life of primer / rimfire brass

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, May 30, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i know many of us shoot milsurp.. etc.. and know that a good sealed tin of loaded ammo can be good for 70-80ys..and usually is berdan if that old too.. :)

how about nowadays stuff.. liek the boxer primers we buy. how long can we expect them to last on the shelf. i keep mine in ziplock bags..e tc.

and as an extension of that. rimfire rounds what is their life expectance if kept in reasonable conditions?

thanks
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

kept cool and dry theyll outlive you.

I bought a bunch of reloading equipment that had some rem kleenbore primers from the sixties. They all shot fine.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i've put some into those seal able plastic boxes then put jewelers wax on them
    they'll be good for 100 years or more i guess
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i have this odd habbit of ziplocking all my stuff. my dies get cleaned and lubed, back in their plastic box, then slipped into a ziplock. my 1# powder jugs, after use, get slipped into bags. all my brass is sorted and bagged.. primers bagged.. etc. bullets bagged.. etc..

not sure if I'm going overboard.. but figure it can't hurt.. might keep corrosion off.. or if an errant florida storm comes thru and beats in a roof/wall/window, maybee the stuff will survive better..

just about all of my loaded ammo.. commercial or milsurp is containerized as well. some of the milsurp is already tinned or in battle packs.. and the commercial stuff either gets bagged and then boxed , or is kept in sealed ammo cans with a lil sugar packet sized dessicant pack tossed in.

again.. might be overboard.. but... makes me sleep better.. :)
    Last edited: May 31, 2012