fine. So the judge continued the case for 6 weeks and I was to come back to court with a letter from my insurance company and a letter from a mechanic certifying that my exhaust didn't smoke. So I obtained the necessary letters. In the meantime I had gotten laid off from a temp job and had a job offer in Houston. I forgot all about court until it was past my court date. Talking to a Houston cop later, she told me she wouldn't worry about it that this would never show up anywhere but Westworth. Well 5 years after the fact I got curious when filling out this concealed carry application, so I called up the Westworth village office. I found there were warrants out for me for almost $900.00 in fines. Have meant to pay it but...there always seems to be something more worthwhile to spend my money on. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. :D
  7. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave New Member

There is a statute. Also, it's Class A or B misdemeanors usually, not traffic tickets.

Just fill out the form. The DPS or related agency will do a security FBI check and whatever shows up on the FBI site is what they'll look at. I wouldn't worry about wide-spot Texas.
  8. bizy

bizy New Member

Well, just pay the fine with all intrest and other fees. In todays America you need a gun. I live in Oklahoma and here they do a detailed background check. My son was turned down because of a unpaid reckless driving ticket and nearly went to jail. He was turned down for the CC permit because of it..

Good Luck and God Bless.....
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I got a ticket once, in another state, never paid it, or went to court on it. Didn't show up in my back ground check!
  10. 45nut

45nut Active Member

ROMT

Question: Have you been pulled over since that ticket went to warrant? If it was on your 27 as a warrant for arrest, you would have been given bracelets and a free ride to the pokey. If not, you may be okay.

I'd check with your local LEO to see if it's actually a warrant.
  11. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

The warrant is there for sure but it's out of Westworth village, TX for failure to appear. The warrant will be cleared if I pay the fines for no proof of insurance and defective exhaust. I'm back in Ohio now and I was stopped I believe, about 2 years ago and nothing showed up then. I'll pay the fines eventually but I'd like to get my permit asap and just don't want to be denied because of this. I'm afraid once shot down I'd have problems getting the permit even after I paid the fine.
  12. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I'm afraid once shot down I'd have problems getting the permit even after I paid the fine.

Good point. I'm concerned that you might have problems getting the permit in a timely manner, even if paid now, as several years have passed since the infraction, and LEO agencies are notorious for letting the 'updated' info lag considerably before posting.
    Just my 2¢ . . .
  13. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Hi, RunningONMT, just my 2cents......was only reserve PD years ago.....but you need to know warrant will catch up to you...since u havent been stopped much...maybe we should call you "Runningonborrwedtime?"..as for Tx, check will entail criminal, basic FBI run, Taxes, Child Support, and any 27 wants or warrants...TX running 90 days on delivery of permits because of backlog..even though statute (law) says do within thirty.....

As to "didnt do anything wrong"...dont be mad but remember.....per your own words .....Judge offered solution.....he's the one to talk to , not a houston PD or others....IMOP , U should call again and get a "payment plan " started...(they usually do this )..and might save U from a lot more trouble...just tryin to be nice....

I like Ohio..when I was doing the Perimeter Security stuff..we did 14 prisons in Ohio...good freindly people I met from Lima, Chilocothe..all over..but mostly remember story from one "trustee " who worken on phone system, therefore was allowed to work for me involving the "fence security stuff "..anyway this poor dude was doing time because " a drug crazed man broke into his home...then kicked down bedroom door to get to man and wife..after warning the guy shot intruder with his shotgun when he crashed locked bedroom...but then went to jail as "Ohio had no Selfe Defense Law "..and JUdge claimed there were at least three windows he and wife could have left out of instead of shooting..."
    ( this was mid 80's)

Now U or anyone can holler " no way " but I never asked any "resident" about their sentences..this was verified and told to me by staff...anyway ..I wouldnt mess round with a warrant issued...especially in Ohio...

Just my Honest opinion for you...good luck.....

Regards,
    1shot
  14. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I agree that Ohio has strange laws that you may not want to test. I have a buddy who went to prison in Ohio. He drove up to his brother's restaraunt/bar to help his brother fix some lights. He looked through the front window and saw a guy holding a pistol to his brother's head. My friend entered through the back door and shot the bad guy. Bad guy died and my friend did 5 years. My point is that Ohio has laws that lean towards the extreme. You did not shoot anybody, but you are still a fugative. You are better off to pay the tickets and not have to worry.
  15. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Thanks for all of your input. I guess I'd better wait to submit my application until after I've paid the fines.