1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Let me axe ya.....

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by wuzzagrunt, Jan 31, 2004.

1. wuzzagrunt

wuzzagrunt New Member

I just bought the Granfors Bruks Mini Hatchet (left) to keep my GB Hunter's Axe company. These are made in Sweden and are very interesting tools. Heads forged on old power forges, each axe/hatchet comes stamped with the maker's mark.

I've only used the Hunter but they hold an edge very nicely. They were both shaving sharp out, of the box. The GB axes/hatchets are very nicely balanced, and compared to the Home Depot special, they are extremely light weight. The Mini Hatchet is small enough to slip into the back pocket of your jeans (use the sheath!!!), and light enough to not drag your trousers down. No "Plumber's Cleavage" from this riding in your back pocket. They are kind of pricey, but IMHO, very well worth the money.

Axes aren't sexy like blacked-out fighting knives and survival blades, but if I had to grab only one blade, before bugging out, I think I'd take my Hunter's Axe.

Note: shown with my USMC Kabar to give an idea of the scale.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2004
  2. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

wuzzagrunt, Axe away! :D

I like that little 1... a lot!
  3. rmrdaddy

rmrdaddy New Member

Thanks for the good write-up. I have been looking at a Granfors ax for a year or so, to use for all-around yard work, clearing brush, small trees, etc... and never knew anyone else who had worked with one. Looks like I'll have one for spring! Rob:)
  4. wuzzagrunt

wuzzagrunt New Member

The Hunter is a bit light for serious, all day use. For a more versatile tool, you'd probably want to go with something like the Scandinavian Forest axe. More reach and weight than the Hunter (which is really more of a long-handled hatchet) but still not a full fledged felling axe.

Cutsforth Knives has about the best prices I've seen. Shop around, though, because prices are all over the map on these things. A.G. Russell sells the Mini-Hatchet for something like $125.00. You can do better than that.
  5. Don Buckbee

Don Buckbee New Member

Granfors

Wuzzagrunt,
    Those Granfors axes are really good looking.. Never knew they made a small axe like the Mini. Now I'm all pumped up to buy one... :D Lots of possibilities for the Mini....
    Thanks for the post!!!!
    Don
  6. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

I've got a Eastwing Axe - about 30" long I guess. Built like the Eastwing Hammers. Holds a nice edge and has made it up to "truck axe" for me. All metal down to the rubber handle. The sharp side takes care of typical duties, the blunt end has been helpful in a couple of auto accident rescues.

I'll rustle up a picture later.

Where did you get the axes in the pictures?
  7. wuzzagrunt

wuzzagrunt New Member

I got the Mini Hatchet from Cutsforth Knives (see link a couple of posts up). I got the Hunter Axe someplace else :confused:
  8. offeror

offeror New Member

I just received a small shipment from a well-known mail order house and threw in $5 for what they called a "camp axe." I don't use an axe too often but thought this might be a value-priced way to stock the toolbox just in case. It arrived, and the machining and finish are positively Z-rate. In the picture it looks like a typical Sears product but it isn't nearly even THAT well made. The neck and back of the head is still an un-deburred block of non-finished plain steel with all corners sharp enough to cut you. They claim it's forged steel but I'm guessing the edge will start to dull on the first project.

That's the flip side of the cost question.

Those Swedes certainly have a good reputation for cutlery in general. I have 3 Moras and would buy mor-a them ... :D