Light loads for my new toy

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dsv424, Feb 21, 2011.

1. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

I just purchased a Ruger Blackhawk convertible. This is one beautiful gun. As a rule I always buy factory ammo for the first time I shoot a new gun. I picked up some Remington .357 Mag. 125g. HP's. I wasn't quite ready when I shot it for the first time. It about jumped out of my hand. I didn't expect that much recoil and a small grip to hold on to. I have a .44 Mag Raging Bull but it is a much bigger gun and easier to hold on to. My point is does anyone else have some favorite light loads in either .357 Mag. or .38 Special for this gun? In addition, it came with a 9mm wheel so anything you could recommend for this caliber would be appreciated.
  2. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Factory ammo? In .38 the 130 grain Remington load (UMC yellow box) is very mild. The Winchester 110 grain .357 magnum load (white box) is not bad for a .357 magnum load. Most factory 9mm FMJ load will be about halfway between the two loads above.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I wouldnt sweat it too much dsv, getting used to a single action grip is dificult especially in a magnum revolver. But you will get used to it. First time i ever touched off a round out of my SBH .44 mag that damn square trigger guard bit the crap outta me. But I got used to it and heavy magnums werent so bad even one handed. It just takes some getting used to...

If youre dead set on light loads tho, one of my favs is 5 gr titegroup under a 158 gr bullet in a mag case.
  4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

For target .38 Special loads in my Smiths, I use a 158 grain SWC with 3.0g of Bullseye.
  5. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

Thx for the advise guys. I know I'm sounding a bit wimpy about this. But the recoil was a bit more than I anticipated. I can just imagine what its going to be like with a full H110 load!:eek: Looks like me and Mr. Blackhawk will be having some fun adventures in the near future.;)
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

ill tell you a trick that helped me. get you a pair of finger gloves. Like the ones bikers and 80s ninja movie karate fighters wear. they help with grip and prevent the small frame from rubbing your hand raw.
  7. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

Thats a great idea JLA. I think I'll pick some up. Those wood grips are somewhat slick. Thx.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I noticed after I got used to my SBH with the smooth walnut grips, My grip on the pistol was somewhat 'minimal'.. I noticed it was easy for me to control if I floated my little finger like a wine connoiseur suckin on a glass of pinot.

Light loads made extended shooting possible. The small frame will take its toll on your hand with heavy loads, gloves or not...
  9. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

I picked up some weight lifter gloves today and it really helped out with the grip and it is much more manageable with heavy loads. Thanks again for the tip JLA. Ended up shooting nearly a hundred rounds with it today.:)
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

good deal, once you get to where shooting is a breeze with the gloves, try it without them. You will have gained muscle memory and confidence in the small grip frame and the grip shouldnt tear your hand up because youve learned to control it...
  11. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That would have made a nice picture! The one in my mind cracks me up.:D
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

it is hilarious clinger. My wife says i shoot a single action like a fag... But i hit the target.:)
  13. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

I bought my Blackhawk in the early 80's, and added a set of Pachmar grips to the frame. It tamed that beast down to a gentle tiger, and a trigger job would also make you happier, say around 3 pound pull. I feed my about anything I load, but I don't really enjoy hand cannons so I feed it a reduced diet.

The 9mm cylinder makes a great "test" bed for reloaded 9's, if they fit there you can chamber them in anything.