1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

light .44 special load

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by chubcobear, Feb 1, 2009.

1. chubcobear

chubcobear New Member

How much bullseye (Hercules) for a light .44 special practice load under a Berry.44 180 grain lead cast bullet? I'm shooting an older Charter .44 special.
    Thanks. Tom Bear
  2. RandyP

RandyP Member

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  3. bobkreeger

bobkreeger New Member

Try trail boss, works great in this caliber!:eek:
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I second the trailboss recommendation.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because this is the way I think, but I didn't read that as, "What's a good powder for use with this bullet in this caliber?". I read it as, "I have this powder, and wish to use it for this bullet in this caliber. What is a good load?"

I remember going to some military website once, and asking for a load for the Garand, using AA 2460. I got several replies telling me loads for IMR4895. Frustrating. I don't care about loads for 4895. I ain't got 4895. I've got 2460. Finally wrote Accurate. Their ballistician gave me some loads that are fine with the Garand.

Tom, that is what I recommend you do. I've checked the Alliant website (Alliant bought Hercules, in case you didn't know) and I've checked the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. I can't find what you want in either place. I suggest you email Alliant, and ask them.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I agree with Alpo on contacting Alliant. But, while you are waiting for an answer, here is a page out of the Hornady #7 manual that give info on a 180 grain load. I don't know how large this will come out on the screen, but the second load down is for bullseye.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013