Liberal media bias?

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by ckill1, Jan 20, 2010.

1. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

I have a favor to ask gents(& ladies)...I have a very liberal coworker wh happens to be busting my balls today. I am at work, have a couple busy patients & don't have time to do the research I need to do to refute this guy. Can anyone here post a couple examples of liberal media bias, especially as it pertains to CNN or MSNBC? I know they are (liberally biased) but am unable to prove it to this guy & he's killing me over what he calls FoxNews' conservative bias. I told him ALL mainstream media was & he should get over it, but he wants proof. if anyone could help me out, I'd very much appreciate it. Eating a quick lunch now, should be able to sneak back to a computer in a few hours. thanks in advance...

Chris
  2. lockednloaded45

lockednloaded45 New Member

Here's one article that covers several diff points ) enjoy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 22, 2008
    Advertising
    Seeking More Viewers, MSNBC Turns Left
    By BRIAN STELTER
    WITH the promotion of Rachel Maddow, the Air America radio host, to a prime-time television spot this week, the longtime third-place cable news network MSNBC cemented its identity as a channel for a liberal audience.

But is that what advertisers want it to be?

MSNBC, which is owned by NBC Universal, a unit of General Electric, does not trumpet its shift. But in the 12 years that MSNBC has competed head-to-head with CNN and the Fox News Channel, the partisan lines have never been drawn so neatly.

Advertisers are keeping a close eye on the 24-hour news networks, especially given the heightened interest in the presidential election and the resulting ratings boost for cable news. So far, they say the partisanship of the programming matters less than the ratings the shows can generate.

Fox News and MSNBC earn about two-thirds of their advertising revenues in prime time (although the two networks define the time period differently, with Fox citing 6 p.m. to midnight and MSNBC citing 7 p.m. to 2 a.m.) and any increase in the ratings measured by Nielsen Media Research can translate to higher advertising rates.

That seems to be the impetus for MSNBC’s decision, announced Tuesday, to remove Dan Abrams, the legal analyst who hosts the 9 p.m. hour, and replace him beginning Sept. 8 with Ms. Maddow, who has emerged this year as a popular political commentator.

“We’re not looking for political bent, we’re looking for eyeballs within our target audience,” said Peter Knobloch, the president of the media communications agency RJ Palmer. “That usually doesn’t skew Democratic and Republican; that’s more age, sex and lifestyle.”

There are three distinct options for cable news viewers in prime time: Fox News, which is largely associated with the conservative hosts Bill O’Reilly and Sean Hannity; MSNBC, which is dominated by the Bush administration critic Keith Olbermann; and CNN, which continues to cast itself as a network for independent-minded news consumers.

CNN is positioning itself as the objective option for viewers. A graphic for its 8 p.m. program promises “no bias, no bull,” alluding to Mr. Olbermann and Mr. O’Reilly on the other channels. Greg D’Alba, chief operating officer for CNN Advertising Sales, said he pitches the reach of CNN’s platforms rather than the opinions, or lack thereof, on the programs.

There is increasing evidence that programming with a loud point of view attracts viewers. The ratings for MSNBC’s signature show, Mr. Olbermann’s “Countdown,” have nearly doubled since August of 2006, when the host started delivering “special comments” criticizing Bush. He now regularly attracts one million viewers every evening, far below Mr. O’Reilly’s average of 2.25 million but far above MSNBC’s previous ratings for the time slot.

And in 2007, for the first time, Fox News raised more advertising revenue than the combination of CNN and the sister network Headline News, according to the research firm SNL Kagan. It estimates that Fox earned $460 million in advertising last year, while CNN and Headline News netted $434 million and MSNBC earned $137 million.

Roger Domal, a vice president and the national sales director for Fox News, a unit of News Corporation, said in an interview Thursday that MSNBC had struggled to gain traction for its previous programs in the time slot. “This is going to be tough for them,” he said.

Mr. Domal said he viewed the partisan nature of cable news as a programming issue rather than an advertising one. “Partisanship doesn’t scare advertisers. What scares advertisers is lower viewership,” he said.

The news networks have had no trouble signing up sponsors for their coverage of the primaries and conventions. CNN, owned by Time Warner, said its sponsors included AT&T, Cisco Systems, Exxon Mobil, Hyundai, AARP, and Sharp Electronics. MSNBC said that, compared to its election coverage in 2004, it had raised five times the revenue from advertiser sponsorships this year. And Fox News, whose political convention sponsors include CSX, Norfolk Southern and Nationwide Insurance, said its advertising inventory during the two events had sold out.

Smaller advertisers with a target audience of a certain political persuasion — activist groups, for example — are already benefiting from the partisan divide on cable news. For example, subscriptions to the liberal opinion journal The Nation spiked after it advertised on MSNBC. Ben Wyskida, the publicity director for The Nation, said the content on “Countdown” dovetails nicely with the topics of the magazine. He noted that the magazine’s writers occasionally appeared on the program, putting faces to the name of the publication for potential readers.

“Our advertising budget for TV is generally pretty shoestring,” Mr. Wyskida said. With “Countdown,” he said, “We get a pretty good bang for our buck.”

MSNBC hopes that more of Mr. Olbermann’s viewers between the ages of 25 and 54 — 334,000 on an average night in July — will stay tuned at 9 for the “The Rachel Maddow Show.” (The New York Times and NBC News, the parent of MSNBC, have a content-sharing arrangement for political coverage.)

In July more than half of Mr. Olbermann’s viewers in that demographic tuned out during Mr. Abrams’s show. By contrast, the 9 p.m. program on Fox News, “Hannity & Colmes,” is able to hold onto four-fifths of the 444,000 25- to 54-year-old viewers of the 8 p.m. “The O’Reilly Factor.” Talking to Mr. Olbermann on “Countdown” Tuesday, Ms. Maddow acknowledged the importance of the lead-in.

“I will be talking politics, and trying to convince ‘Countdown’ viewers to hang out with me after they hang out with you,” she said.

Fox News, although viewed by many liberals as a bastion of conservative influence, has carefully avoided labeling itself as anything but “fair and balanced.” The network features Alan Colmes, a liberal, on “Hannity & Colmes,” and Greta Van Susteren, who rarely espouses political views, at 10 p.m.

But for years, some liberals have bemoaned what they perceive to be an imbalance on cable news: an absence of prominent progressives on TV. “Happy Now?” Mr. Olbermann asked in a blog post on Daily Kos, a liberal Web site, as he informally announced Mr. Maddow’s promotion on Tuesday. He wrote that the fans who had been lobbying for Ms. Maddow to host a show “had something to do with it.”

Asked whether MSNBC will acknowledge that its prime-time programming tilts to the left, the network spokesman, Jeremy Gaines, responded: “Don’t make a judgment about the show until you see it. Our goal is to have programs with the smartest takes on the day’s developments, and that’s what Rachel brings to the table.”
  3. lockednloaded45

lockednloaded45 New Member

And who could forget all the "mainstream medias " ignoring the Acorn scandle??
    Blogs Home » News » Politics » Toby Harnden
    Toby Harnden
    Toby Harnden is the Daily Telegraph's US Editor, based in Washington DC. More about Toby. Contact toby.harnden@telegraph-usa.com. ACORN story fells the big oaks of mainstream media

By Toby Harnden World Last updated: September 18th, 2009

50 Comments

If there’s one story that’s had it all in the past week it’s the series of undercover reporting stings that have uncovered the true nature of ACORN – the Association of Community Organisations for Reform Now. It’s got sex, misuse of taxpayer funds, the condoning of illegal activity by officials and connections to Barack Obama.

You would be forgiven for having missed it, however, because it’s got almost no play in the mainstream media. It wasn’t the “New York Times”, CNN or NBC who broke the story. Rather, it was two twenty-something independents with a few thousand dollars, a bit of time and a lot of guts.

The story first appeared on Andrew Breitbart’s BigGovernment.com and was then enthusiastically pushed by the Drudge Report and Fox News. Oh, so that makes it just a piece of scurrilous, racist “gotcha” journalism does it? Listen to the disdain of Charlie Gibson, the ABC anchor, here and his ignorance of a blockbuster story.

Don’t believe me? Well have a listen to this well-known member of the vast Right-wing conspiracy (not) Jon Stewart, who mocks the smug complacency of liberals and the torpor of the mainstream media by calling it how it is here.
  4. questor

questor Member

5. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

From the news busters web site:

http://homepage.mac.com/mkoldys/blog/ilc285709320.html

During Tuesday night's coverage of the Massachusetts special election, CNN and MSNBC aired only a fraction of the Republican candidate's speech. Fox News Channel aired both candidates' speeches in their entirety.

When Martha Coakley (D) took the podium to concede the election, all three channels aired most or all of the eight-minute speech. However, Republican Scott Brown's address was cut short on CNN after just seven minutes. On MSNBC Keith Olbermann cut Brown's mic and instead attacked the Republican candidate, talked about "teabaggers", and ran commercials. CNN only ran 26% of Brown's speech, while MSNBC aired 37%. Fox News Channel carried 100% of both speeches:

Attached Files:

6. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Heck, the Tea Party movement is an example. No major networks except Fox (and they're cable) covered the movement for its sheer magnitude and breadth. Now, Scott Brown is elected in a surprise upset of a Democrat moron in MA in large part due to the Conservative Tea Party Express backing. Do you think the media underreported the movement's effect? Dang right! :mad:

Here's a more direct example done by the PEW Media Research Center during the 2008 elections.

From http://www.journalism.org/node/13436
  7. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

Why bother to refute ? If he is a true Libtard then proof will not matter
    to him and you are just playing his game in the arguing. I worked
    in the health care industry for 30 years and would just advise my lib
    coworkers to not spout any political talk towards me or that they would
    hear from HR for a harassment charge. It worked and since the
    majority of the power structure (the docs) were conservatives, it
    was effective.:D
  8. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Agreed.
    You'll never change a liberals mind.
    Diffuse the moment by not engaging in it.

That'll really get em worked up.:D
  9. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Oh, but I have a hobby that's probably not very healthy. ;) I'm a numbers guy and memorize statistics pertinent to my way of thinking. I also save data all the time relevant to different subjects. When the liberals start their tirade I rip them a new rear orifice with an avalanche of data. It's rather fun... :D
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  10. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Bingo. You can't change the mind of an Obamite, they're too busy obeying the will of the collective.
  11. red14

red14 Active Member

First of all, liberals think they are smarter than conservatives. They will never listen to conservatives. They only way they will change their mind is, if someone (liberal) tells them too.
  12. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

Just repeatly remind your friend that the media doesn't make a big play when the liberals"LOSE ONE" laugh and walk away.:D:eek::confused::D
  13. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Interisting topic -

Yesterday, the New York Times carried shocked articles about the upset in the MA special senate race.

Today, they are all into the spin on it; They claim the Tea Party movement operated 'under the radar', and the liberals ignored the race because they thought they had it sewn up.

Has anyone EVER seen ANY tea party action done in SECRET???? Although the operations are truly ignored by most media, they are always right out in the public eye for anyone interested to see!

And the Liberals IGNORED the race in MA?
    Who the heck was that guy that showed up there campaigning for Coakley? He sure bore a striking resemblance to one Barak Husein Obama (May his name be accursed).
    Gee, I wonder who would have shown up to support her if they had NOT ignored the race? Perhaps a trifecta of the Pope, Queen of England and President of the United Nations.

Three elections since The Enlightened One took office, and all three went against the Dem's!

Hey, Washington!
    Are you GETTING IT YET???
  14. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

Thank you all! Just what I was looking for...

Chris
  15. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Isn't Barry already trying to become that trifecta?:D