Let's add a "Survival Board"

Discussion in 'TFF Technical Support Forum & Suggestion Box' started by netexasemt, Oct 19, 2011.

1. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

Some have suggested we add a Survival Board on the Forum. I also think this is a great idea where others will feel more openly to discuss survival situations.

I vote for adding a new board titled "The Survival Board"
  2. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

my post from earlier, made a few good points if i do say so myself:

3. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

I guess I'm voting yes again?
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

I'm for the idea but with hesitations , yes this group is by far the most open minded one i've seen , we can disagree on a range of things but still stay civil .. thats rare

But Survival , with all its meanings and variances is a topic that can go "south" real fast

in fact i think this is why folks talk , "zombies" so much rather than deal with the implications a survival situation discussion may raise

what am i saying ?

it gets racial ...

nearly all folks have fears of racial /ethnic / religous groups , massing together to become a serious entity in a SHTF scenario

say terrorists take out 80% of the power grid , or a group allies its self with Hezbollah :) and takes out major transport or data nets , or your oil refining capability , nation wide ..

cops over run when food cant get through and folks cant get paid as the computers cant get power to pay folks, places like sydney LA and others will fall apart fast ..

if something like that takes months or a year to fix or if its a ongoing attack

what will society be like in these places ??

Choas theory dictates the most common denominator principle , socialogists say clanning will happen , either way some folks will make groups run by "leaders" others will be prey for them , the groups will war and folks will get caught in the cross fire

from what i have seen round the place , it wont be good ..

these chats eventually go to name calling .. and its down hill from there

the majority of discussion on this is fine , but long term urban scenarios are dangerous folks

maybe because they are in truth , the nastiest thing ever created

CQB the MOST darwinian process yet devised by man .. make it a survival scenario ?? sheeeesh

so make sure your up for it and prepared to self sensor yourselves A LOT if it fly's
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  5. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

oh i agree jack, things can get out of hand. i've been on militia and/or survival forums where discussions got heated, people got banned/muted/kicked, and in general the SHTF on the forum. but these were forums with the kind of people on them who are would be Rambos. the kind of people i can picture overeacting in the extreme early stages of a collapse and getting put down hard and quickly by the government-state, local, and fed, as well as by other survival groups/militias.

but every day on TFF i see members addressing racial, ethnic, and political issues in a calm and reasonable manner. while discussion occasionally gets heated i've noticed that in almost every instance it only takes a single warning from a moderator to calm things down and in no time at all apologies have been passed around, tempers cooled, and back to business as normal.

so do i think there will never be any angry words exchanged in the survival board? certainly not! but i know with certainty that it will be handled in the end with dignity and reason and that we will all be friends again. and if there is someone on who is a serious problem(probably a newer member), they will either be put back in their place or booted.
  6. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Thanks for your suggestion. The staff will discuss it and we will let you know what is decided.
  7. Cowboy6373

Cowboy6373 New Member

Instead of calling it a survival board, call it a tactical board. Subjects would be more wide ranging and also include survival.
  8. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

I totally agree with what Jack said. Not from our current membership but from the new members who thrive on forums of that nature. If we add a survival forum they WILL seek us out. Do we really need to loose what took us almost 11 years to become ?

We already have a Self Defense Tactics and Weapons Forum and any survival posts should be there.

Staff will discuss the matter.
  9. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

I agree with Shooter!

its cool to talk about what could be in a bug bag or how to handle survival conditions..we dont need to enter into the realm of "what if this happens" better to stay with "if I encounter extreme cold conditions, dry no water, super wet and so forth! "those are where knowing will help much more! its the basics that will keep us alive. the rest is just a dream till it happens.
  10. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Shooter's quote
    :yeahthat:

I'm with Sam.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    We already have over 40, how many do we need? I am not familure with other froums, so I have to take the word of those that know, if adding another board will bring in undesireables, then, why create it?
  12. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

For what its worth, one of the reasons I like it here is because the fringe doen't seem interested in joining. Survival forums usually aren't very realistic(IMHO) and generate a lot of unnecessary hysteria . I vote no.
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i chat with some US Militia folks, the group is actually named for cooking...

so they dont attract the wanna be's, experts etc and these are folks who ARE survivalist or Militia and LIVING it every day , and they dont want the hassle with it all either

now blogs and sites are not hard to make , cheap , $50 a year will get a good site for a few hundred members , and you can run it any way you wish , i did a few times on differing subjects , throw in a link to it in the links section and away ya go , its not hard , the hard part is getting a stable audience ..

me i've a simple philosophy for SHTF scenario's

get away from people ... grab the ones ya want and clear away from the rest and let em sort it themselves , come back after a couple years and sort whats left.. if suitable , if not steer clear for a few more years ..
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  14. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I Don't really see a need for it.

Whatcha suggest for a BOB is one thing. Surviving an apocalypse is entirely different. There're plenty of other sites for that.

I joined ESAR (explorer search and rescue) at the age of 12 when it was offered by the local fire dept. and the Mountaineers Club. What an experience!

I learned at an early age what 1st aid was, how to navigate using a compass, and how to navigate without one. The stories about walking in circles is true, but it's easy to fix.

When I was 16, a group of us went mountain climbing in BC (Beyond), and got stuck in a white out on a mtn top for two days. At 15, we were called out of school to search for two lost hunters in the middle of nowhere (NE corner of Washington). We flew from McChord AFB to Fairchild AFB in Spokane, and took the bus from there. After two days of searching in the dead of winter, they decided to call in the big boys. The next day, many troops from the Washington National Guard showed up in their cotton fatigues and polished marching boots.:confused:

The NEXT day, us kids were treating them for hypothermia.:rolleyes:

I guess my point is, we can talk about the subject all we want. But until ya get out there and DO it, it's just ideas that folks share. Ya have to live it to learn it.

That's the problem I have with the subject. Most folks on the SHTF boards are wannabees. They're real tough if ya listen to them. Yet I'd bet that 90% of them have NO practical (1st hand) knowledge they can present. It's all read or heard.

I had taken no less than 4 1st aid courses by the age of 15. We were taught how to make our own 1st aid kits. We marched for mile upon mile until we could judge our distance by how many steps we took. We were taught the virtues of wool clothing, and good boots. And what boot grease NOT to use.

I'll stop as I'm rambling.

So I'm siding with Jack, Sam, and Carver.

If ya got a question, ask it. Answers/suggestions will come from all over. We have a great bunch of folks here that will gladly share their 'experiences'.

The last thing I wanna see is a forum that promotes mis-information due to the Rambo effect.

Does that make sense?:eek:
  15. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

I think the forum wouldnt be that good of an idea.
    I HAVE THE SOLUTION TO EVERY DISASTER.

I take my jeep load up all my guns ammo and friends and we take over cosco and hold onto it.
    COSCO HAS EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO LIVE