Let's do our own poll....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by polishshooter, Sep 15, 2012.

?

Are you voting this year, if so for WHOM?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2012.
  1. Definitely Obama/Biden...

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. Definitely Romney/Ryan...

90 vote(s)
    93.8%
  3. Undecided yet....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I will not vote, or am not registered....

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

+1!
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

KY, I am sorry if you misunderstood my posts.

My Dad was a blue collar guy, never finished 8th grade, a WWII vet, worked his @ss off for his family, got a wierd form of sclerosis, everything that pointed to Lou Gehrigs disease EXCEPT he didn't die in less than 4 years...dragged on like MS, more and more dependent on the wheelchair, until he got on SSI, except he wasn't completely bedridden UNTIL he got cancer on top of it which eventually killed him...and YEAH he was a tough "Taskmaster..." for all of his 5 kids...he wanted us to have it BETTER than he did...

Except for the $97/month child allowance SSI my mom RELIGIOUSLY put in my checking account the 8 months I was in school each year, but KEPT when I was home on vacations and summers for room and board...

I paid my OWN way through college...Yeah, with a few minor scholarships, but by WORKING full and part time, multiple jobs, as a carpenter's helper and a floorwalker catching shoplifters in a Department Store...AND working my @ss off in all the "spare time" I had when I wasn't working for somebody else or in school, hauling scrap metal when Sheet Metal paid $20/ton not $250/ton like it does NOW, with a truck I paid for, thank you very much...

DON'T give me crap about ADVANTAGES... ANYBODY back then could have gone to college if they WORKED for it....

And YEAH, I had to pay back loans, and I wonder if I EVER got back that "investment...."

NOW? Since Clinton, and the bullcrap FAFSA, Yeah, you have to EITHER have PARENTS willing to sacrifice everything to pay the bills, ORbe on welfare then the government pays EVERYTHING.

No more can anybody pay their OWN way through college like I did.

That is ONE of the reasons I am STILL poor...since both my kids did NOT declare independence and go on welfare like the Democrats WANT them to do...so the government WILL pay their way through collelge..I paid for BOTH of them, the amount the government said I HAD to ...:mad:

KY, I had NO advantages to go to college...in fact, you sound like a Liberal Democrat to even SUGGEST that...

I earned my OWN way through school thank you very much, just like ANY American USED to be able to...

DON'T give me any crap about my "advantages", KY, PLEASE...
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  3. polishshooter

And KY, I love you to DEATH...don't misunderstnad me..

"Education" is RELATIVE....you PAY for it ONE way or another...

It doesn't matter whether you work your @ss off in a coal mine or work your @ss off to go to college...

EACH of us has our own "Education" if both of us has WORKED for our experiences...

Yeah I may have more "Book Learning" than most guys have but I can STILL use a chainsaw and read a tree because my Dad was a logger....and I can STILL mix concrete and pour a driveway or sidewalk because my dad was ALSO a concrete man and I can STILL roof a house or do MOST carpenter work because Dad was ALSO a carpenter and my brother was too and I WORKED for him when he was a contractor...I can STILL turn a wrench and tear down an engine because Dad said you had to do it BECAUSE you couldn't afford to pay someone else to do it for you...

..and I CAN drive a Mack dump truck and operate a paver and grade at least a lttle with a John Deere grader and a maintainer and work a loader and tamp and shovel and lute and run a heavy and a finish roller with the best of them laying asphalt since I HAD to do it when I lost my job for a few years that my EDUCATION got me....

And yeah I have raced, fished, hunted, built guns, shot in competition, golfed, landscaped, downed trees, cut and sold firewood, worked on cars, and a bunch of OTHER stuff I can't even begin to remember, in my life that had NOTHING to do with my formal "Education..."

I do NOT EVER begrudge anyone their "Education," formal or OTHERWISE.

The school of "Hard Knocks" is as much of a school as ANY school of "higher learning."

All I ask is for anybody NOT to begrudge the " Book Learning" I worked for and EARNED....

Yeah, I have been in the trenches with enough "College Boys" that couldn't find their @ss in the dark with both hands in the "Real World..."

But not EVERY "College Boy" does not have the same "Real World" experience that YOU do...
  4. kentuckyrifleman

kentuckyrifleman Member

Polish

Calm down.

Didnt' you see the part were I wrote that I am sure you earned your degree?

But just because you got one doesnt mean you can insult people who happen to disagree with you.

Now that is CRAP!!
  5. polishshooter

KY, I will go back and review the posts to see where I may have insulted anyone who disagreed with me....I do not remember any "insults" that did not insult me first...

....and if they hadn't insulted me first I will apologize in advance.
  6. polishshooter

KY I went through ALL my posts and found none in which I insulted ANYBODY until Olgrump insulted me and said I was "Historically Ignorant" and need to "read more books."

THAT is what caused me to throw my BA at him.

And come ON, somone that is calling someone "Historically Ignorant" that has no IDEA that that person he is so insulting in fact has a degree in History is at least special if not entertaining, isn't it?:D

But I will accept that one cannot read too many books, and although I feel I can challenge most anybody to match the number of books I HAVE read....but at the same time will readily accept that others may have not ONLY read MORE books than I have but may have read OTHER books than I have...there are a LOT of books out there.....

...but still I felt I needed to chastise him a little for his arrogance.:cool:

Yeah from then on I think that I have insulted HIM, which does not make me feel good by any means. But I back down from no bully. And I am sorry, he EARNED it.

And at the same time I know I have not convinced him to vote for Romney, so I FAILED.

But at the same time, I reallize if anybody is trying to convince someone to support a third party to replace one of the two major parties we have at this time, no matter how much I may wish it to happen, I realize he is just one of the many acolytes not suited to the job.

But that does NOT mean what he feels or believes is WRONG for America....

Just at this exact time, it IS...
  7. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    We will never be an Italy or UK, they are different forms of government. UK is a parliamentarian form of government and Italy is a Republic but it only has 15 regions to contend with not 50 states and its constitution has been amended more times than you can shake a stick at it and it was only ratified in 1948 so lets stay with apples and not bring the pears and oranges into the discussion.

The reason we are stuck in a 2 party system is because they were successful in side stepping some constitutional issues, they got to big and powerful and the working stiff was to busy rebuilding our country and putting our lives back in order after the civil war, the war to end all wars, WWII, the undeclared Korean War which is a prime example of our Republic gone wrong. There should never be an undeclared war. I fought in one in Viet Nam and I'm still mad that we didn't have a declaration of war, that the country didn't back us and the politicians snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

We have imploded and both parties need to be reformed radically but they won't do it without a huge outside push. 10% to 15% would shake their tree so bad but we have all the inertia guys saying we can't win with a third party so lets not try. Even 5% or 6% of the popular vote would change the decision making in congress.

We don't need to win, we just need enough votes to prevent a super majority of either major party and force them to deal with a third party in order to function. This will not happen until they clean up their act. That is what a third party is good for. So go Boo Hoo all you want, it doesn't matter what goombah sits in the oval office if we don't straighten out congress.

Your insistence that we all vote Republican all the way only encourages the Old Guard to continue as they were. Push the current resident out and replace him with another liberal and congress just keeps on doing what they have done for the last 150 years. Faces change but we still have the same problems we have had inside the beltway. It isn't the Supreme Courts job to fix the problem, it is ours.
  8. polishshooter

Ol grump, thanks for not backing down. And I thank you for your service to our country.

I can appreciate everything you say, EXCEPT the fact that right NOW is the wrong time to say it.

I wish the HECK more people would have thought your way 16 or 32 or even 80 years ago... or even more, about the time our downfall was STARTING, about the time of Teddy Roosevelt or at least Woodrow Wilson...

I AGREE with you...EXCEPT we are so far gone that his election MAY just mean the end of our Country that we both know and love, that AFTER this election it may not MATTER how much you and I wish to "fix" it....there may be nothing left to FIX....

Romney MAY not be the answer to our problem, but we KNOW Obama IS the problem!

We need to solve THIS problem FIRST. GET RID OF OBAMA.

I will make you a DEAL....you vote for Romney with me NOW, and I will fight with you tooth and nail to get him to do right by us as we both believe must be done, r if not, I will then back YOUR guy in 4 years....

Face it, Olgrump, you guys gave it the best try you could. Ron Paul made some GREAT points especailly fiscally...

But I did too.

I voted for Santorum in my primary even though technically Romney had it sewn up already, to make a POINT.

Funny that in 2008 I voted FOR Romney in my primary even though MCCAIN had it already "Sewn up."

But the General Election is another story. You CANNOT effect anything EXCEPT helping Obama or Romney...your 2 or 8 or even 15% if you are WILDLY succesful will only mean not only you will LOSE, but will insure Obama will WIN.

A second Obama term will mean the END of the Republic as we know and love it....

So I am sorry if I make you uncomforatable. but by voting for anyone OTHER than Romney in November you will be voting for the END of the Country we both love!!!

You help me save the USA NOW, I will fight by your side to make it better LATER...

You DON'T help me save the USA now, there will BE no "later..."
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  9. Dead Eye

Dead Eye New Member

The same kind of trend is happening as what occurred during Hitler's rise to power; ignorance, pacifism and tolerance for people's rights being gradually chipped away. We are headed for another holocaust and this time the victims will be Christians. World-wide Christians are being murdered by the tens of thousands in many countries this very minute and nobody is speaking out. There are so many pathetic sheep in this country it makes me sick and we're going down the tube. I say bring ALL of our troops home that are spread all over the globe, close the freaking gates, hunker down and take care of our own. Keep your powder dry boys cuz we've got more enemies than friends. Everything about Oblama-Abdullah blows and so does every moron who supports him. Remember this... "Never underestimate the power of large groups of stupid people."
  10. kentuckyrifleman

kentuckyrifleman Member

Polishshooter you know a lot about military history I can tell from reading all youre posts how knowlegable you are. Did you serve in the military? I dont' remember in youre posts that you did. I did serve so if having a college degree in History makes youre opinion on politics mean more than why doesnt' my opinion on military things mean more because I served and you didnt'? See what I mean?

Your arguements would work better and convince more people if you didn't get personal. Just argue youre case on facts because when you get personal it mostly means you run out of facts and you know youre losing!

Thats how I see things but I dont' have a degree so you will just think I dont' know what I am talking about, right?
  11. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    If memory serves me.... PS was a Vietnam vet like myself.
  12. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    So profound..... and so true....:(
  13. polishshooter

KY, I try NEVER to get personal but yeah being human I slip.

Remember PLEASE though that I did not get personal until HE did and insulted ME, and I thought my reponse would make him see the error of him assuming everyone is IGNORANT if they don't agree with him.

If I offended anyone else I am sorry.

Schooling is NO different than experience...and you have to pay for BOTH.

No I was never in the military. I was supposed to be, both the Army (ROTC) and the Marines (PLC) were after me, I passed all the tests, in fact could have signed for ROTC but put them off for the Marines...would have had ALL my college paid for...

But late in my Junior year of High School I had an operation on my back and then suddenly it was don't call us we'll call you and they dropped me like a hot potato...ROTC invited me to join, and if I made it through two years they would "revisit" the scholarship when I was a junior.

I went to ONE meeting and decided I wouldn't go to war with any of those jokers if you PAID me...:cool:

Remember, this was 1976, in the middle of the Jimmy Carter cut backs, and just about EVERY other ROTC cadet was a druggie or a dope, or BOTH...

Literally. There were guys who spent the money their parents sent them to buy a winter coat that spent it on a 1/4 pound instead and joined ROTC just for the free M-65...others who joined just because the free Huey ride in the spring was "Way cool man, if you got high first...." :cool:

So no, I never served. And had to pay my own way through school, and even though we did not have a "Military History" concentration, I made it mine, took every milhistory course offered, even though my "Real"concentration was the Middle East and Modern Latin America...but my two graduate courses were the Civil War and US Military Policy.

Now my son is in the Army, probably living the life I should have!:p

But it's funny what you said, shouldn't someone who served have better knowledge than someone who didn't....

Yes and no...just having served does not NECESSARILY make someone an expert on the military in general...or military history...and historians know that especially combat verterans can be both the best and worst sources at the same time,...NOBODY can tell anyone what it was like getting shot at unless they were there, and if they WEREN'T there they probably CAN'T understand...but then again when the veteran was getting shot at, NOTHING else mattered, what was happening on the other side of the hill or battlefield...the "big picture," the strategy...NOTHING mattered except what was happening in their immediate world RIGHT now, and SURVIVING it...

But what is funny, is my "mentor," the Chairman of the Department who also had taught at the US War College strongly suggested to me that if I wanted to write about any modern military history, that I should join the guard or reserves just to get SOMETHING in my "resume..." not that I needed it, but that a lot of guys who served, just won't read or even listen to anyone who didn't, no matter how much they KNOW...:p;)

So it goes both ways...:p
  14. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

Back to the poll.......I'm wrighting in Ted Nugent...:dancingdots:
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012