Lemon Meringue Pie

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by 45nut, Oct 5, 2009.

1. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Lemon Meringue Pie

Lemon Filling:

• 4 egg yolks (reserve whites for meringue)
    • 1/3 cup cornstarch
    • 1 1/2 cups water
    • 1 1/3 cups sugar
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 3 tablespoons butter
    • 1/2 cup lemon juice
    • 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
    • 1 (9-inch) pre-baked pie shell
    • 1 recipe Meringue, recipe follows

Directions

Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
    Whisk egg yolks in medium size mixing bowl and set aside.
    In a medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, water, sugar, and salt. Whisk to combine. Turn heat on medium and, stirring frequently, bring mixture to a boil. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and gradually, 1 whisk-full at a time, add hot mixture to egg yolks and stir until you have added at least half of the mixture.
    Return egg mixture to saucepan, turn heat down to low and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 more minute. Remove from heat and gently stir in butter, lemon juice, and zest until well combined. Pour mixture into pie shell and top with meringue while filling is still hot. Make sure meringue completely covers filling and that it goes right up to the edge of the crust. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until meringue is golden. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Make sure pie is cooled completely before slicing.

Meringue Topping:

• 4 egg whites
    • 1 pinch cream of tartar
    • 2 tablespoons sugar

Place egg whites and cream of tartar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form and then gradually add sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form, approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Use to top lemon filling.

Yield: topping for 1 (9-inch) pie
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Now that is one of my favourite deserts, one of many including apple pie and custard, treacle pudding, spotted dick, rhubarb pie and custard, Ice cream and those fried bananas you get at Chinese restaurants and apple pie and custard.

I know I wrote the last one twice, but I really like it and wanted seconds.
  3. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    My other favorite pie!! Tranter, what is treacle pudding and spotted dick?
  4. 45nut

45nut Active Member

They're English desserts.

Spotted Dick

Ingredients:

* 115g / 4oz raisins
    * 55g / 2oz currants
    * 75g /3oz dark brown sugar
    * Grated zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
    * 225g / 8oz self-raising flour plus extra for dusting
    * 115g /4oz shredded suet
    * Pinch of salt
    * 55ml /2 fl oz milk

Preparation:

1. In a small bowl mix the raisins, currants, sugar and lemon rind for the filling.

2. Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl; add the suet and the salt and rub together to combine. Add a little milk and using a knife cut through the mixture, adding more milk little by little until it comes together. Finally use your hands to combine into a soft, elastic dough. Add more milk if necessary.

3. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll into a rectangle approx 20cm x 30cm (8 x 12 inches).

4. Evenly spread the pudding filling mixture over the dough leaving a 1cm/ 1/2 inch border. Paint the border with a little cold water. Roll up carefully from the narrow end.

5. Soak a clean tea towel or cloth napkin in boiling water for a few minutes, squeeze to remove excess water.

6. Wrap the suet roll pudding in the napkin twisting at each end at securing with kitchen string.

7. Steam the pudding roll for 2 hours in a steamer. Alternatively, wrap the pudding suet roll in foil and bake in a hot oven (200ºC/400ºF/Gas 6) for 1 hour 30 mins.

8. Unwrap immediately, cut into thick slices and serve in warmed bowls with lashings of custard.

TREACLE PUDDING

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
    1 cup sugar
    4 eggs
    A few drops of vanilla extract
    2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
    1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
    1 1/4 cups Tate & Lyle Golden Syrup (a little extra will do no harm).

With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
    Add the eggs, one at a time, along with the vanilla.
    With a spatula, fold in the flour and baking powder and mix until smooth.
    Preheat oven to 350F.
    Butter and flour a 10-inch round Bundt pan.
    Pour the syrup into the pan, then spoon in the sponge batter, gently smoothing the top with a spatula.
    Bake for about 30 minutes; the sponge should be golden on top.
    Remove the pudding from the oven and let it cool for 2-3 minutes. Place a plate on top of the Bundt pan, then quickly but firmly turn the plate and pan upside down to release the cake onto the plate.. You may need to loosen the edges very slightly with a knife before you flip it.
    Serve with hot custard.

HOT CUSTARD

3/4 cup heavy cream
    1 cup whole milk
    1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    4 egg yolks

Heat cream, milk, sugar, and vanilla until hot but not boiling. Remove from heat, whisk in egg yolks.
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I feel sorry for those who are not familiar with our puddings. They really are the best, especially with custard on top!
  6. 45nut

45nut Active Member

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?! :eek: :D :D

Tranter is right on English desserts. Now, some of those boiled dishes like "Bubble & Squeak" are, I think, more acquired tastes. :eek:
  7. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Bubble and squeak? boiled cabbage and potato? A dessert? :eek: I think not.

(09041616555/C. ignore this)
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2009
  8. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Well now I am more enlightened! I'm not sure bout the suet thing though.