lets see your sights

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Goneracin, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Goneracin

Goneracin New Member

Im looking to possible improve the sights on my 1911 Springfield GI. I was thinikng of a red fiberoptic front and a plain black rear. anyone have pictures of this type of setup? if not, let me see your custom sights, im still not 100% sure
  2. NonPCnraRN

NonPCnraRN New Member

I have a SA Milspec and was thinking of using a Novak fiberoptic front sight and a Novak rear sight that has a round groove instead of a square notch. I am also considering a night sight front sight and wondering which would be more useful, it or the fiberoptic front sight under most shooting situations since this gun will be used for protection both inside and outside the home. With the advent of low wattage fluorescent lighting, the house is never totally dark unless there is a power outage. Like Goneracin, I too am interested in the experience of other 1911 owners.
  3. Goneracin

Goneracin New Member

thats almost exactly my thought. my pistol is a carry pistol that sees some range fun from time to time. a huge adjustable sight isnt exactly ideal for a carry pistol, but i would like a little better visability for a quick draw situation. thats why im thinking the black rear and front fiberoptic.
  4. techoca

techoca New Member

Goneracin,
    these are the sights I put on my Springfield GI.

I prefer Novak night sights on my carry guns(all 1911s of course).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  5. techoca

techoca New Member

Low profile Novak night sights on my primary carry gun.

Attached Files:

6. techoca

techoca New Member

Novak night sights on Springfield.

I have since replaced the ambi safety with an Ed Brown safety. I don't like ambi safeties as I'm not a lefty.

Attached Files:

7. techoca

techoca New Member

Novak night sights on Sig Sauer GSR.

Attached Files:

8. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

EGW FO front with Kensight adjustable Novak rear. I can upload some closeups if needed with current setup. (I changed both of them but they are still FO front, plain rear)

[​IMG]
  9. techoca

techoca New Member

Slabsides,

I would love to see them close up.

Good looking gun; is this the one you just recently built?
  10. Goneracin

Goneracin New Member

^^^ me too ^^^ that looks a lot like what i want
  11. DCOhio

DCOhio New Member

I just bought a Springfield TRP Stainless with the fixed ( Novak) trijicon night sights, but I would like to install the trijicon adjustable low profile sight that comes on the blue model with the acc. rail. I see Springfield has a fairly high custom shop fee to do this seemingly simple job and I'm wondering if anyone has bought this site, or a similar one , and replaced the fixed site. I think the trijicon night sights are VERY nice and would like to stay with the same sight that Springfield uses if I could find it elsewhere.
    The front blades look the same on the fixed and the low profile adjustable?
    D.
  12. NonPCnraRN

NonPCnraRN New Member

Do the adjustable sight and fixed use the same cut in the slide? Or does the adjustable sight need more metal removed? Unless I am missing something, if the cuts are the same you should be able to drift the old one out and drift the new one into place.
  13. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

DCOhio These the ones you are thinking about. Its not my actual gun but is the factory pic that is what I have.

Attached Files:

14. techoca

techoca New Member

The adjustable sight on the TRP will not fit a Novak cut on the TRP with Novaks, however Springfield sells an adjustable sight that fits the Novak cut for $49.99. We put one on FlatheadGreg's at Christmas; looks good and works great.
  15. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A question.. The little pivot pin that is on the front of the rear sight keeps coming loose. I take a light plastic hammer and knock it back in place. Is there an easy fix to this problem without sending it back to Springfield?

Attached Files: