Let's keep Billy Graham In our prayers

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by pipeman525, Dec 2, 2011.

1. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

I know I'm new here but I like the idea of having a religious page. Billy Graham is ill and to what degree only God knows. Let's keep him in our prayers and pray for a speedy recovery.:):D
  2. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I'll probably get beat up for this, but here goes.
    Everytime a famous person, whether they be a politiician, a movie star, a athlete or just a very rich person. People come on these forums and think we should keep them in our prayers> I ask why? Is it because they are famous?

There are people who who find out they are terminally ill everyday, there are thousands of people who die everyday from car crashes, illness etc......, there are millions around the world slowly dieing of starvation, there are millions being ruled by cruel dicatators.

Do the rich and famous deserve our prayers more than they do?

The fact of the matter is, none of us can help or pray for everyone. The people we should pray for is our families, our friends, our work acquaintances, our neighbors and yes, the people we have acquaintance with over forums like these on the internet.
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I won't beat you up, rcairflr, but I do respectfully disagree.
    We serve a god of unlimited power.
    Having millions of people uphold someone famous in prayer does not detract from the individual requests of those people for their own lesser known friends and family.
    God is capable of handling fifty million prayers for Billy Graham while not ignoring my prayer for my wife.

Heavenly Father, we come before you this morning upholding Billy Graham.
    We ask, Lord, that you would be merciful to this man who has dedicated his life to you.
    We don't know the details, but you know all things, Lord.
    We ask that you would give him a healing touch.
    We know that you always answer our requests, Lord.
    We know that you always grant healing.
    But we understand that sometimes that healing is not in this life, but in the next.
    If that is the case here with Brother Graham, we ask that you would grant him an easy passage into that life, and that you would bless his family and friends with peace, and strengthen each one to help them through this.

You are the Alpha and the Omega, Lord, and we trust you with this, as well as with all matters.

And we ask this in the name of Jesus the Christ, the Great Physician.

Amen -
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i pray for folks all round the world , my list at the moment is maybe 50% aussies , the rest not , God has no limit's so i pray regardless as God is bigger than any planet ..

As for Billy Graham

Amen ...
  5. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

Here's my point, yesterday in Bay City Tx. 4 kids and a young woman were shot by a deranged husband. No where in these forums did anyone mention to keep them in their prayers. All 4 kids are dead and the woman is in critical condition.

Yesterday there were 98 people killed on our hghways (estimate), nowherre in these forums did I see anyone requesting to keep them in their prayers.

Yesterday 3,287 people died from heart disease and cancer. Nowhere in thes threads do I see anyone requesting to keep them in their prayers.

Why? I'll tell you why, because they were not rich and famous. But if just one of those people who died would have been rich and famous, he would have been mentioned in a forum here and someone asking to pray for him.

Billy Graham is 93 years old and has lead a rich and fruitful life. There are millions, perhaps billions of people that need our prayers more than he does.
  6. bakerconch

bakerconch New Member

7. bakerconch

bakerconch New Member

I'll be willing to wager that if you would post a request on this forum for those mentioned above, that you will see a lot of prayer responses.
    And thinking back I can remember a lot of prayer requests here that were for ordanary everyday people.
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

folks request prayers for regular folks here often and it dont have to be announced for folks to pray

i see your point but it dont sit well with me personally ,

if these issues are a worry for you , do raise them , i'm happy to share a prayer with you for any soul , but unless raised how do folks know ?

the Op posted about Mr Graham , who means much to many as he has brought many to the Lord , he may not be my favourite preacher for a few reasons , but aint we all flawed? and should my thoughts on him limit or prevent me for praying for him ?? no matter how rich or poor anyone is?? i think not ..

its actually quit petty when i think about it

but i'm weird , i prayed for the Khmer rouge and folks i meet in the street

i was walking through a village almost 10 years ago and just stopped and prayed for all the people there , dec 23 rd it was 2 days before Christmas 2001 ..

but if i offend you by doing so , i'm sorry , but it wont change me

but again if these events trouble you ( and they do me , the top story you spoke of sounds tragic) raise them ask for others to join you as we know when any group of us prays the Lord will hear us and i note it says no limits between people in that group so i expect God to honour His Word ..

you may not have seen my prayers for all the forum members , thats ok i was standing outside under the stars when i did , and do nearly every night before heading in , its ok i dont need witness's , I've got God's ear , he'll do the rest

cheers
  9. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

We should pray for each other daily......regardless of if we know them or not, whether they are rich and famous or not.

Billy Graham is a very great man....a NC man no less :D

An interesting read......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Graham
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

spot on ...
  11. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

I am truly amazed and impressed. I did not expect to wake up this morning and see such a response. This forum is a breath of fresh air for me compared to some of the others I subscribe to.
    It seems, to some, my request seemed out of place due to Rev. Grahams fame and percieved wealth. I just think that if and when God calls him home we will lose a great man who has inspired so many. I know he is an inspiration to me and I can only hope to be half the man he is.

Thanks to all of you for praying with me for him, and I look forward to praying with you daily now even though we live in different places.
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Pipeman , happy to pray with anyone for anyone .. and many here that way too , Welcome aboard !
  13. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Ditto what Jack said, Pipeman.
    Prayer requests bring prayer; I have never asked if the recipient was "deserving".

Understand this forum has over 40,000 members.
    If you say it is cold in Fairbanks Alaska in February, SOMEONE will disagree.
    As long as it is done respectfully, as this one was, it is OK -
  14. herohog

herohog New Member

To the best of my knowledge, Mr Graham is a good man who lived what he preached which is WAY more than can be said for most of his ilk! I will pray that he suffers little and that Gods will be done as I would for any person. It will be a loss to the world when Mr Graham goes, of that I am sure.
  15. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

I agree with you as I have kept Rev. Graham in my prayers since his hospitalization. Heaven will be a better place with him, our world will be worse without him.
    :)