LeveRevolution Powder????

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Rogeritall, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Rogeritall

Rogeritall Member

Hello all... My wife has a Marlin lever action (tube feed) in .44 Mag that she just loves, she's taken a Deer a year with for the last three years now. She really likes that Hornady LeveRevolution ammunition, but is not fond of the extra cost.

I said (maybe mistakenly) that I could get the Hornady FTX bullets and load her a comparable cartridge... I now have the bullets but after some research it's sounding like the Hornady LeveRevolution factory load may be a "Duplex" load. I don't know if this is true or not, it's internet only information so far.

Hornady sells (I've seen it in Cabela's catalog, but not local) a powder called LeveRevolution, but I find it hard to believe that this could be any type of "Duplex" powder simply because of separation/homogenization problems they would have shipping it in a bulk canister, and other safety and liability issues.

Have any of you had experience with Hornady LeveRevolution powder, and if so is it worth it? It is a bit pricey, and if I have to order it online it will cost even more of course.

Or... what powder would you recommend for a 225 grain flexing ballistic tip bullet shot from a .44 Mag out of a rifle with a 20" barrel???? I can work up revolver type loads all day for it, but I wondered if anyone has a pet load for a rifle in .44.

If not thanks anyway... but I'm just trying to get the most out of her rifle for her with my hand loads. :)
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

From Hodgdon's web site.

Hodgdon® Powder Company and Hornady® Manufacturing have teamed together to answer the frequently asked reloading question; "Can I buy the powder used in Hornady LEVERevolution factory ammunition?" Yes, this is the same spherical propellant used in Hornady's innovative and award winning high performance factory ammunition. This fabulous propellant meters flawlessly and makes lever action cartridges like the 30-30 Winchester yield velocities in excess of 100 fps over any published handloads, with even greater gains over factory ammunition. Other cartridges include the 35 Remington, 308 Marlin Express, 338 Marlin Express and the 25-35 Winchester. The list of cartridges and bullets is limited with this highly specialized powder, but where it works, it really works!

I haven't seen ant data for it in the 44 Mag though.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  3. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 New Member

You won't be able to use the Leverevolution powder in the .44 mag as it's not designed for that cartridge. I would look at stout powder charges of 296 (H110), 4227, or 2400 with that bullet. I think you will be pleased by the results.
  4. Rogeritall

Rogeritall Member

Yeah, that makes sense... I should have noticed (I feel dumb) that they have the LeveRevolution powder listed under "Rifle" powders in the Cabela's catalog. I knew I couldn't seem to find a bit of information about loading it in a .44 Mag, even though they sell a .44 Mag as a LeveRevolution cartridge, and my wife shoots it out of a rifle.

Thanks for the suggestions on powders...
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012