Length of time to get DPMS AR-15 uppper built !!!

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by wpshooter, Jun 24, 2010.

1. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

I contacted the DPMS company a little over 8 months ago about having them build me a custom left-handed AR-15 5.56mm upper.

And NO, I don't want a right-handed upper !!!

They told me when I contacted them that they did not require any deposit to take my order to special build me an upper.

They also said it would take from 3 to 5 months to get the upper from them.

Like I say, it has now be a little over 8 months since I initially contacted them and still have seen no upper.

I contacted them again about 4 months ago and inquired as to the status. They said that they still had my order and that it might be another 1 to 3 months.

Contacted them yet again about a month ago and got the terse reply:

"Your order is not lost he has it on his desk along with a lot of other orders"

And with NO indication as to when I might expect to see any product.

So my questions to you are:

Is this DPMS a major reputable AR-15 builder or are they just some fly-by-night joe that has a minimal number of employees trying to build AR-15 with more orders than they can possibly fill in a reasonable time frame OR is it that they expect me to (even though they told me that when I placed the order that I did not have to give them any money up front), that they have buyers that are giving them money to go to the head of the line or that they are waiting for me to offer to pay for some or all of the cost of building the upper before they start building it ?

Thanks.
  2. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Are you talking e-mail or voice?

E-mail is very impersonal.

My reading would suggest DPMS is a reputable company. Many folks love thier stuff. I've no idea what is required for a 'lefty' rifle. If you want a rifle that ejects the brass to the left, you may have to wait a bit. My last Del-Ton took almost 9 months to get and its a 'righty'. Granted, that was right after the One got elected.

I would suggest talking to someone. If the answers aren't to your liking, ask to talk to someone elses supervisor.

Good luck.
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

For a lefty you would need a lefty upper receiver, lefty bolt carrier, (bolt is ambi just by rotating it) . The only other thing that I can think of is a barrel extension headspaced for lug engagement on a lefty bolt but I don't think there may be a difference. I don't see what the big deal is but I do know that they are way behind on their uppers. I was waiting on a upper that was on back order for 4 months. I finally just built my own using simular components.
    There is a guy on another one of the forums that I'm on that works for Panther Arms as a machinist. I'll ask him if that is a tall order for a lefty.