LES P18 9mm

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Kestral, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Kestral

Kestral Member

Have aquired what appears to be a pre-production LES P18 9mm stainless pistol .The nose cone is not well fitted,but otherwise vg.The r/t hand side is stamped Rogak Inc !!! Morton Grove USA.Does anyone know if they went into production,and if any spares ie nose cone would be available Kestral.

Attached Files:

2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I've seen a couple of those P-18s. One in private collection and one at a show several years back. Both of them were rather poorly finished too...that poor fitting slide cap is probbly as good as you're gonna find.
    If you do some web-crawling for the history of the pistol you'll find that it was made only for a short time back in the late-70s using plans for what would eventually become the Steyr GB.

Is your gun serialed, and how low is the number? There were only about 2500 or so of the Rogak-made P18s made before Steyr shut them down.
  3. Kestral

Kestral Member

Thanks for the info,I wonder if the Steyr parts would fit.Might be worth a try, my s/n is 6138,But I dont know if they started at 6000 or at a much lower No_Out of curiousity where abouts is Morton Grove,any idea. Regards Kestral
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

The Steyr parts might fit, but I'd definitely keep that P-18 as stock as possible. It's a very low-production firearm and would be an interesting collector piece to the right person.
    I don't have any info on serial numbers for them though...I just have a limited trivia-type interest in the Rogak because of it's relation to the Steyr GB. My uncle has a GB and while I'm not a big fan of the "wonder-nine" type pistol (high-capacity double-action autoloaders that is) I really do enjoy taking his GB out for a few rounds whenever we go shooting together.

One P-18 that I've seen had a 24xx range serial number, the other I don't remember.

Morton Grove, Illinois is a suburb of Chicago...north of metropolitan Chicago and just northeast of Chicago's O'Hare airport.
    It gained notoriety in 1981 for it's ban on handgun ownership...which is pretty close to the time that Rogak was forced via lawsuit from Steyr to discontinue production of the P-18 pistol that you've got.

That sort of makes a "hat-trick" (Excuse the hockey pun. 3 points...the lawsuit, the handgun ban, and the low production) to make your P-18 a collectible.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I remember when they came out. Soldier of Fortune did a review on it. One of the few times I've ever seen a magazine article say this about a gun. "Jamamatic". They were not impressed.