Letter froma local fugitive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pabooger, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

Tuesday, Sept. 28, 2004
    Fugitive sends second letter to The Era
    By MARCIE SCHELLHAMMER/Era Reporter
    A fugitive on the lam from federal agents for one month wrote a second letter to The Era in one week, this time quoting historical figures ranging from Benjamin Franklin to Adolph Hitler on civil liberties and gun control.

The letter, signed by Michael John Hancock, was postmarked Sept. 25 in Pittsburgh and was received Monday at The Era.

The letter begins, "Apparently, the ATF wants to make an example of me. To be quite honest, I hope they do just that indeed and that it's far beyond any expectation they could hold. Whatever be the price of revealing the government state of affairs before its people, in hope of reformation, I pay it gladly."

The signature on this letter appears to be the same as the one on the previous letter, which was postmarked Sept. 18 in Pittsburgh and received by The Era on Sept. 21.

The more recent letter has a circled area next to the signature with the words "my thumbprint" and an arrow pointing to the seemingly empty space inside the circle.

Neither envelope had a return address.

Hancock, 27, of 7 Cornelius Drive, Bradford, has been on the run from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives since Aug. 27, when he failed to show up for a court appearance in Erie. A jury in federal court found him guilty of possessing an unregistered firearm silencer that had been purchased over the Internet from a firearms dealer in Argentina.

In the first letter, Hancock wrote that he would continue to correspond with The Era "as long as you continue to print my words."

This three-page, handwritten letter -- printed in all capital letters in what appears to be a black marker, the same as the first letter -- focuses on gun control, civil liberties and dissatisfaction with the government.

"I have no desire to discuss my personal situation any further than to say through no wrongful actions of my own was I indicted to face conviction of a lengthy federal prison sentence," Hancock wrote. He is facing 10 years in federal prison for the conviction on the unregistered silencer.

"This is no longer about me. This is about what is happening to America. Far beyond is this that has grown into something greater than anything I could be, so let there be no mistake.

"This is a simple matter of what is nothing more than irrelevant and unsubstantial control legislation," he wrote. "This is the governmentally endorsed no-no that tells us we as Americans are quite simply disallowed to live our lives in the way we see fit.

"This is the law that blatantly suggests to us that we cannot or should not be trusted by our own government. This is what our forefathers had warned us about," Hancock wrote.

From there, he quotes Adolf Hitler's view on gun control and registration.

""This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient and the world will follow our lead to the future." -- Adolph Hitler, Nazi Germany, 1935," the letter reads.

"The world has indeed followed and even improved upon this premise with refinements of its own to achieve a new level of governmental control. It is a shame that our great nation allowed the adoption of such doctrine," Hancock wrote.

He goes on to quote the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

"Therefore, it is not only our right, but our very responsibility to ensure the integrity of our nation from such tyranny. This is what our government was supposed to maintain always as our Constitution supersedes all, for the people and of the people."

A quote from Benjamin Franklin follows along with comments on the U.S. after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.

""They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin," he wrote. "In the wake of 9/11/01, we are told to sacrifice our civil liberties to ensure our own safety. We have all become terrorist suspects in what amounts to glorified intrusion policy in the form of the Patriot Act.

"It was Abraham Lincoln that once said, "Those who would deprive others freedom deserve it not for themselves." The Founding Fathers of this country would most certainly agree as it's the concept that our nation was founded upon. I tell you that the remainder of my life will be dedicated to truth and freedom as were theirs," Hancock wrote.

"Shay's Rebellion, a sometimes violent uprising of those farmers displeased with their conditions in early Massachusetts during the year of 1786, compelled Thomas Jefferson to express his view that "a little rebellion now and then is a good thing." He obviously felt that the people had the right and obligation to present their dissatisfaction before the government, even if those actions are violently expressed," wrote Hancock.

"I propose the same against all that would seek to disrupt our freedom. I will not be caged in a cell for a corrupt government's control crime and I must expect the same from any true American," he wrote. "I look forward to the day when I become something and someone more in this fight for America's freedom and I urge everyone to rightfully re-establish the foundations of our system by any means necessary. We must all assume our roles in this war.

"Live free or die," he wrote, ending the letter.

The first letter The Era from Hancock ended in the same manner. In that letter, Hancock wrote that he was "sick of running" and felt the search was more about the "damaged ego of federal agents, who for weeks have failed to locate this small town kid."

The search for Hancock is entering its fifth week. Hancock is believed to be either traveling with his father, John Charles Hancock, 50, a former Bradford City Police officer, or receiving help from him. Agents from the ATF and U.S. Marshals, in cooperation with local law enforcement agencies, have been combing the county searching for the men.

Flyers with photographs of both men are posted throughout the area in businesses, and the Marshals are offering a $2,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of Michael Hancock.

Authorities have repeatedly said Hancock should be considered armed and dangerous -- dangerous because he has a felony conviction, is facing 10 years in prison, is believed to be in possession of a weapon, has emotional issues regarding the verdict at trial and has already shown that he will evade police -- as he is currently accused of doing.

There is a federal arrest warrant for Michael Hancock, but not for his father. Authorities are seeking information from John Hancock.

More News:
  2. shooter4

shooter4 New Member

I think that I support what he is doing (except for the illegal/silencer thing).

Our Government is taking away more and more of what our Constitution was INTENDED to keep them from taking away from us.

I wish him luck in his quest and I support him.

No, I'm not some weirdo, I just think that we have lost too many of our Constitutional Rights already, Bike helmets, seatbelts, roadblocks, kids can't take guns to school for hunting afterwards or school sponsered shooting, etc., .........................................................................................................

:mad: :mad: :( :(

Maybe a revolt is not that far away. I hope they change their way (which they will not, but I hope so).
  3. ken w.

ken w. Member

He should have know better than to order it thru the mail.I'm not sure if I should feel sorry for him of tell him he made his bed - now lie in it.There was a guy in Meadville,Pa that was building himself a machine gun and the feds shut him down too.There's just some things you don't do.Blatenly break the firearms law is one of them.What did these guys expect-a pat on the back ? :rolleyes: I agree that our goverment is way to radical in the gun law department,but it's the law and as lawful people it's our duty to uphold the law even tho we don't agree with it. :(
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

So you'll be first in line to turn in your guns when the time comes.... huh ??

mike
    gn
  5. njretcop

njretcop New Member

Oh, give me a break!

This is just another convicted lawbreaker whose illegal actions are responsible for the problems of millions of legimate gun owners.

Guys like him give fodder to the anti's to use against us........ and they do.

If he's trying to make a statement as he says, then let him turn himself in to authorites and fight in a court of law. As it is now, he is just endangering the lives of innocent people as a fugitive on the run.

We are a nation of laws! While to be sure, no one agrees with all the laws, it is not our choice to pick and choose which ones we will obey! Bad laws must be changed by people at the polls. A lot of the very people who complain the loudest, never vote anyway.
  6. ken w.

ken w. Member

I agree with njretcop that the this is just the stuff that the Kerry's and clintons and shummers feed on.And as far as turning in my guns,I think there will be quite the revolt over something like this.
    Have you ever stood behind a booth at a fair or outdoor/gun show and try to promote pro gun groups and have a petition signed by the public to send to our polititions ? In New York,I've never seen so many "sportsmen" tell me where to go as they enjoy the show,not thinking about the people and what they have done for them so they can enjoy comming to an event that would have been banned without us.
    I'm not going to turn in my guns,but I've filled out enough yellow NICS sheets and have posted enough on these forums to know that if the time comes,they will be knocking on my door well before I'll ever have to turn anything in.
    I really feel that there are way too many lame sportsmen that take their rights for granted.I belive PA has one of the most sportsmen in the country.How many are NRA members or members of anything ? Just think about how much stronger we would all be if all sportsmen were members of a pro gun / hunting group ?
    What makes this guy with the silencer anymore above the law than we are anyway.He did something really stupid and is now on the run.He made his whole situation worse than it already was.And I think he wouldn't of got any jail time because you can own "suppressors" in other states and all he would have gotten is a stiff fine and the loss of his right to own guns.Now he's most likely going to prison as an example to everyone else.And he will definatly loose his right to legaly own a firearm again.Was it worth it. :confused:
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  7. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

Yo Charlie, pose he duz tern hisself in an they throw him into a deep dark slammer an muzzle him? then wot? dont say it couldnt happen. An I dont C too much rong with a silencer. they use them to hunt with in some countries. I gotta say freedom isnt free, but YO we got 2 much gubment on our a$$e$ now. 38? states wit rite to carry, 38 states wit LOWER crime rates. Charley YOUR rite to carry nationwide was a BIG first step. Xcept yur (bro) fron Kansas or SD or Orgon prally cant carry in NJ?? I could mebbe stand to B corrected on that 1. Jus remember 1 dam thing, IB NEVER rong, only misinformed at times :cool:
  8. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

I happen to agree with Mr. Hancock, and wish him well. We Americans put up with tyranny in our lame attempts to be "law abiding" citizens. Like it or not, our government wiil one day declare us all criminals just for owning firearms. That is what governments do: create more criminals to increase their powers.
  9. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

You live in Ny State,next to California by far the worse anti gun state in the nation, and you have the audacity to bitch about the sportsman in Pa not being pro gun, what have you been smokin???
    Now thats funny!!!! :D :D :D :D
  10. ken w.

ken w. Member

I'm not by any means complaining about Pa sportsmen.I was just useing it as an example as to the number of sportsmen in Pa.New York has quite a few and not very many are members of any pro-gun/hunting group.
    I know this by the mailing lists I recieve from the sports shows that I am a vendor at.I think Pa has the most sportsmen and the most involved of the states that I travel to.I didn't mean to offend anyone in Pa.
    Can you imagine tho if all the sportsmen and women worked together and went on a letter writing campain to our goverment? I think things would change.Or a march on Washington.I only wish it could happen.
  11. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

Ken: I tried to do a search to see what States had the most Nra Memberships, and also thought maybe they would have it broken down to see how many members were actually hunters! I could not find out a whole lot of info as yet!

Most people in this area are Hunters, and most that I know do belong to the Nra!

On a side note, in a State like Pa, where almost every homeowner has a gun, and where we are not yet as restricted on our gun laws as some States, perhaps it easier for us to feel comfortable and less threatened by anti gunners than people in States that are already suffering under heavy gun law restrictions! In essence it is easy not to worry about a threat if the threat is not very prevalent in our area!!!

Im sure in Buffalo and all big cities if you leave your keys in the car, you might worry that the car will not be there in the morning! Not so here, car theft is not a real big issue here in the boon docks!!! As with guns, guns are a everyday part of life in this area and most house holds have many, and yes most are for hunting!

Im not saying that the threat of losing our guns is not there, it's just that they are somuch a part of our everyday life that I suppose we tend to overlook the threat just a little more than some who are not quite so lucky!!!
  12. ken w.

ken w. Member

If you ask the NRA how many people in a certain state are members they will give you this info,not names,just a number. ;)
  13. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Well I'll be damd, I did'nt know that was how we got the Brittish out !!??? :eek:

Huh....you learn something new everyday...... :mad:

mike
    gn
  14. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

Those guys who dumped all that tea in the bay, sure had a strange way of voting!!!! :p :D
  15. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

The winning of rights always comes by breaking the law. Our founding fathers had to do it, and many died for it. MLK did it, and he was killed as well. There are thousands of examples out there. It's a dangerous thing to draw a line in the sand and stand up for your rights. Ask Randy Weaver. Or the Branch Davidians.