length of case good overall length of compleated bullet 10 thousand over

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by billr, Apr 9, 2005.

1. billr

billr New Member

I have 500 rounds that are 10 -1000 over length , is this a major problem?
    case is with in recomended length--bolt action 6MM
    Thanks
    Bill
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

If you are calculating the length of overall cartridge using the length given in a reloading manual, they might be too long for reliable feeding in a semi-automatic, but just fine for a revolver. If they feed reliably, and the bullet has enough bearing surface in the case to resist backing out under recoil, then they probably are alright. If you are not running a compressed powder load, run them back through the seater to drop the length to your specifications, if you wish. Rhe only reason I say "might" and "probably" is because I don't know what cartridge or weapon you are discussing.

Note: the #13 Speer manual doesn't even list maximum OAL for cartridges. Only for the cases.

Pops
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

On a bolt rifle which headspaces of the cartridge shoulder.....if the rounds feed reliably, .010 overlength shouldn't be a problem.