Legion Sobol .22cal rifle US current values?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jack404, Jul 17, 2011.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

seeing if its worth including this in the next lot to the US

with papers

looking for values if known , i cant find a recent sale
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Jack,
    Took an interest in your posting. Looked up LEGION (couldn't find a reference to Sobol) in my 32nd Ed. of "THE BLUE BOOK..." and all that is listed is: "Current trademark manufactured by Izhmash, located in Ishavask, Russia. No currrent U.S. importation.
    That's probably why you can't find recent sales prices.
    Can you give us a bit more info on this piece? Pics??? Very interesting...you do see lots of stuff down there that we don't. Always good to learn from our friends.
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

If it's the target rifle with a strange "toggle" action, one listed as new on G.B. auction 3 times with minimum opening bid of $699 got no bids.

Has a compartment in bottom of stock for two extra magazines.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

hrf thats the model , the olympic ( the other version i have ) hold 4 mags in the butt for cross country triathlons ( non olympic had room for 2 )

i bought 4 in 1980 2 Sobol and 2 Olympics i paid $199 each for all four rifles and one of each has had 5 rounds through it to see which grouped better then got cleaned put back in its box and thats where they stayed until yesterday when i had time to go sort them out ( i've checked them a few times since then but only to make sure they where ok ..) Australia had pretty good trade with Russia , their firearms cameras and binoculars where available here since the late 60's as was the communist german made goods

$699 today is what i was reading one sold for a while back from a trader who bought 6 from a guy in Melbourne , i'd be most likely sticking them on consignment with cabela's or someone as that makes the whole thing a lot easier ( non resident alien sale etc)

in New zealand where they had a good rep they sell for $629 NZ new ( Sobol only, the olympic model aint been made since 84) thats about $549 USD so $699 is a bit rich ...

the "toggle" bolt is what some folks call a "T" bolt ..

Pic's ( from the web i've put the camera somewhere or its in the car and the girly has borrowed it for the day)

current international version 10 round mag no spare mag's ( WMR version )

[​IMG]

model 10 ( current model ) action

[​IMG]

my olympic model 4

[​IMG]

its action

[​IMG]

different engraving to my one but you'll get the idea of the finish of "the hunter" range

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

and lastly from the web site

the new hunter are NOT the old hunters

no match barrels wood is not hand picked , not carved ( but a option that extra ) dunno what these are but look at the mean spread figures , 25 mm thats a few thou over a inch!!!! spec's on both mine where 10 mm MAX from a bench vice depending on the AMMO ...

these things are $300 a pop here and thought to be "so so" value a Biakal rifle of better accuracy is $275 here so they aint a big seller compared to biakal or these which are same price as the biakal

http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/sm2ko.shtml

like many things they have changed , i try to buy the old barrels as they are tack drivers , but even thats running dry now if your gonna buy one buy pre 97 .. they are brilliant and superbly accurate , but aint the same after 97 ..

dont get me wrong, they are stil very good entry level match rifles , brilliant action .. ( half the price of the US "T bolts") but before , every one was world class , to do so with the modern ones needs a bit done to it like most entry level ones

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

but this was posted on a NZ gun laws site from a guy passing through the USA

[​IMG]

so raised my interest .. ;)
  7. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I think it is the way the bolt operates that turns off the Americans Jack 404. JMHO.
  8. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

It seems to be "counter-intuitive" whatever that means. Whatever, never saw one of those before. Jack thanks for sharing - always open to learning new stuff - and this seems to be the place for to do so.
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

think of this , you have a rifle slung with a heavy sling that when in position allows you to ski without the rifle moving .. you pull up at your target , you reach round for the rifle , it pivots and you hold the grip with your right hand you load in a clip and slap the action bar with your mitted hand and it cocks and loads the weapon

you can operate it with MITT's on .. maybe awkward to look at but heck , the Ruski's knew a heap about what ya can and cant do in cold ..