light .44 special load

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by chubcobear, Feb 1, 2009.

1. chubcobear

chubcobear New Member

How much bullseye (Hercules) for a light .44 special practice load under a Berry.44 180 grain lead cast bullet? I'm shooting an older Charter .44 special.
    Thanks. Tom Bear
  2. RandyP

RandyP Member

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  3. bobkreeger

bobkreeger New Member

Try trail boss, works great in this caliber!:eek:
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I second the trailboss recommendation.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because this is the way I think, but I didn't read that as, "What's a good powder for use with this bullet in this caliber?". I read it as, "I have this powder, and wish to use it for this bullet in this caliber. What is a good load?"

I remember going to some military website once, and asking for a load for the Garand, using AA 2460. I got several replies telling me loads for IMR4895. Frustrating. I don't care about loads for 4895. I ain't got 4895. I've got 2460. Finally wrote Accurate. Their ballistician gave me some loads that are fine with the Garand.

Tom, that is what I recommend you do. I've checked the Alliant website (Alliant bought Hercules, in case you didn't know) and I've checked the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. I can't find what you want in either place. I suggest you email Alliant, and ask them.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I agree with Alpo on contacting Alliant. But, while you are waiting for an answer, here is a page out of the Hornady #7 manual that give info on a 180 grain load. I don't know how large this will come out on the screen, but the second load down is for bullseye.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013