Let's talk about home defense 12-ga loads again

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by 1952Sniper, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

Yepper,EDC Now I know.I was thinking it was something like poring hot wax into bird shot,and creating a slug I did that works good,but "J-B Weld" is much better I've shot Deer with it in desperate times past.PS, Nuh uh=Naw I went to look up Naw for meaning but cant find it?
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

You have GOT to be yanking my chain....:D

Learn something new every day...Very interesting.

Crpdeth
  3. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

Crpdeth,Naw not me!
  4. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Don`t bother with JB Weld..........just pick up those wet duck shells in the bottom of the boat, thats a for sure steel slug. Watched someone shoot these all day and never hit a duck......for the life of me I could not figure out what I was seeing when he fired that shotgun, looked like a GIANT BB sailing towards a duck.................LMAO

Good story, maybe I`ll tell it............
    ......that and the, "I never fired a shot, but filled my daily limit"

Both stories will have you in tears............

LTS
  5. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

That's a shot that went over my head I don't see the correlation.Must just be me?
  6. Enzo_Guy

Enzo_Guy New Member

Have you considered the Remington #4x6 turkey load? I've learned recently that this is the round used the special forces urban assault units, most notably Delta Force.
  7. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

It don't take a much lead or power to kill a man.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
  8. Enzo_Guy

Enzo_Guy New Member

True, but the 4x6 is a mixture of #4 and #6 shot rolled into a single shell, capable of large amounts of damage I hear. It has the power of #4 with a larger spread of #6, sounds nice enough to me!
  9. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

Mixed shot size I like it and will try it out,just might be a good running rabbit load also.
  10. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Well I needed an excuse for missing ducks. "Yep these shells been in the bottom of the boat almost all season." :D
  11. rick's red dawg

rick's red dawg New Member

lots of folks use the 4x6 loads on turkey but i am pretty sure a man wouldnt know the difference between them and just plain ole 4s or 6s
  12. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

13. Enzo_Guy

Enzo_Guy New Member

Something I read not long ago was about penetration. We talk about these larger loads, but in reality some of them would go clean through the walls. At the typical home-engagment distance (less than 15 feet) birdshot is the best to use. There isn't quite enough room for it to spread so it makes quite a big hole in whoever, but it has the least wall penetration of any shotgun rounds (save for rock salt and rubber).
  14. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Duplex shotgun loads are hardly anything new, and while some of the most remembered were used in the pacific theater...buckshot with smaller filler shot in the voids, and I guess it worked on paper. You don`t know what you`ve been shot with until you look, so down you go. I imagine as far back a s black powder duplex loads have been in use in private and some are even loaded today and mass produced. Of all designs of firearms, the shotgun remains the king of delivery systems.

LTS
  15. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Saw a good article on the "old wet steel" load situation where the author DID hit the ducks and was puzzled by the 1.5" hole straight through them....

JB Weld? Seems to me that would work, but 1 oz slugs are pretty cheap too...

Back in the ol' Turkey Shoot days, it was common to lick the targets to check for molassass.....