lets talk about shipping or sea containers

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by dbcooper, Oct 9, 2012.

1. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

lets share ideas about how to best set them up, above and below ground

I would like to see what others have done to insulate, improve ventilation and the like
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

My old boss used to put window units and whirly birds on them. He even made a side door for it. He was trying to sell them as hunting camps. If I was going to try to insulate it, I think I would weld some kind of brackets on the wall so that I could spray foam the walls and cieling and then use those brackets to mount plywood.
  3. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

The problem with welding on them is
    burning off the paint, inside and out.
  4. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Pier and beam foundation works well.
    Railroad ties on a thick gravel bed [with sand base]
    works well.
    A concrete slab works well.
    Convection vents, 2" pvc pipe, one[or two] on each end,
    at opposite heights. One end, near the floor, the other end
    near the ceiling.
    Any venting, etc., I suggest to be done on the sides, as opposed to
    in the roof.......it is much easier to keep from leaking.
  5. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Insulation, depending on how 'finished' you need the interior
    to be.....
    Spray foam if you have the capability, but uneven and kinda ugly
    if not covered.
    Frame the inside walls and ceiling with 2x2's and use rigid insulation
    panels between the studs.
    Lay the container on it's side and spray foam the underneath [PITA]
    or you can insulate from below if you choose pier and beam.
    You can pack the underneath with fiberglass insulation before you
    set it on a concrete slab, but suggest you plug the holes for the forks
    and silicone around the bottom edge to keep critters from tearing
    up the insulation over time.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

folks i can see no-ones actually buried shipping containers

here a run down from this side first hand

1st... 2 conatiners welded together side by side with a door manifactured between the two

after heavy rains the containers that where 18 feet down started to float and lifted 4 and a half feet at one end

2nd... a single container buried was crushed when the soil became wet and caved in the sides and popped the seam on the top

back to double containers ( 3rd attempt )

4th .... 3foot of gravel and a sump pump in a 44 gal drum made into a giant filter

18 foot of soil over but train line and 3/8" sheets steel over the train line as a re-enforcement and anti crush cage and its ok

but took 4 attempts to get it right
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  7. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

a guy I know took 2 - 8 ft diameter diesel tanks and welded them together at the ends.
    he let them air out for 30 days and then buried them under only 3 ft of soil.
    they floated to the top the first rain before they had anything done to them.

he had to go back to the drawing board also

I don't think I would bury mine even if I could, I had read what has happened to people hold up in bunkers.

If I have to fight it out, I'll take my chances at ground level I guess

I think I can mega-insulate one part of it to store shelf stable food and supplies because those things do get hotter than to mice screwing in a wool sock

then have another end for emergency shelter.
  8. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

All over the south, from MO down [at least],
    in days gone by.......
    EVERYBODY that did not live in 'town',
    had a root cellar.
    Never saw a single one 'float up' .
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

no but i bet a lot got wet

root cellars dont act like boats in water

cellars get flooded and generally aint buried as deep as shipping containers
  10. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

????? :confused:
    Should I have said 'cache'....?
  11. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

one that I say here. guy had one delivered to the back of his farm. insulated the outside of it with foam board ( white 2" plus some blue rmax ).. then covered it with a coule layers of visquine and silicone sealer on the seems. .. then made an earth mound over it in a natural loking location. IE.. he made a terraced hill.. looked good.. was sound protection.. and had a secret door ont he other side as an escape hatch using some concrete drain pipe!
  12. FreeSovereign

FreeSovereign New Member

I would think if you put one in, in the fashion of a walk out basement, you should be fine as far as water infiltration goes. Side loads from the weight of the soil could be problematic.

We have been contemplating putting one in for a storm shelter and storage area, so at least partial bury is a must. A concrete cellar was going to cost $14,000 so that got taken off of the table.
  13. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I've been wanting one for years, I hope to get one someday. I would just put one inside of a building like a shop/garage and concrete the sucker in place as best I could and store my gun safes and ammo in there. That way there'd be at least 3 locks to defeat to get my 'gats'.

We used sea/land containers for guard positions during the OIF invasion, sandbagged the tops and front sides; slept inside, guard up top. Pretty scary sleeping inside, the roofs were bowed from the weight of sandbags! none collapsed but it sure gave us a scare.
  14. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

Having dealt a great deal with these I can offer a bit of advice here. First they are quite strong and you can bury any of the once with ribs without issue. As for buying one if you plan on using it in cold weather or underground I highly suggest you buy a ex refer unit. The refer ones will run you about the same price sans the refer itself ( refer is the refrigeration unit that is installed in the from of the container ) so you do loose about 2 foot of space but they are very well insulated between the walls and if buried the walls will not sweat and if used outside as my camp in Md was a very small wood stove will heat the whole 40 foot container and keep it plenty warm all night with 2 med logs. If the walls of the container are fiberglass or non ribbed then it is a RAIL container and NOT suitable for putting underground. They do not have the strength. Sea containers are made to be able to handle being stacked 30 plus high loaded on top of each other the rail containers are made to be stacked 3 high at the MOST..
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

tell that to the idiots who had a dope growing setup in one transfreight sea freight container have numbers so you can check ?

took 3 days to dig what was left of em out the walls are not meant to hold back wet soil either the welds or sheet will tear before then , and i've seen that myself

stated so from the manufacturer of the container at the inquest..

or is that wrong too ?
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012