Let's talk about home defense 12-ga loads again

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by 1952Sniper, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

Do any of you boys load Rock Salt ouch?
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

Dimes

*Disclaimer* This was written for humor only, never load dimes in your shotshells...It will most likely buldge the barrel or worse. :D

Fish hooks?

Crpdeth
  3. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

.......simply ring the shell-----

LTS
  4. Crpdeth

ROTF

Wonder how many here have done that...Or even heard of it for that matter. :p

Turn birdshot into a slug with yer EDC...Dont think I'd use it in my good shotties!

Crpdeth
  5. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

dad said that's how they killed hogs when he was youngster. I'd forgot about ringing shotgun shells.
  6. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

OK,Can you Texas boys tell me what is EDC?
  7. Crpdeth

Nuh uh

:D
  8. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

Crpdeth,EDC you posted it.What does Nuh uh stand for ain't in my Yankee Dictionary??
  9. Enzo_Guy

Enzo_Guy New Member

Best idea I've heard for a 5-shot 12-gauge is have the first shot be rubber buckshot, this idea is good because the laws tend to be less strict on the homeowner if he hit the intruder with non-lethal ammo. The laws are also less strict if you hi him with non-lethal first but instead he keeps coming, so then #8 or above is good. The other three should be slugs so in case there were a firefight (the intruder having his owwn gun) and he ran, a slug is a good way to make that running criminal know that you mean business.
  10. billt

billt Former Guest

You make a very valid point, and suggest a very good idea. On the opposite end of things I would add that a homeowner should stay away from these "specialty rounds" like flechettes, and the like simply because they really aren't proven in self defense situations and because an over zealous prosecutor could have a field day in court if you used them instead of conventional ammunition. In using firearms in self defense one must remember there are 2 "battlefields". One in the home at the presence of an intruder, the other in the courtroom settling the aftermath. It's wise to be prepared to win in both venues. Bill T.
  11. Crpdeth

Nuh uh = Naw!

Alright, Alright...EDC = Every Day Carry...In this instance meaning a knife.

Crpdeth
  12. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

You shoot to shop a threat when it goes that far, to do otherwise is to cheapen your life and your families!!!!!!

Rubber bullets....SHAME ON YOU!!

LTS
  13. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

First off, "rubber buckshot" and "non-lethal munitions" ARE potentially lethal in close quarters. Any lawyer can easily argue, correctly too, that you were using deadly force. If your "non-lethal" shotshell turns out to be lethal what are you going to say? OOPS I didn't think it would do that!!?? One jury will decide how long you will serve for second degree murder, another will decide how much you owe his family dollar-wise. Any explanation you offer the jury will make you look worse. Also if you don't kill them, you can count on at a minimum some pretty nasty trauma and very likely maiming for life...especially if fired in tight quarters. When the prosecution is running the slideshow of giant welps, bruises and disfigured facial features to the civil suit jury you can go ahead and accept paying that s.o.b. the rest of your life. It will get turned around on you 10 different ways so just some advice from a guy who has used the non-lethal munitions in a few places...leave it for riot control where it belongs and use OC pepper spray if you insist on using non-lethal force first.

Second, if the threat is running away when you shoot him...the jury has every right to decide he was no longer a threat and your deadly force at that point was no longer justified. It may not matter what happened up until they ran. Once they flee then you are no longer in danger of loss of your life. The wording of the law in your local area and state may make what you described second degree murder and by law the jury could have little or no choice in naming you guilty.
  14. rick's red dawg

rick's red dawg New Member

i have seen a man shot with a 12 gauge at about 8 feet with a load of #6s and it was not in the chest but the right front pocket of his levis no it did not body slam him but he did hit the ground with a broken leg and a femorial [spelling] artery that was blown to pieces and if it wouldnt have been for the belt we tied around his leg he would have been dead our home defense guns are 12 gauge with what ever game load i bought usually 71/2s and a 22 magnum with hollow points and one mean black mouth cur dog
  15. flopshot

flopshot New Member

home defense, in my five round tube.
    #6 heavy, #4 heavy, two # 1 buckshot, and one slug.
    in the short barell side by side that's kept handy, #4 heavy game 2 3/4"