Length of pull ?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by howlnmad, Jan 4, 2012.

1. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I'm trying to find a small caliber rifle for my grandson. Can anyone tell me the proper way to measure him for length of pull. And maybe suggest a rifle manufacture that makes center-fire youth rifles. Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

have him stand with arms at his side and then bring his hand up with a pistol grip (like he's holding a pistol with his finger extended on the trigger), keeping his upper arm at his side. measure from the inside of bicep to the pad on his index finger. Not sure if you can visualize this or not, so I found a pic.

[​IMG]

Rossi makes some good single shot centerfires and at a reasonable price too.
  3. Pagrizz

Pagrizz Member

Have him bend his arm at a 90.Measure him from the inside of his elbow to the first digit of his trigger finger.If you hunt in cold weather take off a half of an inch to allow for a heavy coat
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=20&category=9&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

Available in chamberings of .223 Rem .243 Win .308 Win .30-06 .270 Win 7.62x39, 22-250 Rem. and .44 Mag. All youth models come standard with scope mount base and hammer extension. Youth models come standard with removable cheek piece.

I think I'd go with 7.62 x 39, if I was picking one out.

Then there's this. It's small, it's light. It has a full-size length of pull, but you could cut an inch or two off the back. Keep the piece you cut off, and when he gets bigger, reattach it.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-527-carbine/
  5. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

Several manufacturers (remington ect..) make youth models of bolt action rifles; aftermarket youth stacks are available. You are not limited to single shot rifles.
    More importantly, match the caliber to the shooter, I am sure that he will develop a few bad habits if he is getting beat up by whatever you buy. .243 and .270 are adequate for hunting and less abusive to the shooter than most, there is a entire range of options. Ammunition in these 2 calibers is available in a wide variety of loads.
    If the kid has not shot before, perhaps start him with a .22 rimfire.

Look at the larger chain stores like cabellas ect.... and realize that after Christmas it will be rather slim pickings.
  6. howlnmad

You folks are awesome. Thank you for the many replies. I got him measured out at 12 1/2 inches.
    I've been looking at the Rossi Tri-Fecta package. I thought that it would be good to give him the 22, shotgun and rifle all in one platform. I was thinking along the .243 caliber. I've got a Rem 700 BDL in 270 but I just hate the thoughts off cutting up such beautiful wood. Maybe I should shop around for a replacement stock.
  7. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

People have described above the correct way to measure. If it were me, I would get him a model 7 and be done with it. I am 6ft 7 and can shoot mine just fine. My friends grandson is 4 years old and he can shoot my same rifle just fine. Its not all about the stock. I have found a good scope with a lot of eye relief makes a huge difference in maximum versatility.
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

My experience might help others.

I wanted to get a 22LR bolt gun for my grandson and granddaughter to use (she is reluctant to try shooting but we'll get her into it yet!). I got the CZ452 youth model. His first shooting session, although he seemed to enjoy it, was frustrating for me. He could not get the idea of getting behind the gun to shoot it (strange, I know but listen up). Also the stock was too long even for him at 10 years old. Later we determined (he and me) that he was trying to shoot right handed, sighting with his left eye, his dominant eye.

I shortened the stock a couple of inches and today when we go shooting I will cover his left eye shooting glasses lens with Magic Mending Tape to blur his sight with that eye so he will be forced to use his right eye. He is looking forward to going shooting as is his mother, my daughter-in-law, with her new to her S&W 38Special Model 10.

LDBennett
  9. howlnmad

He's been shooting the little Stevens model J-15 (?) that I've had forever. He's only 8 but is so anxious to hunt with a rifle. I offered to let him lay his finger on my 7 mag but he declined. Don't know why?
  10. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

My dad about ruined me for life by offering me big guns. When I was 7 or 8, he stuck a .458 Win without a brake in my hands and told me to shoot it. It took me years to get over flinching after that.
  11. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

My other two grandkids have been spoon fed guns by my son-in-law for maybe five years. First it was 22LR rifles then 22LR handguns and now the youngest one (also 10) shoots a 38 Special pistol. I hand load for her and the loads are no more than starting loads. She loves the gun.

It is cruel to give a kid a heavy recoiling gun. It ruins the potential for some to ever shoot a gun again.

LDBennett
  12. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Agreed, Why make a child suffer that recoil. You may as well slam their finger in a car door on purpose.

My buddy did that to is kid and now the kid wont even shoot a 9mm carbine rifle. He is just too afraid that the old oh it wont hurt you is still the same lie. When theyre ready they will shoot the bigger guns.
  13. howlnmad

Correction, he has a 10 inch lop.
  14. howlnmad

I wonder if it makes people feel big or happy to talk a kid into firing a weapon that's far to much for them.
    I know the 1st rifle I shot was the ol 30-40 Krag. I was about my grandsons age and I knew it was gonna kick and it might hurt. Dad never tried to coax me into pulling the bang bang switch.
  15. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Taking off length for a shooting jacket or winter clothes doesn't hurt a thing for shirt sleeve shooting. Better a little to short then a little to long.