LGS says better stock up!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ryan42, Feb 23, 2012.

1. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I was in the local gun shop today buying supplies and he said primers and powders gonna be hard to get this summer.He said the manufactures are working on a huge military contract and its gonna be hard to get certain primers and powders this summer.He said hes stocking up now so his customers will be okay but theres a big demand right now.I just thought I would pass it along.I bought 1000 rounds 45acp casings,primers,bullets so Ill be good for awhile.
  2. jim brady

jim brady Active Member

Ryan - I don't doubt your post, but I do doubt your local gun shop. With the war in Iraq over for us, and Obozo yanking the rug out from under the military in Afghanistan, I seriously doubt that the Defence Department is going to order any huge stock of ammo anytime soon. Obozo does'nt care about our allies, so I doubt it would be for them, either.

Sorry, but it sounds more like a sales pitch to me. But if are so inclinded, shop away! (Does'nt harm anything to have a big stash of supplies anyway)
  3. Gahunter12

Gahunter12 Member

My LGS told me there would be another increase in price on powder and primers this summer. I noticed he had cases and cases of powders and primers setting around besides what's on the shelf. He's planning on stocking up on enough to last the year. He said he hopes it comes back down after the election.
  4. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Ah, but you forget about Obama's campaign promise that he will set up a Presidential security force as Large and as equally funded as the US Military to serve and protect within the US borders.. A modern day Gestapo and Brown Shirts if you will.
    Don't believe, do the Google.

OK I'll help. A quote form one of his campaign speeches.

5. medalguy

medalguy Member

Keep in mind we're winding down two wars overseas and bringing troops home, plus ATK which operates the government owned Lake City Ammunition Plant makes its own primers at the LC plant. They don't go out and buy commercial primers from anyone else. Matter of fact, they make everything in the LC plant, from primers to brass to bullets. They do buy the powder outside but everything else is made in-plant, so no impact on commercial availability in any event. I think your dealer is wanting to sell some of the stockpiled components he has on the floor. ;)
  6. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

You all could very well be right,Remember this is not me thinking it up,I was simply passing on what I was told.I Just thought in case he his being honest you all would want to know.Take it for what its worth.I dont know who makes what or where and dont claim to know it all I just wanted to help.Im going to have my supplies none the less.Hope I could help.
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Stocking up is always wise. I never get under 10,000 primers. I have 12,000 right now. Same with bullets and .22'. It does not matter to, me if there is a high demand or a low demand. Buying in bulk is always wise.
  8. 76Highboy

Also, good job Ryan.
  9. jim brady

jim brady Active Member

We used to call that a "Heads Up!" - Thanks for sharing that info, Ryan. Great advice from 76Highboy - stocking up is always wise. My stock is shamefully low of components.

As far as .22s, seems like a couple thousand ought do do it, but if you bought another toy (Colt .22 M4) like I did, it's surprising to find that this quantity isn't as much as you thought it was..... Maybe if it was a bolt action it would have been enough.
  10. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

This brings a good point to surface. Lets all ask ourselves what is coming this year??? The election, now what better way for retailers to pump us in the rear with another political scare marketing push! Everyone needs to calm down on the rumormill with prices and IF there is no frantic hording about the country we all will continue to be able to find plentiful amounts of stuff to reload and shoot. Lets not have another go around like last time its already too damn expensive!
  11. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

thanks jim,thats all I was doing was passing on the heads up,I bought another 100 bullets today and I know what im doing tommorrow,loading away.
  12. 76Highboy

What did you buy and what are you loading? Are you going wimpy, mild, hot, or "KICK ASS"? I usually go between wimpy and mild, but sometimes 'KICK ASS".:)
  13. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

The spending party ends if we don't continue our warmongering overseas. Iran is the next target. Those in control have to continue raping the American taxpayer for all they're worth.

A huge military order for ammo is totally plausible.
  14. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

You all remember 5-6 years back (maybe more) when everything went up due to metals price increases I think they claimed. I figure it's about time for it all to repeat again with election on everybody's mind.

Remember just a couple years back when the store shelves were empty too.

If big "O" gets in for another 4, he will tax ammo supplies to no end; and where will it stop?

I got my powder & primers supply right a year back when the shelves were again full.
    Every payday, order another dozen boxes of those TSX, GMX, and those dang expensive Nosler Partitions. Set my goal at 500-1000 for .277,.284,.308,and .338 in various weights which should cover all my hunting guns; and leave my grandkids scratching their heads long after I'm gone. But, at least they won't want for ammo when the caribou show up and for moose season; and that makes me feel secure in some strange way.
  15. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

I'm good on primers and bullets for a few years I just need to order some powder.
  16. sbw9056

sbw9056 New Member

Here is the email I received from Bud's Gun Shop on this matter:

"After spending the first six weeks of 2012 attending various firearms industry shows, including the NSSF Shot Show in Las Vegas with the highest dealer attendance of record, there was one obvious recurring theme from every manufacturer we visited with...."we just can't make enough firearms". Although we fully expected another surge later in 2012, it has already started as the ATF continues to report all time record highs in background/NICS checks as well as Conceal Carry/CCW permit applications.

We are also experiencing record high sales on www.budsgunshop.com, actually breaking our all time single day sales records TWICE this month ! Considering we had no special promotions going on, and we exceeded every sales record dating all the way back to 2003, it seems pretty clear ......"Here we go again !"

As the national media and general public become increasingly aware of the deteriorating supply and demand issues.....we ALL know what comes next....higher prices ! Although upsetting to most people, it can also be an amazing opportunity for those who are in a position to buy "early and often". Whether you are an investor, collector, or reseller...you would be hard pressed to find a single more lucrative investment than firearms at this time. If you are not currently in a position to buy ?....you should still be very happy about the future appreciation in value of your current firearms collection !

To many customers, and even those outside the firearms industry, it would appear that gun dealers like us are primed and ready to take advantage of situations like this. Although there is admittedly opportunity during these times, it is nearly impossible for us to predict and adequately prepare for the sudden and extreme increases that can occur with nationwide internet sales. You do not have huge increases in sales without also having huge increases in phone calls, emails, shipping, etc.....so it can very quickly become overwhelming.
    If you find yourself waiting on hold, or waiting on a reply to an email, please reference our active customer counter on the top right corner of our website. If you are attempting to contact us during a high volume time (over 2,500 customers online) you may want to wait until the volume decreases and try again later. For example, as we are sending you this email, the number of customers currently shopping on www.budsgunshop.com is over 3,000 !"
  17. jim brady

jim brady Active Member

Graehaven - are you 'tokin'' Bro? What is this 'War Mongering'? The only target I've heard speak of was the one Iran has painted on Isreal. As far as the Jihadists are concerned, My Man, the U.S. and Isreal are BOTH in the same boat in their eyes. We are equals - they would gleefully kill us as quickley as they would Isreal.

It's a free country (thanks to our "Warmongering") so I respect your right to your opinions. Like the old poster from the French Revolution, where a ragged old man is quoted as saying "I disagree with what you say, but I'll fight to the death to defend your right to say it".
  18. 76Highboy

+1.
  19. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

Gentlemen,

We currently spend over a $Trillion a year on military spending.

The military machine is OUT OF CONTROL. Period.

We cannot continue to spend at that level. It's ridiculous. We have HUNDREDS of bases around the world. We are being the "world's police force" and we cannot afford it.

I'm not tokin. That's the plain truth of it.
  20. 76Highboy

Graehaven, I understand what you are saying. I don't want to police the world either. Also, I do not support the "tokin" statement and I give you due respect.

My whole thing is that the only reason Iran has not taken Isreal or the U.S. out is because they haven't been able to thus far. However, once they have the ability to there will be no "Policing the world about it". The fight will be on regardless of us being the world police or not. Also, once that happens, I believe we will find that the allies we believe we have will suddenly turn against us. I do agrre that the war machine is out of control as far as spending goes, however it is just a small piece of the pie when you look at the money wasted in this country. It does make me sick to think about it.

The one comment that I hope we can all agree on is that we all support our second amendment right and be ready because it's like you said Graehaven, the money spending is out of control. One day the responsibility to financially defend ourselves just may fall upon us, the second amendment supporters.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012