LG RIFLE VS MAG PRIMERS IN 6.5 REM MAG

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by accident, Aug 9, 2012.

1. accident

accident Active Member Supporting Member

A freind of mine got me started in reloading 3 or so years ago.I hadn't purchased primers at the time and he didn't have any LG rifle mag primers so we used his Rem lg rifle primers.After quite a bit of trial and error with various powders and charges,various bullets and bullet weights,I eventually came up with the proper "recipe" that my gun likes.(6.5 rem belted mag).However,all the reloads I have are loaded with lg rifle Rem primers,not mag primers.The Lyman 49th states they used Lg rifle mag primers.My friend at the time told me this was OK.My loads work very good and I have onhand about 300 reloads ready to go all w/out mag primers.I would like to keep using the components and recipe that my current reloads use unless there is something I should know that I don't. any thoughts would be appreciated.If needed my reloads are:6.5 Rem Mag- 49 gr. of IMR 4350-Speer "hot cor"s. S.P.-Lg. rifle Rem. primers.Do you think my next loading should be with lg rifle MAG primers? THANKS Joe
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Use what work for you. Load data is only a guide not a recipe.
  3. accident

THANKS Steve.Thats kind of what I thought.I just wanted to be sure theres no disadvantage or problem with not using "mag" primers.This way I don't need yet another primer for loading.Appreciate the response: Joe
  4. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 New Member

It's conceivable you could run into trouble with some hard to ignite powders, but as a general rule you can interchange them either way. Just start at around 10% under your book maximum and carefully work up, watching for pressure signs.

I really like the Federal primers, both in standard and magnum. Normally group sizes are half that in other primers with the same load. The CCI BR2's are pretty good too.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Same here joe. I only stock mag primers and load them in everything i reload for. As long as the loads are developed properly its irrelevant what type of primer is used. I prefer mags simply because it makes more sense for me to stock 4 types, rather than 8..
  6. accident

Thanks guy's. I appreciate the help. Joe
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Steve's got ya covered.
    IMR4350 isn't all that hard of a powder to ignite so you should be fine with regular primers.
    The 6.5RemMag has about the same case volume as the .30-06 so it's not like you're trying to light off a full-size magnum case full of powder either. In that case too, standard should be fine.

And as 410 mentioned some powders are harder to ignite (typically spherical powders) too. For those powders I do prefer to use magnum primers but I've used regular primers with them before too.
  8. accident

Understood. Again thanks....Joe