Less than exceptional results

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by .308 shooter, Sep 19, 2008.

1. .308 shooter

.308 shooter New Member

Okay.... I just shot my first round with the bullets seated longer to where I hope it's just off the lands. I won't go through all that again, as I've worn that record out already.

My results were okay, but that's it. My bullet was seated at 2.885" and the groups were less than 1" in most cases, but not always. I varied my powder charges same as my first round with they were seated at 2.81". the 2.81" seating groups were consistently under 1/2" and even 3/8".

Should I experiment more with different seating depths or just go back to the one I know worked well. Remember, the best accuracy out of my factory rifle without gunsmithing is what I'm going for.

Thanks,

Jamey
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

308shooter:

Sometimes touching the lands doesn't work. If you checked the bullet and cse runout as I explained before then you might find out why.

If you are getting 5 shot groups under 1/2 inch at 100yds with a particular combination (including the bullet NOT on the lands) then stay with that OAL and start changing other things. But if you are really getting 1/2 inch groups I think you have arrived. Load up 50 or so and see if it happens with every reloading session or it was just luck (??).

LDBennett
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Just my two cents but your are exceeding maximum OAL according to my data - 2.810. A master reloader and gunsmith pointed out to me some rounds I tried as you did were not seated well enough allowing gas to escape around the neck/bullet before it seperates, resulting insome very terrible accuracy and pressure. I don't know if others agree but this sounds exactly like what I did a few months ago.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  4. .308 shooter

.308 shooter New Member

Thanks again LD..... you too 312.

LD: I did check everything as you stated before. I think I will go backwards now down to where I know I was getting great results. Current length is 2.885". I think I'm gong to reduce it by .015" down to my tried and true 2.815".

I'll let you know how it turns out. Wish me luck!!!!