Length of pull ?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by howlnmad, Jan 4, 2012.

1. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Some people think exactly that. I bought one of the Mossberg 3 1/2" magnum 12 ga. pumps when they first came out. I shot it two times and said to myself "heck with this." I took it to the gun club to sell it. I told somebody at the gun club I was selling it because how bad it kicked and next thing I know there was a line of jack asses gathering to experience pain. I hate recoil. I am a Wimp, Wuss, or whatever else you can think of. I see no point in getting beat to hell when you dont have to.
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

That's why I'm looking for something short enough in a small caliber. I think a 223 or 243 with the right length stock and shouldered properly will do him fine. I know I've killed several deer with the 223 and see no reason why he can't start with that.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

In some states you can not hunt deer with 223. In CA I think 243 is the smallest caliber you can use (??). Other states may have other rules. You have to check out the laws and hunting rules before committing to any hunting rifle, I would think. But 223 is most certainly the right caliber for a youth.

LDBennett
  4. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

It used to be .24 caliber or larger here in Tn. A few years ago they changed the law to any center fire cartridge. Heck, I could even go with the 204.