Legalization of marijuana

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by robman2629, Nov 7, 2012.

1. robman2629

robman2629 New Member

Alright folks, Colorado passed a law to legalize marijuana for recreational use. From my understanding, a state can not pass a law that trumps a federal law. Going through CJ school, we had this debate many a times about how would it be if it were legalized. It seems as though we wouldnt have to worry about drug cartels that mainly distribute marijuana because we would be able to grow our own. However, what would happen with the people in jail for selling, trafficing, or possesion of marijuana? And how about if this does happen, what about the push to legalized more drugs like heroin or crack. Lets here your thoughts, ready...GO!
  2. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

New amendment to the state constitution. It's now going to be a right.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
  3. B27

B27 New Member

The feds will make the state an offer they can't refuse.
  4. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

It is not LEGAL because the state voted and says it is. What has happened is states are saying it is ok to IGNORE federal law. The DEA can still go in and arrest all involved and shut down any of these places if they desire to do so. Odd how pot gets people to vote yes but a right like the 2nd that is in out founding documents no state will stand up and fight for...
  5. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Not exactly true. Louisians just did. We passed it by 74%. Protection of the 2nd that is
  6. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I think Mary Jane should be legal for medicinal purposes, not recreational use. We have drunks on the roads killing people in record numbers, now we'll have to worry about somebody high as a kite driving down the highway in a car.
  7. al45lc

al45lc New Member

In fact, according to the CDC, the number of drunk driving incidents nationwide are down considerably, so I'm not sure how you came to your conclusion otherwise.
    I voted for the amendment, the law as is federally makes no sense in a world where alcohol and tobacco are allowed, it's sheer hyprocrisy.
    There is NO evidence that MJ is a gateway drug, that's propaganda by the old school chronies who looked the other way when their fellow hypocrits were caught drinking and driving, and when tobacco companies were allowed to put carcinogens in tobacco.
    MJ is NOT as addictive nor as mind altering as alcohol according to research, and not as carcinogenic as tobacco.
    Treat it like booze, driving and all, and we will see no real increase in lawlessness, a decrease in crime (it would be legal) and an increase in our much needed tax base.
    It's a win-win, if people can put aside their silly bias against it.
    And NO, I don't smoke anything, period. Never have, never will, and I've been tested for it many times for employment and for security.
  8. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

We can't control it anyway. Legalize it and tax it to death like tobacco.
  9. JohnBrainard

JohnBrainard New Member

The problem with legalizing and taxing is it changes who becomes dependent on the substance. Democrats can't afford for smokers to quit smoking because they're addicted to the money the taxes bring in.
  10. Twicepop

Twicepop Member

This is probably not going to be a popular opinion, but here goes. In my opinion they should legalize the stuff, the problems come from the laws, not the useage of pot. We as a country declared a "War on Drugs" many years back, have spent billions maybe trillions by now, of dollars fighting this war, and are no closer to winning it than when they started. What they have done is create fortunes for those that are in the drug trade. Risk drives up prices and profits, and those in the selling of drugs have made an incredible ammount of money because of the risks/laws. Look at the fortunes that were made during Prohibition, and this is no different. As long as people want this product someone will take the risk to get it to them. Prohibition didn't work and neither is this.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I agree 100%! There is no "War On Drugs", never has been! You can't fight a war against an idea, nor can you fight a war against an inanimate object such as drugs. In a War there are two sides, inanimate objects can't finght back! The "War" has always been against the people who may, or may not, use drugs. You, and I!
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  12. g1nomad

g1nomad New Member

I foresee Colorado's tourism revenue to increase?
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Now that's funny!
  14. jbmid1

jbmid1 Active Member

That was also a clever way to get people to the polls who might not have participated otherwise. This is probably what gave the state to Obama.
  15. 01brian

01brian New Member

Interesting thought, but we are just plain full of loons anyway. Mostly from the influx of the californians in the late 80's and early 90's.
  16. al45lc

al45lc New Member

Possibly, however many fiscal conservatives such as myself have come to the conclusion that this is the best way.
    Many I know said so. And most of us voted a straight Republican ticket.
  17. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

What he said:cool:
  18. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

reports here of 2 US states giving recreational pot the OK and another 3 within a few weeks

Washington and Colorado voters approved legalisation of marijuana for recreational use, making them the first U.S. states to decriminalise the practice.
    Washington will allow those at least 21 years old to buy as much as one ounce (28 grams) of marijuana from a licensed retailer. Colorado's measure allows possession of an ounce, and permits growing as many as six plants in private, secure areas. Oregon voters rejected a similar measure.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/us-elec...ational-use-20121107-28yuu.html#ixzz2BZRUJMy9
  19. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

So in LA now you no longer have to fill out a 4472 to buy a firearm? You no longer need to get a tax stamp for what are no longer NFA items to you? You no longer need a CCW to carry?

There is a huge difference between SAYING your protecting as right and passing a law that somehow lets your state IGNORE federal law.

Here in Maine we like other states have a state Constitution. In ours you look to Article 1 section 16 it says " The people have the right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned"! The problem is Federal law trumps state law thus we have to fill out 4473's to buy a firearm. We have to abide by NFA laws. We have to get a CCW to carry. Even though our state Constitution specifically says it can not be so...
  20. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Just passed. I know what jindal is up to. He has refused fed money for hurricand issac and has refused to implament obamacare and to accept money for it. He was in favor of the admendment to our constitution over gun rights. I see this as keeping us out of the fed grip. I think there is more than just me thinking about what could be later down the line.