lets see your sights

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Goneracin, Jan 25, 2010.

1. techoca

techoca New Member

TGC,
    can you peen the pin without hindering it's function?
  2. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

techoca, I don't know. I'm kinda afraid of messing it up. I was thinking of taking the pin out and trying a bit of Blue Lok-tite. I know that it is supposed to be a swivel point but it is already sighted in so it wouldnt have to move up or down. For now I just keep an eye on it and push it back in if it is coming out.
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

I have replaced a few of those pins on Gold Cups as they have a habit of shooting loose. I have used new roll pins and even a correct diameter brass rod. Loc-tite will work but only apply to one end. (The last end to go in.)
  4. TheGunClinger

That sounds like a good and easy fix. I will try it. Thanks Shooter45!
    PS.. I'm still hoping that you will still share your "Poor mans trigger job" in spite of those who have different opinions. I value yours.
  5. NonPCnraRN

NonPCnraRN New Member

I believe I am guilty of the post that turned him off to providing the info. I stated that I had only heard of a poor mans trigger job by Jeff Quinn in relation to single action revolvers. I hadn't heard of one for the 1911 and would welcome any info, it just came out wrong when I typed it and I wound up inserting my foot in my mouth. Again I apologize for leaving the impression that there was no need for his information.
  6. TheGunClinger

Stuff happens. I wouldnt worry about it. Sometimes it is hard to get across what your brain is thinking the way you are thinking and then type it. I think.:D
  7. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

Even if you're not a natural lefty, you could become one if someone disables your right hand in a fight. IMO, ambi safeties are just another form of insurance.

John
  8. techoca

techoca New Member

John,

that may very well happen; I can tell you for sure an ambi safety will bite your right index finger when you rack the slide. Not to mention the fact that they can fall apart during use.

I hate 'em.:D But that's the beauty of 1911s; they are personal guns.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  9. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

Techoca,

Just grabbed my Kimber to see what you were talking about. I agree, it is possible to ding your finger on the safety but I don't grip the slide that way.

I guess somewhere along the line I was taught to keep my finger tips on the cocking serrations and it naturally keeps them out of harms way.

However now that you put that idea in my head, I'll probably screw up the next time I'm at the range and put a crease in my index finger. :D