The Firearms Forum banner

Light mod for powder checking

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Tonka magnum 
#1 · (Edited)
I want to share a light set up I added to my press so I can see the powder level in those tall 38/357 cases. When I load for 38/357, I use PowderFunnels.com PTX insert which allows me to use station 3 as a visual powder checker. For all other pistol loads, I use the regular expander die and I'm able to view the powder level (in station 4) without this mod. I do have Inline Fab's dome light and light strip but those do not illuminate inside the 38/357 cases.

Edit: aluminum strip is 1/2" X 1/8" NOT 1/2" X 1/4"

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I always enjoy viewing the ingenuity that's comes along in these forums - good work RCC!

Why not move the powder drop to station 3, your LED strip light would illuminate the charged case in station 4? Pretty sure Hornady intend the system to put a charged case under your nose for that reason.

Reactions: RCC and dbcooper
#6 ·
Why not move the powder drop to station 3, your LED strip light would illuminate the charged case in station 4? Pretty sure Hornady intend the system to put a charged case under your nose for that reason.
For everything but 38/357, I do have my powder measure in station 3. Since I seat and crimp separately, I use all 5 stations. When I'm loading for 380, 9mm, 40, & 45 I can verify the powder level at station 4 due to my LED lights. But when loading taller cases (38/357), I can't see into the case because the strip and dome lights do not shine into the case. So, I had to free up a station just for powder checking. The only way to do that is to use the PTX system which required me to move my powder measure to station 2. Just got done loading some 38 Special and that little pen light worked perfect.

I wish Hornady would come out with a 6 or 7 stage progressive like the new RCBS press. I hope the RCBS progressive takes off which will put pressure on Hornady and Dillon to react.

#10 ·
That's something I haven't done. I know the window is pretty narrow but I'm not sure how much actual variation can be detected. I'll have to try that next time I load some pistol. I do know it can detect a +/- 2.0 gr difference when the target is 5.0 gr of bullseye.

#11 ·
It would also depend on the cartridge you are loading, 2 gns instead of 3gns in a 9mm case would result in more up/down movement of the detection stem than in a .45 case.
So it may lock out for a 9mm but not for a .45.

I can give it a shot for 9mm, got one of them but hardly use it.

#13 ·
I have two led lights that allows me to eyeball the powder level but still use the lockout die as my fail safe. I crimp after completing the initial loading process. Only 5 stations so I just do an extra step and crimp all ammo in one setting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.