Letter from my Senator on UN Small Arms Treaty

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by jedwil, May 31, 2012.

1. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member

Dear Mr. Willson:

Thank you for contacting me regarding a proposed treaty on international arms trade. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

In October 2009, the Obama Administration announced that it would reverse current U.S. policy by supporting the launch of United Nations (UN) talks on the formation of a treaty to regulate international arms sales. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has stated that U.S. support of these talks is predicated on the negotiations operating under the rules of consensus decision-making, which afford each nation veto authority. I share your concerns regarding the implications of such a treaty.

The negotiating forum for these talks, the UN Conference on the Arms Trade Treaty, seeks to propose a legally binding treaty to increase regulation of, and set international standards for, the import, export, and transfer of conventional weapons. At this time, there is no draft text of this treaty. It is my understanding that preparatory meetings were held in New York in July, and a conference to negotiate the treaty text is not expected to be held before mid-2012. Furthermore, it is important to note that, should a U.S. President choose to sign the resulting treaty text in the future, it would subsequently require ratification by two-thirds of the U.S. Senate in order to enter into force.

Therefore, I have joined with several of my colleagues in signing a letter to President Barack Obama and Secretary Clinton that highlights the Senate’s constitutional advice and consent role over treaties and details our key concerns. This letter states that any treaty that seeks to regulate the domestic manufacture, assembly, possession, transfer, or purchase of firearms, ammunition, and related items is unacceptable. It is essential to safeguard the law-abiding citizens’ constitutional right to own and use firearms designed for legitimate purposes such as hunting, target shooting, collecting, and self-protection. Restricting this right runs counter to the intent of our Founding Fathers, who expressly guaranteed in the Second Amendment that citizens would retain the right to keep and bear arms.

The United States must carefully evaluate actions taken by international organizations to determine whether they are consistent with our national interests. As Americans, we take pride in our nation and its hard-fought independence, and you may be certain that I will vigorously oppose any legislation or action that infringes upon that sovereignty.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will continue working with my colleagues to protect our sovereignty and defend our Second Amendment rights. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,
    JOHN CORNYN
    United States Senator
  2. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

+1 for Sen. Cornyn and to you for writing him.
  3. bmrtoyo

bmrtoyo New Member

everyone needs to write and push this issue against the UN, UN is a joke
  4. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

Good man, That Texas Senator Cornyn.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

there is more thana draft text theres a whole world of rules , i'll dig it up for you all
  6. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I hope he was being honest with you. Being a Texas senator, he probably was. But....
  7. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

Huh?
  8. Poppypaul

Poppypaul Member

This is a really critical issue with great danger for our rights under the 2nd amendment. The current issue of The American Rifleman has on page # 12 a one page piece on this written by EVP Wayne LaPierre. All of us should contact our US Representatives and voice our strong opposition to our President's intentions.
  9. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I agree and im in the middle of drafting a letter to my representatives.
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

This is the UN's document store for the session which included the draft resolutions for North America

http://unbisnet.un.org:8080/ipac20/...limit=&ultype=&uloper==&ullimit=&sort=3100054

if the link asks for a login

its jack404 with a password of 424cdcd

but it should take you to a list of all that session doc's

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  11. TimeTraveler

TimeTraveler New Member

An FYI.

http://www.sweetliberty.org/issues/s...s/treaties.htm

Article VI of the Constitution is VERY clear on this.
    Quote:
    This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any state to the Contrary notwithstanding.

Quote:
    HERE ARE THE CLEAR IRREFUTABLE FACTS: The U.S. Supreme Court has made it very clear that

1) Treaties do not override the U.S. Constitution.
    2) Treaties cannot amend the Constitution. And last,

3) A treaty can be nullified by a statute passed by the U.S. Congress (or by a sovereign State or States if Congress refuses to do so), when the State deems a treaty the performance of a treaty is self-destructive. The law of self-preservation overrules the law of obligation in others. When you've read this thoroughly, hopefully, you will never again sit quietly by when someone -- anyone -- claims that treaties supercede the Constitution. Help to dispell this myth. "This [Supreme] Court has regularly and uniformly recognized the supremacy of the Constitution over a treaty." - Reid v. Covert, October 1956, 354 U.S. 1, at pg 17
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

ya think they be listening to what the rules are or working to get around em ??
  13. TimeTraveler

TimeTraveler New Member

They will only get away with anything that, "We The People", will let them get away with.
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

exactly and you've let them remove congress outta most equations via EO ...
  15. TimeTraveler

TimeTraveler New Member

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." ( Edmund Burke)
  16. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    Since when does our current President concern himself with such trivial details as Constitutional requirements for treaty ratification? He'll just implement it under Executive Order under some false pretense.
  17. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member

That's my fear. And the other 2 branches will let it happen.
  18. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

19. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

should see what they be doing in indonesia , the non muslim islands only though ..
  20. kermit

kermit New Member

everything i needed to know about muslems/islam i learned on september 11,2001... nothing has changed my opinion about them/it......... 21 years defending US Constitution while in military.