legal to hunt with?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by soundguy, Nov 16, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

what are caliber mins in many places for hunting deer sized game?

Smallest I've used here in florida was .223 from a mini14.

i know rimfire is not allowed in florida.. but I wonder if .222 or .218bee is ?

anyone know?

( ps.. florida deer are like big dog breed size.. ;) )
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    TX, and LA both say "any" centerfire rifle. That would include the .22 Hornet.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Florida just requires centerfire, and no FMJ for deer. So 22 Hornet is legal.
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

WA is .24 caliber minimum and centerfire for all big game except cougar which can be taken with any .22 center fire or larger caliber.

so it's funny, a .223 rifle is illegal but you could hunt with a 4" barrel .32 ACP for example.

handgun is legal here also for all big game so long as it meets the .24/center fire and 4" min barrel length.\

shotgun also legal for big game using buckshot or slugs
  5. soundguy

cool..

that means no 17hmr.. but 25acp is fine ;)

i do know a guy that hunts with 30 carbine... actually takes game with it too.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

6mm minimum on the states that care. Any centerfire for the ones that care less. and shotgun and bow only for the ones that care a little too much
  7. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Josh, I guess I could get a .204 and hunt Elk or Nilgai in our state.......
  8. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

I seem to recall decades ago one of the New England states talking about muzzle energy as opposed to caliber for establishing hunting cartridge minimums. Can't recall which state, whether their effort was successful, or if so, which cartridges met their minimum energy criteria.
  9. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

Why would they care? Archery is legal, any firearm is better than a Bow and Arrow.:)
  10. soundguy

w.. maybee not 25acp and 22 bb/cb caps.. :)
  11. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I should hunt elk with a .25 auto just to be a prick.... but I'd probably go hungry... oh wait, I already did go hungry this year, no horns.

Tomorrow is the last day of late buck, wish me luck..... here's to hoping the M1A will speak death tomorrow...... and a full freezer...

if not, chum salmon run is almost here, gonna wreck those suckers again this year, smoker is sitting ready! Filled up 3 cards last year
  12. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Here in Tn we used to have a rule of 24 caliber or larger but a few years back they changed it to any centerfire cartridge. I still don't think I could comfortably hunt big game with anything smaller than a .243. Although I have hunted in Al with a .223. (but they were small deer).
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

How 'bout translating that sentence, for those of us that don't live in the Pacific North Wet and catch salmon?
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

In Georgia it is legal to use any centerfire rifle .22 or larger for deer or bear, with no restrictions on magazine capacity. I can take my AR-15 with 30 round magazine if I wanted to!!

I have a friend that pops em in the head with a .17HMR on his own property.
  15. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

your license comes with the first card which equates to 26 fish (2/day limit) plus halibut and steelhead for a very big total. Only did salmon though so 26/card. Basically, for about a month, I went to the river every day and pulled out my two within the hour and left! had a running rotation going with brining and smoking them, it was ridiculous. Earlier it was pinks.

subsequent cards have to be bought once first is full, cost is ony $12.50 for another 26 fish! most fish average between 10-15lb.

First card was all pink salmon though and some kings and silvers.

What's funny also is the shotgun 3 roundl limit here and most places (and has to be plugged) but rifle I can have a full 20rd mag? OK with me!

When I buy a shotgun, the plug is the first thing that I rip out and toss.
  16. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Here the shotgun plug is only for migratory birds. Native - quail or turkey - can be as much as you can cram in the gun. Ducks and dove is three-max.

There's a 5-round max on centerfire semi-auto deer rifles. My 24" 44/40 lever with a 14-round capacity is fine, but M1 Carbine is 5-round max. Used to be that was for deer and bear, but I don't think you can hunt bear here anymore, to that would be just for deer. Pig doesn't have (to my knowledge) any magazine limits.
  17. 2000ShadowACE

2000ShadowACE Member

In Iowa we can only use centerfire rifles of at least .24 caliber in the southern two tiers of counties during the January antlerless season. otherwise it's shotgun or muzzle loader only.
  18. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Alabama it is any centerfire caliber using mushrooming ammunition. Each county has different regulations for buckshot though.
  19. gad1111

gad1111 Member

In Ohio it's shotgun (3 round max) this week and weekend in mid December, black powder is 4 days in early January and bow or crossbow late September to early February. Using a rifle is a big fine and loss of hunting privileges. If you want to wast a lot of time http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/hunting_deer.aspx
    I'd stack Ohios hunting regs against any state for restrictions

Greg
  20. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I have to disagree with Dog on this one. You must not do any bow hunting cause a good sharp broadhead can deal death very quickly and not make much noise. It makes a heck of a hole also.