Light Bulbs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thomas44, Mar 6, 2009.

1. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

Yeah, I know...you're thinking "thomas, that's a stupid topic for a thread". Well, not really ! You see, the geniuses in D.C., in an attempt to save the American people from the evil incandescent light bulb, have apparently made these wicked devices illegal as part of the 2008 Energy Bill. I thought to myself "okay, I'll start stocking up and be okay for a couple years before I have to switch over to the CFLs". But walking through my local Wal-Mart the other day, I swung by the light bulb aisle and dang if the shelf that used to contain the store-brand incandescents wasn't completely empty ! I haven't checked other stores, but it might be something to start keeping an eye on and stock up on these while you have the chance. I'm so glad Washington is saving us from ourselves !
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Not a stupid topic at all. At least not to me. Thanks for the heads up. Going to have to check around to see if I can find some.
    I do NOT like these new "half bright" bulbs. :mad:
  3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

It's ironic seeing this post right now. I was just at the store tonight and bought a few incandescents to begin my stockpiling. My plan is to basically stock up enough to last the rest of my life. i have made this suggestion to others as well. A couple cases in a two diffferent wattages ought to do it for me.

Besides the poorer light quality they are a health and environmental hazard. The legislation mandating them was simply idiotic... and all for greater efficiency? As if light bulbs consume that much energy. I wonder why the environmentalists aren't raising hell about this?
  4. lb969

lb969 New Member

I've embraced the new CFLs. They're nice, last a ton longer than regular bulbs, don't generate half the heat, use 1/3 the energy.

And if they aren't bright enough, get a higher wattage.

How is it an enviromental hazard?

Or even a health one? Every modern office building and some homes use tubular fluorescent lights. They're cheaper and more efficient than incandescent.

Consider this: A 100 watt equivelant CFL bulb uses anywhere between 23 and 30 watts if its energy star compliant. That's a 70 watt reduction needed for equivalent candlepower.

Something to chew on. There are 110 million households in the US. If every household were to replace one 60 watt incandecent with a CFL, you could power 1.5 million homes for a year! The savings on energy production reduces greenhouse emissions by 1.3 million cars not being driven!

Enough energy to shut down 2 coal burning power plants.

Imagine a 30KW (30,000 watts) wind turbine. Whereas it could only power 300 of the 100W incandescent bulbs, it can power 1000 of the 30 watt CFL bulbs, and produce the same amount of light.

How many sockets does your house have? Go count them. I bet you'll be astonished how many there really are.

A $3 CFL pays for itself in about half a year. After 6 months you've saved more than 3 dollars on your electric bill. But the bulb should last for at least 5 years.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Statistics can be deceiving. Correct me if I'm wrong but your calculation of the energy savings with the replacement of a single CFR in every household with the net result of powering 1.5 million American homes for a year is questionable. Are you sure you don't mean it could provide energy for 1.5 million homes with that same single CFR for a year?

You also stated "And if they aren't bright enough, get a higher wattage." But were your figures not based on the wattage CFR which supposedly replaces an incandescent with equivalent candle power? If you used a higher wattage bulb have you not lost some of your energy gain?

Finally this:

http://www.uis.edu/facilityservices/fluorescent_bulbs.htm

Hazards

Bright, cool-burning fluorescent lamps are commonly used in both industry and offices. Chances are, you have them now. However, fluorescent tubes contain mercury and lead, which are hazardous materials. When you remove old fluorescent lamps, there are specific rules about how to handle and dispose of them, because they are double trouble:They pose a serious environmental hazard the mercury can leach out of landfills and poison both the soil and drinking water.They are also a health hazard workers can be exposed to dangerous mercury fumes and lead powder whenever fluorescent lights are broken. Mercury exposure poses many serious health risks, including permanent nerve and kidney damage.
  6. 94z07

94z07 New Member

There's a lot of steps for cleaning up a broken CFL for something that is not supposed to be a hazzard.

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/products/lighting/cfls/downloads/CFL_Cleanup_and_Disposal.pdf

7. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

The old bulbs are getting harder to find. I know of one guy went out and bought 100 of the 100 watt ones saying that should last him a few years.

I dont really see the point, but like his style. Anyway, aren't there a new generation of LED bulbs around the corner?
  8. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

This is something I didn't want to see. The CFLs are not the greatest in my opinion, but not a dang one of them is made in the United States. They are mostly made in China. I am willing to bet that Americans will not go out of their way to send CFLs to a recycling center and will toss them in their garbage. The mercury content in CFL bulbs is astonishing, the sea kittens are already full of mercury so we'll surely all go mad.

If I can't get my incandescents stocked up, I will either go without or buy LEDs, which are being made brighter already. This issue makes me angry.
  9. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

And I thought that if I bought enough ear candles I would be just Fine. :D
  10. Craiglylesa1

Craiglylesa1 New Member

i have 2 fixture in my house that i cant use them in. the glass piece is too shallow for 'em, so looks like i have to replace them.i m not worried about the clean up hazzard, im just sick of being told that something i have used my whole life is outlawed, because the new model is more efficeient or better? which usually it isnt and WHATS NEXT? looks like no more GM but enjoy your honda, toyota , what ever. Maybe it is me..............................used to be easy to filter the bull, remember the hole in the ozone? the killer bees swarming us all by 2000, y2K? Im tired of this alarmist , reactionary weakness. it aint us, and it aint me..
  11. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

You can get LED bulbs right now, but they're not really a good replacement for normal light bulbs. Better for directional lights like reading lamps. I'm sure they'll get better and better.
  12. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

rofl 358.... too funny! You'll be a hit at parties, for sure! :)
  13. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

HMMmmm I wonder if that will mean that if a character in a cartoon gets an idea that a flourescent bulb will be displayed over the characters head?
  14. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I am currently living in an apartment, but I do not plan to be here too long, which brings up an interesting thought.

Well, first of all I don't mind the new bulbs... I work in the glaring sun most days and just like it dark and cool in here, so the added dimness is not a bother. But what happens when I move out... The new bulbs are expensive, so I'm sure not leaving them here, especially when I bought a 5 year bulb and it's only a year old, and so on. I am sure all the other renters will feel the same...

Wonder what the apartment managers will do when they can't clean and paint or even show a unit without replacing all the bulbs.

Crpdeth
  15. Actually, on this issue I have to side with the use of the newer florescent CFL lights. We've pretty much converted to their use around our house, not because of any desire to go "green" or be more politically correct, but because they are so much more efficient and last so much longer. I got tired of replacing incandescent bulbs in certain places around our house every few weeks. :rolleyes: I must say, however, that it ticks me off the government seems to be mandating them. Just one more example of our paternalistic liberal friends in Washington. :mad:
  16. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

We've switched all of ours over as well Pistol. It also had nothing to do with being PC. I'm just a cheapskate when it comes to power bills. I've found that the 60 Watt bulb (Envision type from Home Depot) lasts a long time and is very reliable. They also have no on-delay like the crappy GEs. You can use 60W versions (actually 19W) in most any application. I've found that the 100 Watt Envisions go bad quickly when you put them in a multi-bulb fixture. I think it has something to do with their ballast and transients going back onto the line that get multiplied when you add more bulbs to the same circuit. (Not sure though...) The 100 W (actually 23W) are fine for any application by themselves.

The ones I REALLY like are the 150W (actually ~60W real power usage). I've put those in our outside lights around the house. They come on more slowly when it's cold outside but when they warm up they're like a little sun.
  17. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Here is a question... Regular Fluorescent lighting promotes bacterial growth. There are versions that are built not to do that but are much more expensive. I wonder if these new mini CFL lights are like the cheap Fluorescent lights or are they different?

It would be just like our government to push something unhealthy on us.... :mad:

mike
    gn
  18. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Mike, the CFLs can be purchased in many different light colors/heats. The softest version looks just like normal incandescent light. It's not like the very hot (almost bluish) hue of normal fluorescent lights, although that color can be purchased for CFL and is much less energy efficient.
  19. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I don't think it has anything to do with colors... its what it emits... Try using a conventional Fluorescent bulb on a fish tank sometime. Your fish will be constantly sick. Those things promote Bacterial growth! They make 4' bulbs that are $30-$40 each that emit a different wave length...more like the sun that does not have the bad effect. They're like the bulbs that they use to grow plants indoors.

Not only do the cheap Fluorescent lights promote bacterial growth but they are also hard on the eyes. Many eye doctors have told me that over the years.

My theory is this: Fluorescent is unhealthy and unhealthy means more doctor visits and a greater likelyhood of needing glasses... Money is spent on doctor visits and for buying eyeglasses which not only benefits the Doctors and eyeglass places but also puts more of our money into sales tax buying those glasses. This rotten government of our probably pushed this on us for economic reasons!
    It would be interresting to find out WHO lobbied for this change. It might surprise you....

mike
    gn
  20. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

Yes, exactly. I guess my problem is not with the bulbs themselves, but the fact that we'll be forced to switch eventually. I thought liberals were pro-choice !?!??