Let's Parkerize Something!

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Powderhorn, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

After building a few guns, with varying results, I've come to the conclusion that Parkerizing is the only way to go. No matter what finish you do afterwards, a good sandblasting and parking will enhance and prolong the life of your weapon. So I started reading about it, and I bought the AGI dvd and watched that a couple times.

I decided that I wanted to do a few more guns than just a couple AK kits, so I would need a fairly decent tank. More importantly, I would need a heat source. I decided to make my own heat source, and after much waffling about, and a couple Pepsi-colas, I cobbled-together my own pipe burner, with stand to match my tank.

[​IMG]

Made from simple angle iron, and black iron pipe. I drilled holes evenly-spaced in a 60-degree angle all up and down the pipe, and drilled 1/4" holes in the end cap for carburation. A small ball valve adjusts the gas flow.

[​IMG]

An $8 low-pressure regulator on a 40# bottle provides the fuel.

[​IMG]

Here it is all lit up. Surprisingly, a nudge of the ball valve here and there will adjust the flame quite nicely.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the tank I bought from some dude selling them on ebay for $99. It was more than I wanted to spend, but its a far cry for what everyone else was charging, so I happily shelled out the greenbacks for it. I'll have to admit that I am somewhat dissapointed in the quality of work on the upper corners. Notice how they turn down? Looks like he made a couple of bad bends and the sides were too high, and he hammered the corners down and welded them in. Oh well, it holds liquid and does not leak, and was cheap. Aesthetics aside, I feel happy I have it.

[​IMG]

This is the setup I put on the side. All in stainless, the large thermometer is a boiler thermometer I bought at a yard sale for only a dollar a few years ago. It has been serving duty on my smoker, but I decided to clean it up and try it here. I decided that I did not like it there, and since these pics were taken, I have removed it and installed an elbow. The ball valve you see here has a barbed fitting attached to make draining the tank really easy.

[​IMG]

I can't remember why I decided to go with the Lauer solution, but I suspect it was price. I'm not a cheap-ass, but hey it was a lot cheaper than the Brownell's.

[​IMG]

I mixed the solution according to their directions in this nice nalgene container. I have a few of them that I picked up wicked cheap at an auction. Handy for stuff like this, and mixing antifreeze, and whatever.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a thermometer I use a lot when I make a knife or have to harden something, it provides an accurate temp for the quenching bath. I ditched the boiler thermometer because in the location I had it, it was reading 10 degrees lower than this one.

[​IMG]

FLAME ON!

[​IMG]

After the solution got to the desired temperature, I had to throttle it down a bit. Surprisingly, the temp held steady once I was able to do this. It stayed between 175-180 degrees the whole time.

[​IMG]

A real necessity or urban myth? Lauer directions called for tossing in a pad of coarse steel wool to "condition" it, but the AGI video said it wasnt necessary with their managese solution. I decided that the best course of action was to blindly follow directions. Hey I ain't no ekspurt ya kno! :lol: Anyway, you can see that after 15 minutes, the steel wool was pretty much parkerized!

[​IMG]

Here is my barrel and receiver assembly stewing away nicely. I washed it in the dishwasher while the old lady was out shopping and blasted it with 120 grit AO set at 80psi.

[​IMG]

And here is the fruit of my labor. This is one of the "Rusty Romys" we all scrambled to buy last year. I was lucky to get a few. It is nice to see new life breathed into it. I like this gun. Its got a Magpul MOE attached to a Vltor M4 stock adaptor. The grip is a CAA, and the handguard is a Choate (which I think is infinitely better than Crapco). The flashhider is a Krebs, and I planned on getting the Krebs peep sight, but the car decided to throw a fit, and cash needed to be diverted from my gun-fun stash to the get-to-work-and-keep-money-coming-in account.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading. I know I probably left something out. If anyone can think of it, then hollah! :smile:
  2. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

I'm SO jealous!!! Looks awesome!
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Nice rig and the AK turned out real nice too!
  4. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    You mean you'd rather it was Parkerized than say something like this[​IMG] TJ
  5. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

powerderhorn im impressed. you're a right handy fellow. very nice looking ak you turned out
  6. jpmccr

jpmccr Member

Can I send you my SKS for rework???? :D

I would love to have someone take all the metal parts off and do a job like that to them. They are starting to show just a tad bit of rust no matter how hard I try to clean them oiled and clean . . . .

I am like the other . . . . really, really jealous . . . . :eek:
  7. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Wow... Thanks for the report AND the beautiful photography.

Good job, I thoroughly enjoyed the read.

Crpdeth
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Thats a nice setup. It nicer than some of the commercial boilers out there. How did you make your endcap/carb. Looks like you had a reducer there but in other pictures it looks like you taped a flat endcap with threads for 1/2in pipe and drilled 1/4 in holes around it.
  9. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

Ah yes necessity the mother of invention. Very nice job and thanks for showing.
  10. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Wow! That is an awesome set up, and very nice work on the ak. I am very impressed. Thanks for sharing!